In what order do these four need to go:

jester43

Rex, Rex, Rex, and Rex

He destroyed this defense. The offense puts up enough points to win with even the 10th ranked defense. Mario was right. Hughes is right. His defense is too complicated for the players to figure out and conversely isn't fooling anyone.

Get rid of Rex, go back to the 4-3 one gap penetrating defense that puts pressure on the offensive line up the middle.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Whaley- I wouldn't let him draft my FF team next year

2. Tyrod- that contract, that brain

3. Rex - players aren't buying what he is selling

4. Russ - Hands Off!

5. Pegula's - Hands off!

1-3 are possibilities, 4-5 are not happening...I can only hope the new owners start taking advice from someone who knows the game.

I don't want any of them to go.

But i do want them to get their s**t together.

If you are being serious, I mostly agree with you.

I have reached the point where Taylor probably has to go, I'm good with that, But I'm fine with the other 3 staying.

Just a note:

The Bills have stated sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times that Whaley has full control over the 53-man roster that it's actually boring to hear it at this point.

If anyone can find anything that disputes that, anywhere, I'd be interested to see it.

The language has been plain as day: "Doug Whaley has full control over the 53-man roster". I am asking for an example of a direct statement otherwise, since some people seem to want to make that claim. It almost feels like an agenda :lol:

Not "I saw a picture of Russ in the draft room", or "Russ was on the phone with Glenn Gronkowski", or "he was in the room when a guy was cut". That's useless information when you have clean-and-clear statements from the owner, president, and GM that contradict it.

If this article doesn't state the situation perfectly, I don't know what will:

http://buffalonews.com/2014/10/18/bills-brandon-excited-about-future-under-pegulas-ownership/

"Doug Whaley has full control over the personnel and the 53-man roster,"

“Buddy Nix completely ran the football operations. You have your scouts and your personnel, but at the end of the day the responsibility of every draft is the person pulling the tag. I was just stating the facts. In the 2013 draft, Buddy Nix was general manager."

“My responsibility is to empower people, and Doug Whaley is empowered to run the football operations. This year was his first draft as general manager. That being said, no one is running away from anything. Doug was very involved in that 2013 draft. There’s ownership across the board, but my point was that was Buddy’s draft."

“At the end of the day, the general manager makes the decision, just like Whales made the decision to move up and take Sammy Watkins. That was his job, his responsibility, and that’s what he’ll be graded on down the road.”

"There is distinctly a football side and a business side here. You probably don’t know the names Peter McLoughlin and Joe Ellis. They’re the two presidents of the teams in the Super Bowl last year. We all have similar roles. Look in our division. You probably don’t know the names Neil Glat and Tom Garfinkel. They’re the presidents of the Jets and Dolphins.

“When it comes to the football decisions, Doug Whaley and Coach Marrone have 100 percent full autonomy. They are empowered to make those decisions. We talk as a group, as an organization. But I think we’re set up like most organizations where your coach and GM collaborate and make decisions that are football decisions.

“I don’t get involved in who we draft or how we draft. I get involved in the administration of the day-to-day operation, and my responsibility is to make sure they have every resource to be successful. I feel that we have continued to provide them with everything they need to be successful as we continue with this process. I think we’re built like most organizations that way.”

Just a note:

The Bills have stated sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times that Whaley has full control over the 53-man roster that it's actually boring to hear it at this point.

If anyone can find anything that disputes that, anywhere, I'd be interested to see it.

The language has been plain as day: "Doug Whaley has full control over the 53-man roster". I am asking for an example of a direct statement otherwise, since some people seem to want to make that claim. It almost feels like an agenda :lol:

Not "I saw a picture of Russ in the draft room", or "Russ was on the phone with Glenn Gronkowski", or "he was in the room when a guy was cut". That's useless information when you have clean-and-clear statements from the owner, president, and GM that contradict it.

Correct.

Whaley - Control of the personnel department and the 53

Rex - Game day roster and coaching staff

Russ - Business ops, administration ops and football budgets

They could not have been clearer.

Correct.

Whaley - Control of the personnel department and the 53

Rex - Game day roster and coaching staff

Russ - Business ops, administration ops and football budgets

They could not have been clearer.

Careful, you'll soon be labeled a shill for the organization, because only a shill would tell people what the organization has been saying consistently for the last 3+ years and has never once deviated from.

It's really simple for me: if you think Whaley has done a poor job, then he should go, and since you believe he's done a poor job, then you probably want Russ gone as well (since he hired and promoted Whaley).

If you think that Whaley has done a good enough job to stay, then Brandon should stay as well, since he's the guy that put this footbal structure into place back in 2013.

Either way, Taylor and Ryan should go, because neither is getting the job done.

Edited by thebandit27

Careful, you'll soon be labeled a shill for the organization, because only a shill would tell people what the organization has been saying consistently for the last 3+ years and has never once deviated from.

It's really simple for me: if you think Whaley has done a poor job, then he should go, and since you believe he's done a poor job, then you probably want Russ gone as well (since he hired and promoted Whaley).

If you think that Whaley has done a good enough job to stay, then Brandon should stay as well, since he's the guy that put this footbal structure into place back in 2013.

Either way, Taylor and Ryan should go, because neither is getting the job done.

Everyone is searching for a bogeyman. Brandon fits in with their conspiratorial narrative. The standard football organizational structure was established with Nix. Then that standard organizational structure was further solidified when Whaley took over and brought in people he wanted.

The Bills have struggled because the front office, coaching staff and ownership have not consistently enough made the right decisions. Do you want to know how to change the irrational belief that Brandon is the lurking evil presence that is sabotaging this team? Get a freaking qb that can read defenses and throw accurately!!!!!

Everyone is searching for a bogeyman. Brandon fits in with their conspiratorial narrative. The standard football organizational structure was established with Nix. Then that standard organizational structure was further solidified when Whaley took over and brought in people he wanted.

The Bills have struggled because the front office, coaching staff and ownership have not consistently enough made the right decisions. Do you want to know how to change the irrational belief that Brandon is the lurking evil presence that is sabotaging this team? Get a freaking qb that can read defenses and throw accurately!!!!!

Seriously.

"Getting" a QB isn't like getting hit with a meteor. You need people in place who can identify and develop a young QB. You also need an organizational commitment... if not, desperation to find one.

The Bills have failed across the board in those areas as an organization.

While I'll agree they need a QB.

The blueprint for this team was to run the ball and score enough points on offense(which they do) while playing shutdown defense. Where the !@#$ is the defense?

I'll say it again. They would easily be a playoff team with the 2014 defense and this offense.

The loquacious and moronic HC that was hired took an effective defense managed by two prior DCs and scrambled it to fit his preconceived antiquated notion on how to run a defense. The self-proclaimed defensive guru was so smart that he out-smarted himself and demonstrated how much of a dope he was.

When you watch the Bills and compare their offense to most offenses in the league it is apparent that their passing game (in a pass dominant league) is so basic that it can be described as primitive. This team's record of generational futility is not going to change until the qb play at the minimum rises to the level of average competency.

4. Rex Ryan...everyone's big scapegoat. I don't think the roster he inherited is as great as everyone makes it out to be. I think weak quarterbacking is a huge problem for this defense...as is haorrible depth. No one talks about it, but this TWO YEARS IN A ROW we bagan to suck badly on defense as soon as Aaron Williams went down. Yet, Rex gets blamed for that. Ok. I guess it's sort of his fault that Duke Williams never could pull his head out of his ass, but why is Duke Williams even on the roster?? Again, see #1 and #2 above.

I'll bite. It does seem like there's something to the idea that Rex's D completely needs a "coach on the field" at safety to handle all the complicated checks, or maybe it needs one at safety and another at LB. But if that's the case, then Rex needs to loudly and frequently tell his GM to go get him more than one safety who can fill that role!

I'm not convinced that the Williams injury is really that critical - it makes just as much sense that we happened to play 4 bad offenses in a row, and that also coincided with a random streak of good play by the D. But if it is all about the Williams injury, then that, to me, is on Rex. He's the one who knows his scheme and its requirements. He's the one running practices, who can tell who is capable of running the D and who isn't. He knows which safeties he's had in the past who "got it", and can suggest those guys to Whaley.

Agree completely with John from Hemet:

Brandon is exceptional as a marketer, like him or not. That's critical, particularly in the Buffalo market. Retain and control him.

Rex must go now. The game passed him by and he can't recognize it. Success in the past in a changing environment does not necessarily translate to success in the future.

Agree on Whaley, too. Let him fulfill his title.

TT: cannot/does not make sense to retain with his existing contract. If he's willing to renegotiate, fine, else let him walk.

Just a note:

----------------------------

The three main people in this discussion have also said, repeatedly in interviews, that they use more of a 'team' approach between this brain trust to make decisions.

Given what has transpired since Rex came aboard, I believe that to be more reality than the drivel regarding these specific quotes you mention (knock intended for them, not you).

A 'team' approach to decision making, with no one at the helm, is a recipe for disaster (which I mentioned in another thread).