Tyrod Taylor - pick up the option

If only we had a top 10 passing QB that was good enough to overcome the issues rest of the team like the myriad of quarterbacks who did it in 2016.

You know, top 10 passing yard QBs who made the playoffs like Drew Brees, Kirk Cousins, Philip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, and Carson Palmer.

I feel bad for the teams starting QBs like Alex Smith, Tom Savage, Ryan Tannehill. Clearly these AFC teams won't have a chance until they find someone better.

If we can just go sign a guy like Hoyer, we'll finally have one of those top tier QBs that can lead us to the playoffs.

Yeah, that didn't sound crazy at all.

Keep continuity of not good enough QBs. It has worked so great for us the last 17 years

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your willing to tank next year you keep Tyrod, 27 Million over 2 years is not a lot for a starting Qb, and the price is only going to go up. Guys not Elite, but gives you a chance to win, I think other then New England, we haven't lost a game by more then 1 score? Could be wrong

Thanks to garbage time points

Yeah that Losman pick kills me all because they did not want to move a couple picks for Big Ben (they loved him) Jesus

The Fact that the Bills dragged their feet for so long acquiring a QB has traumatized us all.

Not only was there a lack of effort, but the ability to scout one. And then the lack of ability to develop one.

I have no reason to believe Bills are any better at those things. I keep Tyrod. aint my money.

and keep drafting till someone displaces him with talent. it will never be a money issue to pay TT what they have on the table, for me.

Thanks to garbage time points

He is the best QB we had had in years and years. If you stop comparing him statistically and stand back for minute.

Like i have said 57 times. Keep drafting.

For the sake of argument (like we need more of that in this thread!), let's say they dump TT. What's the cap hit/cap savings?

Now let's say they trade up to get one of those "can't miss," secretly Wilson/Dak/Brady type guys coming out of college. What will that cost the Bills in draft picks? And then what will it cost to sign a high draft pick? The only way to guarantee they get one of those guys is to move to #1 overall.

The current back up is EJ. It would seem to make sense to keep him if you're getting rid of TT just for continuity somewhere in the QB room but that would mean a new contract. So they would probably let him go too. That leaves 11-career-games Cardale as your back up to the "can't miss" college QB. Unless Cardale is knocking their socks off right now, he will likely remain the #3 for another year. So you need another QB to replace EJ as the back up. Who might that be? And how much would that cost? Would that turmoil in the QB room not be a negative going into the next season?

Add it up: It will cost a boatload of picks to move up from #11 (minimum two first round picks and several others), the new kid will have a multi-million dollar GUARANTEED contract even though the new kid will come with ZERO guarantees that he can play adequately in the NFL much less come close to the offensive numbers the Bills have been putting up with TT. If he sucks -- and the three names put forward don't instill much belief in me -- then you're out the money, the draft picks and probably out of the playoffs for another couple of years minimum.

On the other hand, you could stick with TT for another year for a price that, while it's not cheap, is about right for where he is in the rankings, expend your draft picks on the D, and await next year's draft, when the QB class seems to be much better. New HC with the right D coordinator, holes plugged, and the O matching at least this year's effort right down to the inadequacies and you have an easy 10 or 11 win season IMO. I'll take that in a heart beat for a "transition" year.

For the sake of argument (like we need more of that in this thread!), let's say they dump TT. What's the cap hit/cap savings?

Now let's say they trade up to get one of those "can't miss," secretly Wilson/Dak/Brady type guys coming out of college. What will that cost the Bills in draft picks? And then what will it cost to sign a high draft pick? The only way to guarantee they get one of those guys is to move to #1 overall.

The current back up is EJ. It would seem to make sense to keep him if you're getting rid of TT just for continuity somewhere in the QB room but that would mean a new contract. So they would probably let him go too. That leaves 11-career-games Cardale as your back up to the "can't miss" college QB. Unless Cardale is knocking their socks off right now, he will likely remain the #3 for another year. So you need another QB to replace EJ as the back up. Who might that be? And how much would that cost? Would that turmoil in the QB room not be a negative going into the next season?

Add it up: It will cost a boatload of picks to move up from #11 (minimum two first round picks and several others), the new kid will have a multi-million dollar GUARANTEED contract even though the new kid will come with ZERO guarantees that he can play adequately in the NFL much less come close to the offensive numbers the Bills have been putting up with TT. If he sucks -- and the three names put forward don't instill much belief in me -- then you're out the money, the draft picks and probably out of the playoffs for another couple of years minimum.

On the other hand, you could stick with TT for another year for a price that, while it's not cheap, is about right for where he is in the rankings, expend your draft picks on the D, and await next year's draft, when the QB class seems to be much better. New HC with the right D coordinator, holes plugged, and the O matching at least this year's effort right down to the inadequacies and you have an easy 10 or 11 win season IMO. I'll take that in a heart beat for a "transition" year.

Your rookie max first year is maybe 1M cap hit.

So there is 15M in cap savings

Or

Alshon Jeffery, Andrew Whitworth and Eric Berry

I know it's difficult to sit here and drink in our 17th consecutive season without the playoffs, it sure is for me (that's more than half my life).

But let's not look at every other team and try to copy them, as though all of the teams are playing in a vacuum. There is not a coincidence to the fact that Brady/Bellichek has had all of their success during our drought. Other teams make their moves and squeak into the playoffs from their annual turnstile of divisions, as the 4 teams in each division typically rise and fall.

Not New England. We have been stuck behind them, only leaving us to fight for a wild card spot amongst the other 11 non-division winners, and sometimes we are there for the spot until the end, and sometimes we just don't have the team, and are out early. But to compare us to almost any other team but the Jets or Dolphins would be inaccurate. No, we haven't been great, but we also haven't been "no playoffs in 2 decades" bad, on our own, until you factor in who has been stuck at the top of our division, blocking the most likely path to the playoffs every team has (where they compete with 3 other teams, to win the division, vs. 10 others that we have had to fight through to get to the wildcard spot).

I don't think we're as bad as it seems, and things will improve in the next 2 or 3 years, when NE weakens. Just don't blow it up now, as an overreaction.

Have faith. We will get there.

Please stop this. To blame Tyrod for the Raiders debacle is nonsense. And Tyrod threw an awesome game in Seattle.

So tiresome.

Nope get a score when it matters.

Buh bye.

4 losses

Sea - get a Score QB many top 15 do to close the game

Raiders - complete a pass QB stop giving 3 and outs and short fields when game on line

Ravens - Do something QB like really look like you belong

MIA - get a score when it matters QB you know the two cracks in OT you had

Have a better record than 1 or 2 wins QB when trailing by 4 points or more at any point in the game.

See can ask alot more from a QB

Your rookie max first year is maybe 1M cap hit.

So there is 15M in cap savings

Or

Alshon Jeffery, Andrew Whitworth and Eric Berry

Really? You can sign the Number One pick for a million bucks? Damn! Might as well get a baker's dozen while you're at it.

Please stop this. To blame Tyrod for the Raiders debacle is nonsense. And Tyrod threw an awesome game in Seattle.

So tiresome.

He did Seattle was his best game ever to that point in his career

Also had what QBs dream up ball in his hand game on the line AND Failed

Raiders he is not all to blame (just like all games for the most part)

But football is a team sport his hanging the defense out to dry whej Raiders started Rolling was a factor. Sorry you just dont want to admit it

Really? You can sign the Number One pick for a million bucks? Damn! Might as well get a baker's dozen while you're at it.

Yeah why dont you go look at the Rookie cap hits might not be a million. Actually just looked his cap would likely be closer to 4 cause if the QB premium.

Still can get the Jefferies,Berry and Vollmer (went cheaper on RT now) and Rookie QB for Taylors cap hit

Edited by MAJBobby

QB attributes I see in Taylor...

arm strength- check

deep ball- check

uses the sideline-married to it but currently separated

uses the middle- FINALLY!

throws with touch- average

accuracy- improves as season continues

throws pics- rarely

fumbles when hit- never

panics and throws ball over head on fourth down- never

uses legs well- best in the league

throws 3 yard passes on third and long- way too often

vocal leader- doesnt need to be, you see how this guy dresses?

Missed one:

throws away ball rather than be sacked: too seldom

My disagreement:

throws with touch- poor

The screen pass seems to be a major weakness for him and it is not his height; other shorter QBs are able to use screens. Combining poor touch on throws and poor screen thrower my decision would be to bring in a QB expert not associated with team to determine if issue is correctable before making decision.

Ok cool yet EVERY advisor of Pegula has been a part of the Suck for years

Prove to me Taylor does in 2017 and you have an argument

Yeah i am crazy. I shouldnt be asking my QB to win me a football game. Jesus commit me

Did Dallas know they were gonna get the leagues 12 scoring Rookie? And secure a playoff run?

I originally wanted the Bills to move on from Tyrod but your such a giant douche about it that I hope they keep him now.

Yeah why dont you go look at the Rookie cap hits might not be a million. Actually just looked his cap would likely be closer to 4 cause if the QB premium.

Still can get the Jefferies,Berry and Vollmer (went cheaper on RT now) and Rookie QB for Taylors cap hit

You realize it isn't just the cap hit, right? You're on the hook for his contract even if the guy turns out to be a complete waste.

Edited by yungmack

I originally wanted the Bills to move on from Tyrod but your such a giant douche about it that I hope they keep him now.

I hope they do too. And hope everyone stays healthy and see if he can prove me wrong on what type of QB he is. Ifnhe doesnt more people will start to see it

You realize it isn't just the cap hit, right? You're on the hook for his contract even if the guy turns out to be a complete waste.

Yep and big deal. Such a small cap hit you can afford him as your clipboard holder.

What hurts is when you have a 16M clipboard holder because you cant het away from it because of dead cap

I know it's difficult to sit here and drink in our 17th consecutive season without the playoffs, it sure is for me (that's more than half my life).

But let's not look at every other team and try to copy them, as though all of the teams are playing in a vacuum. There is not a coincidence to the fact that Brady/Bellichek has had all of their success during our drought. Other teams make their moves and squeak into the playoffs from their annual turnstile of divisions, as the 4 teams in each division typically rise and fall.

Not New England. We have been stuck behind them, only leaving us to fight for a wild card spot amongst the other 11 non-division winners, and sometimes we are there for the spot until the end, and sometimes we just don't have the team, and are out early. But to compare us to almost any other team but the Jets or Dolphins would be inaccurate. No, we haven't been great, but we also haven't been "no playoffs in 2 decades" bad, on our own, until you factor in who has been stuck at the top of our division, blocking the most likely path to the playoffs every team has (where they compete with 3 other teams, to win the division, vs. 10 others that we have had to fight through to get to the wildcard spot).

I don't think we're as bad as it seems, and things will improve in the next 2 or 3 years, when NE weakens. Just don't blow it up now, as an overreaction.

Have faith. We will get there.

No one's saying to look at EVERY other team in the league and copy them... -Just the GOOD ones!

And why not?

What ignoramus would knowingly reject a great idea that wasn't copyright protected?!

We've been stuck behind NE because our front office, and sideline is NOWHERE NEAR as good as theirs... Point blank... As long as Belichick and Kraft are there, expect that to be the case...

Sad, that you propose waiting for Tom Brady's 64th B'day for us to finally worm our way into the playoffs... Just SAD!

If another Bills fan tells me they shouldn't pay Tyrod $27 million I'm going to whack them. Its like they're actually writing the check and it's stressing them out. There has to be some sort of clinical term for this phenomena, but in case there isn't, here are few things to keep in mind to ease your stress:

1. Tyrod's base salary next year would only be $3M more than we paid him this year. He'd go from $9M to $12M. The remaining $15M is option bonus money and would be spread out over the length of the deal. So we add another $3M which puts his total cap hit is around $15M. This puts him in the lower half of the NFL qb cap hit, probably around 20th.

2. We aren't signing a franchise qb in the offseason. In case you haven't noticed, with the exception of the super rare Drew Brees scenario (the best F.A. signing of all time) or the rare Payton Manning/Brett Favre end of career moves, that just doesn't happen, and if it did, you'd very likely see them go to a larger market. So we either keep TT, draft a new qb, grab some backup guy or injury prone old timer off the waiver wire, or start Cardale Jones or EJ.

3. Our offense scores a lot of points with Tyrod in there, and that's with a coordinator change mid-season. We rank 6th overall in the NFL. More than Big Ben, Luck, Cousins, Rivers, Dak, Cam etc. OUR OFFENSE SCORES POINTS! At the end of the game, the points matter, there isn't a place on the scoreboard that shows the passing ranking of your qb. Plus it's fun to watch, which for me is equally important. So paying the guy who leads this 26ppg offense below average money is what Terry is going to do.

Don't worry it won't cost you a penny.