Chef Knives...What Is Your Favorite?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I worked professionally everyone had high end knives. It was like if you didn't have a super expensive knife you couldn't cook. Finally I said "!@#$ it!" I can cook circles around you guys and my knives have nothing to do with it. Ever since I've gone with decent knives but nothing expensive. I have a drawer full and can't remember the last time I bought a new one. Been probabaly 20 years.

Edited by Chef Jim

When I worked professionally everyone had high end knives. It was like if you didn't have a super expensive knuve you couldn't cook. Finally I said "!@#$ it!" I can cook circles around you guys and my knives have nothing to do with it. Ever since I've gone with decent knives but nothing expensive. I have a drawer full and can't remember the last time I bought a new one. Been probabaly 20 years.

That's why I love my Victorinox..$34 and its freaking awesome.

Interesting topic, for me at least, because while my knife skills are not great, I genuinely enjoy the part of cooking that requires slicing, dicing, mincing, etc.

My father-in-law brought me my first serious chef's knife about 10 years ago (Wustof), and after using "knife sets," it was like the first time I heard Lyle Lovett's "Here I Am" on high-end speakers.

About a year-and-a-half agoI was introduced to these new knifes, tried one out and fell in love. It's like they cut the handle to fit my hand, yet it's light as can be. I got the 8" and 10" chef's knives, though I probably could live with just the 8".

A lot of cash, but completely worth it to me. Can't imagine needing another knife ever again.

Cool looking blade ...

I actually like the heavier feel. But I'm just playing in the kitchen, so what do i know?

What you know is actually all you need to know.

If you like the heavier feel, then that's the right knife for you.

If you are so insanely incredible as a chef that you have no problem using a Ginsu 'made for TV' knife, then that's the right knife for you.

We spend so much time trying to use what every one says is right that we forget that if it's right for us, then what everyone else thinks is pretty much useless.

If your hand is 100% on the handle and not the blade you have less control. Most of my hand is on the blade not the handle.

I tried holding a knife different tonight, about 25% on the blade, and could already feel the difference simply cutting up pepperoni and cheese for tomorrows party.

I think the SD security guard may have had the right technique, unfortunately, timing and location are also issues....

I tried holding a knife different tonight, about 25% on the blade, and could already feel the difference simply cutting up pepperoni and cheese for tomorrows party.

I've also moved up even more on the blade, with my right forefinger above a certain notch. It will takes some getting used to, but I can tell it's better.