Tyrod Taylor - pick up the option

If another Bills fan tells me they shouldn't pay Tyrod $27 million I'm going to whack them. Its like they're actually writing the check and it's stressing them out. There has to be some sort of clinical term for this phenomena, but in case there isn't, here are few things to keep in mind to ease your stress:

1. Tyrod's base salary next year would only be $3M more than we paid him this year. He'd go from $9M to $12M. The remaining $15M is option bonus money and would be spread out over the length of the deal. So we add another $3M which puts his total cap hit is around $15M. This puts him in the lower half of the NFL qb cap hit, probably around 20th.

2. We aren't signing a franchise qb in the offseason. In case you haven't noticed, with the exception of the super rare Drew Brees scenario (the best F.A. signing of all time) or the rare Payton Manning/Brett Favre end of career moves, that just doesn't happen, and if it did, you'd very likely see them go to a larger market. So we either keep TT, draft a new qb, grab some backup guy or injury prone old timer off the waiver wire, or start Cardale Jones or EJ.

3. Our offense scores a lot of points with Tyrod in there, and that's with a coordinator change mid-season. We rank 6th overall in the NFL. More than Big Ben, Luck, Cousins, Rivers, Dak, Cam etc. OUR OFFENSE SCORES POINTS! At the end of the game, the points matter, there isn't a place on the scoreboard that shows the passing ranking of your qb. Plus it's fun to watch, which for me is equally important. So paying the guy who leads this 26ppg offense below average money is what Terry is going to do.

Don't worry it won't cost you a penny.

Sure it will.

And again you are advocating picking up a 2 maybe 3 year option have to look at contract again for a flawed QB.

Its not next year. Could care less its this

1. bills pick his option guaranteed for 2017 and 2018 you wont see another QB drafted thats not how this organization works. They will wait til they realize he is not good enough then look.

2. If their mind is made up already on Picking Tyrods option up mind as well keep Rex or Lynn ( not ready) because now you are forcing a QB on a coach hire name a good coach that wants to come into that situation with a flawed QB

Edited by MAJBobby

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep really Married to him until after 2019 (unless you use post June 1 cut and spread dead cap two year)

Assessing the Dead Cap

One of the more important factors to note with this contract is the structure of the dead cap, especially with the uncertainty of Taylor's long-term capabilites as a franchise QB. The good news? All of Taylor's salary guarantees lie within the first two years of the deal (2017 & 2018). The less than gooder news? His $15.5M option bonus next March makes for a decent chunk of dead cap toward the backside of this contract.

Assuming the option is exercised, Taylor will carry the following dead cap hits:

Year Dead Cap Hit

2017 $33,603,334

2018 $17,690,000 (addt'l $9.75M kicks in on the 3rd league day)

2019 $10,660,000

2020 $6,880,000

2021 $3,100,000

http://www.spotrac.com/research/NFL/breaking-down-the-numbers-for-tyrod-taylors-option-619/

So you are picking up a 3 year option

If you have season tickets it IS your money.

Or watch TV (ads = your time = your $)

Edited by MAJBobby

And my above post is the EXACT reason i hate picking up the option.

If it truly was a real 1 year option with an easy out OK.

But its not

Not to mention paying Cash 27.5M next year should have just not done the extension and Tagged him.

Is he a 27.5 Million Dollar QB?

Another good point in article.

Assuming a $168,000,000 team salary cap in 2017, the Bills currently have an estimated $32M in cap space, with 36 players under contract, making cap space a bit of a concern, especially with a decimated secondary to rebuild.

First let me point out the ongoing irony on this board.

people here cant help but marry themselves to a guy after a good game or two and wont give up on him then suddenly turn on them as hes run out of buffalo or basically outed as a bust by local media. ie Trint, Mario, SJ, EJ etc

that being said ive been on the fence about taylor never completely blasting him, offering tempered hope at times but now will reveal my official stance on him...

QB attributes I see in Taylor...

arm strength- check

deep ball- check

uses the sideline-married to it but currently separated

uses the middle- FINALLY!

throws with touch- average

accuracy- improves as season continues

throws pics- rarely

fumbles when hit- never

panics and throws ball over head on fourth down- never

uses legs well- best in the league

throws 3 yard passes on third and long- way too often

vocal leader- doesnt need to be, you see how this guy dresses?

Taylor is good, not great, but a weapon at least as good as michael vick was ever imagined to be and now that he is using the middle of the field and his tight-end we see what a tightwad can do when he spends a little cash. I see him actually as a younger more potent version of Flutie. Flutie had a stellar D to work with and got us into the playoffs, Taylor has the "Ryan wrecks" defense.

Flutie left the bills after throwing 3tds and no pics having a 158.3 qbr against the seahawks on dec 23 of 2000 leaving the bills with an 8-8 record in a year where johnson wasted half the season. similarly, Taylor threw 3 tds, and no pics a 115 qbr in possibly his last game in buffalo. I was sad that xmas when Flutie left, I would be sad if Taylor left on the same note.

why wait to start over or get an aging vet when we have a guy in house for decent money whos worse attributes are his reads on third down? that can be fixed by coaching and experience. Andrew Luck he'll never be but Luck will never run like Tightwad and I dont see us drafting 1st overall anytime soon either.

Therefore Ive decided then to make a call to the FO directing them to pick up the option...

Merry xmas everybody.

NO WAY!! Signing us up for eternal purgatory as long as he is the QB. Can't read defenses and has no touch on short and intermediate passes. Way too much money to pay someone with his skills. Yeas he can run, but doesn't go thru his progressions and runs way too much. WIll just wind up getting hurt. We will NEVER win with him...

If another Bills fan tells me they shouldn't pay Tyrod $27 million I'm going to whack them. Its like they're actually writing the check and it's stressing them out. There has to be some sort of clinical term for this phenomena, but in case there isn't, here are few things to keep in mind to ease your stress:

1. Tyrod's base salary next year would only be $3M more than we paid him this year. He'd go from $9M to $12M. The remaining $15M is option bonus money and would be spread out over the length of the deal. So we add another $3M which puts his total cap hit is around $15M. This puts him in the lower half of the NFL qb cap hit, probably around 20th.

2. We aren't signing a franchise qb in the offseason. In case you haven't noticed, with the exception of the super rare Drew Brees scenario (the best F.A. signing of all time) or the rare Payton Manning/Brett Favre end of career moves, that just doesn't happen, and if it did, you'd very likely see them go to a larger market. So we either keep TT, draft a new qb, grab some backup guy or injury prone old timer off the waiver wire, or start Cardale Jones or EJ.

3. Our offense scores a lot of points with Tyrod in there, and that's with a coordinator change mid-season. We rank 6th overall in the NFL. More than Big Ben, Luck, Cousins, Rivers, Dak, Cam etc. OUR OFFENSE SCORES POINTS! At the end of the game, the points matter, there isn't a place on the scoreboard that shows the passing ranking of your qb. Plus it's fun to watch, which for me is equally important. So paying the guy who leads this 26ppg offense below average money is what Terry is going to do.

Don't worry it won't cost you a penny.

I'm with ya man. Good post. Pay the man, draft another QB, hope Cardale can compete, ditch EJ

And my last take on this is where does it say where is the proof this offense WONT score points with a Rookie QB?

It scored 52 with EJ in 2 games in 2015

You mean the one where EJ gave the jags 21 points, then comes back takes the lead and then the refs give the Jags the game on a phantom PI Call? :sick:

You mean the one where EJ gave the jags 21 points, then comes back takes the lead and then the refs give the Jags the game on a phantom PI Call? :sick:

Thats some of those points. But shows that points can be scored alot.

So dont see the evidence that a Rookie QB cant score points either

Don't pay Taylor $27mm!!!!

Bring it buck-o[/s]

I'm in favor of keeping him just as I was Fitzgibbins

Its not our money but we do invest money into the team. And in all respect I can muster, we have been with this team longer than pegula

Edited by Boyst62