ST this year - very, very weak

dave mcbride

Good to know - will do.

I don't even know what to search but early in the year there were writeuos about mechanics and ball placement for them. Crossman has always been a guy that I think is a bit lazy and gets by only when given ridiculous talent and support. Carpenters decline might be a lack of professional coaching.

2016 ST stats:

30th in FG percentage

27th in XP percentage

30th in net punting yardage average

26th in inside-the-20 percentage on punts

21st in kickoff return yardage average

They are 6th in punt return yardage average

Overall, they were pretty bad. In close games, this stuff makes a difference, obviously.

Injuries hurt a lot. But it got worse and worse week after week.

Can we please find a kicker that can boot the ball out of the endzone? Every other kicker in the league can do this it seems.

It was inexcusable that they had to carry 2 kickers - and even more inexcusable that not carrying Gay in the Miami game probably cost them the game! Before that last kickoff, I was saying, my god, for once in your life kick it deep into or out of the EZ. Instead, he kicks a low one that the returner caught at around the 2-3 yard line.

Injuries hurt a lot. But it got worse and worse week after week.

well, that and we didnt carry like 6 guys solely for special teams -- when he was "successful" here we were committing a ton of resources to the squad. even if the rankings were high, the logistics made it a fail.

I don't even know what to search but early in the year there were writeuos about mechanics and ball placement for them. Crossman has always been a guy that I think is a bit lazy and gets by only when given ridiculous talent and support. Carpenters decline might be a lack of professional coaching.

How do you coach an NFL kicker to kick a 33 yard FG. There was a stat earlier where the top ten kickers were 44-45 from 32 or 33 yards but had collectively missed 12 extra points. There may be head games to coach, because it is clearly mental, but there is no strategy to kick a 33 yarder that the veteran kicker doesn't know. Teams aren't given any advantage on defense, if anything they may even try less.

Laziness is probably the key word.

It was inexcusable that they had to carry 2 kickers - and even more inexcusable that not carrying Gay in the Miami game probably cost them the game! Before that last kickoff, I was saying, my god, for once in your life kick it deep into or out of the EZ. Instead, he kicks a low one that the returner caught at around the 2-3 yard line.

That big Logan Thomas signing!!!!

How do you coach an NFL kicker to kick a 33 yard FG. There was a stat earlier where the top ten kickers were 44-45 from 32 or 33 yards but had collectively missed 12 extra points. There may be head games to coach, because it is clearly mental, but there is no strategy to kick a 33 yarder that the veteran kicker doesn't know. Teams aren't given any advantage on defense, if anything they may even try less.

Laziness is probably the key word.

if i recall there were concerns along the lines of just treating it like an extra point and jogging out there instead of getting it spotted at the preferred hash and actually treating it as a real field goal. its been months since i read the article but it really came across as taking them for granted as just an extra point for a decent stretch.

and how do you coach the kicker? you watch his technique, and his habits and you direct him with advice to improve and maximize those

Edited by NoSaint

2016 ST stats:

30th in FG percentage

27th in XP percentage

30th in net punting yardage average

26th in inside-the-20 percentage on punts

21st in kickoff return yardage average

They are 6th in punt return yardage average

Overall, they were pretty bad. In close games, this stuff makes a difference, obviously.

I think poor ST coverage on kickoffs is what lost the game against the Dolphins. Had they not got that great return at the end, we would have kept them out of field goal range.

Oft overlooked, ST is very important, especially in close games.

if i recall there were concerns along the lines of just treating it like an extra point and jogging out there instead of getting it spotted at the preferred hash and actually treating it as a real field goal. its been months since i read the article but it really came across as taking them for granted as just an extra point for a decent stretch.

and how do you coach the kicker? you watch his technique, and his habits and you direct him with advice to improve and maximize those

If the Bills coaches weren't treating it like a 33 yard FG they should have been fired after the second miss last season.

Our coach has had far more disastrous years than good - we gave him a ton to work with to have any success

Not sure how much he was given to work with when Carpender can't do kick off's, was spotty on extra points and then field goals, and Schmidt was a disaster as a punter.