Just spitballing an idea for continuity.

Tipster19

I'm no fan of Rex & Thurman and wouldn't shed a tear if they got the boot but thinking this through a bit I'm not excited to see this team go through another rebuilding process again. Here's an idea that I'' kicking around and would appreciate some opinions on some of the aspects of it.

To keep some continuity what if the Bills got rid of Rex & Thurman, promoted Anthony Lynn to HC and rehired Mike Pettine as D.C. and with him brought back Donnie Henderson as the secondary coach again? This would be the framework and the rest of the coaching staff could be ironed out after this structure was in place. I think that this keeps the basic principles of Rex' defense and be able to utilize the players that we currently have instead of drafting and/or acquiring other players to suit some other new defensive scheme.

I'm not against promoting Lynn, but I do not want Pettine. He runs a worse version of Rex's defense, one that cannot stop the run. I mentioned in another thread that I think the way to go is to promote Lynn, and bring in a vet DC looking to restore his name and get a (nother) chance at HC. I had in mind Bradley from Jax, but I'm sure there are 4 other guys who would fit that bill.

OK, say the Bills go that way. Jettison all/part of the defensive coaching staff and promote Lynn to HC.

Here's a question: what do we know about Lynn and his ability to create an NFL offense that can operate a proficient passing game?

Even if they went out and drafted the next Tom Brady, the bread crumbs out there on what that passing offense might look like are, well, not exactly clear. (And yes, the inaccurate TT and his posse of street receivers do have something to do with that picture, no doubt.)

I'd be ok with keeping Lynn as HC and hiring Bradley to run the D, if changes are made.

Shanahan is making some noise in HC circles with the offense he's been able to produce this year in Atlanta, he'll get a job this year I bet.

If we're going continuity, I liked the idea from someone who said that Haley is friends with Lynn, so HC Haley, OC Lynn, and something along the lines of DC Bradley and you've got a nice little staff there.

I like this, just wonder if Haley can be a good HC? I know he can OC.

I've seen enough of Lynn to say, no thanks!

There have been several games this season in which the run game falters and Lynn has no answer except to put the game on the QB's shoulders to throw. We Bills fans have seen enough of this over the years,

When the run game gets shut down where is the ingenuity from Lynn to get it working again?? That is what got Greg Roman fired in the first place! The 2016 Buffalo Bills are a run-first team and when they run they usually can win.

The Bills have a running QB, a superstar at RB and a solid offensive line. So there is no reason to allow any team to shut down the Bills run game like they have in several games or to simply stop running the ball.

Edited by Nihilarian

I'm not against promoting Lynn, but I do not want Pettine. He runs a worse version of Rex's defense, one that cannot stop the run. I mentioned in another thread that I think the way to go is to promote Lynn, and bring in a vet DC looking to restore his name and get a (nother) chance at HC. I had in mind Bradley from Jax, but I'm sure there are 4 other guys who would fit that bill.

I am against promoting Lynn.

People have this idea that Pettine's D was good. It wasn't. It ranked 20th in points against. They allowed 388 points that season. More than Ryan's D allowed last year and, unless the Bills allow 75 points in the last two games, more than Ryan's allowed this year.

Why do we want to swap Ryan for Pettine?

If we're going continuity, I liked the idea from someone who said that Haley is friends with Lynn, so HC Haley, OC Lynn, and something along the lines of DC Bradley and you've got a nice little staff there.

I like this idea better than promoting Lynn, but I really like that staff with an OC who can develop a QB.

OK, say the Bills go that way. Jettison all/part of the defensive coaching staff and promote Lynn to HC.

Here's a question: what do we know about Lynn and his ability to create an NFL offense that can operate a proficient passing game?

Even if they went out and drafted the next Tom Brady, the bread crumbs out there on what that passing offense might look like are, well, not exactly clear. (And yes, the inaccurate TT and his posse of street receivers do have something to do with that picture, no doubt.)

My biggest knock on the current staff and why Im ready to move on.

Build a coaching staff with QB development as the main idea.