In defense of Rex....

Webster Guy

Not sure about Rex being defensible, but here are four reasons why I don't want to see a coaching change.

1) From an outside point of view (not crazy fans over analyzing everything) any team that burns through six coaches since 2008 is a hot mess. With obvious organizational issues, no sane coach would want to go into a meat grinder like that. Let the Pegula's establish some stability and "street cred" around the league. While the Bills are a huge disappointment, they have been a 500 team for the last three years, and sadly enough that is improvement from the previous 10 plus debacles.

2) It was silly to bring in a 3-4 coach to come in and coach a team whose strength was a 4-3 defense with no QB. We didn't have the players to run the 3-4. We have "some" now, so it's hard to tell if it's the players, the coach, or both at fault for the poor D.

3) Rex is not a great head coach- (see timeouts, schemes, gameplans, penalties etc) and only a great head coach can overcome the massive injuries we've had. Not an excuse, but it is a reason. Let this play out with a full hand.

4) No franchise QB. What are the Bills supposed to do with a guy like Tyrod?? Air it out? Ground and Pound is a must for now

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a hypothetical:

The Seahawks have playmakers all over their defense--Sherman, Bennet, Wagner, Chancellor, Thomas.

We haven't had a single playmaker on defense since Rex took over.

If Pete and Rex switched rosters, do folks here honestly believe that the players mentioned above would slip into obscurity under Rex and that under Pete, equivalents to Sherman, Bennet, Wagner, Chancellor and Thomas would emerge?

I have my doubts.

I acknowledge that the right coach shouldn't have to have all-stars at every level of his defense. It just so happens that the best defenses typically do.

While our defense may not have had the same level of talent as the loaded Seahawks D, but let's not forget how dominant the roster was under Schwartz. All 4 guys on the line were all-stars, the DBs were playing good ball too. Do you think the defense the Hawks run is closer to a Schwartz D or a Rex D? Realistically it's probably close to the middle, but I don't think Carroll would ever run the defense like they are scared of the QB. The defensive playcalling against the Raiders in the second half was brutal. The idea that he's carving up the defense, so rush 3 and drop more into coverage time and time again? That's basically giving up.

What more needs to be said? And that's his forte

Assuming a 4-3 defense that's strength is it's d-line would be great 2 years later when two of your linemen are over 30 years old and one is a pothead is insane. Also, take away your best safety and replace him with nobody, and a good linebacker in Bradham. But whatever, bring back Schwartz and Mario Williams, and Bills Defense would be great regardless of whether Kyle Williams or Dareus play. And Bills went 9-7 (aided by playing Patriots backups)-They didn't win Superbowl. They lost to 3-13 team when could have made playoffs.

And don't forget THEIR QUARTERBACK RETIRED and they didn't have first round pick following year. Really set up for success with that team.

Its always tough to say whether it's the Coach or the players. Guy like Pete Carroll is successful because that D is stacked and his QB is great. If Rex coaches that same team with that great secondary and QB, I think he would have the same results.

And his great QB threw FIVE Ints. this weekend.

I want to see how the team plays the last three weeks of the season. The team knows that they have a slim shot at the playoffs and that Rex's chances to keep his job are greatly improved by winning out. So their play over the next three games is indicative of how the locker room feels about Rex. If they play hard win out and look good I think you can make the case that after a 9-7 season the Bills have a compelling case to keep Rex. 8-8 or worse more than likely means Rex is gone although not a lock 100%.

PLEASE!!! Tell me what coach and front office, anywhere in the NFL (at least winners), that would inherit a 9 - 7 team, with the 4th best defense, with playoff expectations, that lets his DC walk and reconstructs the defense where the finish in the bottom 20 the two following years!

PLEASE!!! Tell me what coach and front office, anywhere in the NFL (at least winners), that would inherit a 9 - 7 team, with the 4th best defense, with playoff expectations, that lets his DC walk and reconstructs the defense where the finish in the bottom 20 the two following years!

Those are pretty specific parameters. Probably hard to find. Again, if had Jim Schwartz then this team would have a 4-3 defense with one all of a sudden washed up d-linemen, one injured (Kyle Williams), and one suspended and then injured. Their D-line last week would have been Dareus (who is probably injured) and Jerry Hughes. And they have no safeties. And their linebackers are garbage-Actually i shouldn't say that since I assume only Doug Whaley gets credit for getting anything out of Lorenzo Alexander and Z Brown since Rex cant do anything right. Seems like superbowl team to me. Doesn't matter that had no first round pick, and no QB and your best WR has been injured all year. And BTW-I know you all love Whaley for getting Incognito and Shady but my guess is that Rex had something to do with that decision as he is the ground and pound guy.

The legacy of the '14 defense continues to evolve into mythic proportions.

That defense was great at rushing the passer and it is too bad it couldn't have played with more leads late in games.

But that defense was hardly dominant in the true football sense of the word. It simply could not be counted on to stop an opponent when it absolutely had to at critical junctures. They had their moments, but they were a far cry from the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, and the more recent Seahawks defenses.

Didn't Gregg Williams do that too when he came here? Threw out wade's top-5 defense for his precious 46 scheme?

Interestingly, the Bills defense has given up just 11 yards more per game (less than 3 yards difference per quarter) than the Saintly Jim Schwartz's Philly defense which (I have read here) has done Schwartzy things.

Edited by Peter

Those are pretty specific parameters. Probably hard to find. Again, if had Jim Schwartz then this team would have a 4-3 defense with one all of a sudden washed up d-linemen, one injured (Kyle Williams), and one suspended and then injured. Their D-line last week would have been Dareus (who is probably injured) and Jerry Hughes. And they have no safeties. And their linebackers are garbage-Actually i shouldn't say that since I assume only Doug Whaley gets credit for getting anything out of Lorenzo Alexander and Z Brown since Rex cant do anything right. Seems like superbowl team to me. Doesn't matter that had no first round pick, and no QB and your best WR has been injured all year. And BTW-I know you all love Whaley for getting Incognito and Shady but my guess is that Rex had something to do with that decision as he is the ground and pound guy.

You should change your screen name to Chief Excuse Maker. Make sure you leave no stone unturned in your search for more lame excuses for Rex's lame ass defenses. You want him back, I think the Bills ought to give him right back to the Jets so we can play his defenses again and crush them repeatedly.

Guy has been given 2 years to prove himself. All he has accomplished is making a defense worse than it was when he got here. 2 Years is enough in my opinion. I give him a pass on the lame passing offense. But he does not deserve a pass with what he has done to this defense. He sucks. Face it. Way over-rated as a defensive coach. Proof is on Sunday week after week.

Edited by PolishDave

I used to pound the continuity drum. I just can't do it anymore.

I don't believe this is a great roster. But it's an average one. And with an average-ish head coach, we're getting average-ish results.

Give him a better roster, Rex will win more games. But he's not getting us to the Super Bowl. And that's the goal.

continuity. A pipe dream

I would have liked one more yr with marrone. I didn't want him or think the team needed him another yr further. He would have shaped up our team, for better or for worse without the qb. Which is how Whaley built this team. The qb is last.

Come 2016 we could and would have had the chance to bring in a better coach after likely not making the playoffs. Or retain him a 1 yr prove it contract. He was good for our team. We just did not have pieces in place tohelp him.

Interestingly, the Bills defense has given up just 11 yards more per game (less than 3 yards difference per quarter) than the Saintly Jim Schwartz's Philly defense which (I have read here) has done Schwartzy things.

which means slightly more than nothing means already. 11 yards more per game and defensive statistics are one of the most absurd measuring sticks around. The trained eye and sniff test go a lot further.

Here's a hypothetical:

The Seahawks have playmakers all over their defense--Sherman, Bennet, Wagner, Chancellor, Thomas.

We haven't had a single playmaker on defense since Rex took over.

If Pete and Rex switched rosters, do folks here honestly believe that the players mentioned above would slip into obscurity under Rex and that under Pete, equivalents to Sherman, Bennet, Wagner, Chancellor and Thomas would emerge?

I have my doubts.

I acknowledge that the right coach shouldn't have to have all-stars at every level of his defense. It just so happens that the best defenses typically do.

potential droy Darby. Among the best in his position Gilmore. All pro Dareus and incognito. Perennial power meatball kyle Williams. All pro Mario Williams. Up and coming Hughes. A potential break out player in Bradham (yes, remember he was listed as breakout for 2015). Mccoy, Watkins on offense are also fairly a bit ok

I want to see how the team plays the last three weeks of the season. The team knows that they have a slim shot at the playoffs and that Rex's chances to keep his job are greatly improved by winning out. So their play over the next three games is indicative of how the locker room feels about Rex. If they play hard win out and look good I think you can make the case that after a 9-7 season the Bills have a compelling case to keep Rex. 8-8 or worse more than likely means Rex is gone although not a lock 100%.

I look at this the same way.

and to be honest, i really like a Coach who players rally around. Regardless of said Coaches faults

In todays league, you have to run a defense that allows for players off the street to mentally check in in short order. The CBA doesn't allow nearly enough time in practice for an encyclopedia's worth of installation. With a 3-4 base, it is more specialty players in the front seven and once again, when injury strikes, they are even harder to replace. With more dynamic offenses using the hurry-up, the difficulty for substitutions for a complex 3-4 are compounded. It's a passing league and bend but don't break is not a bad approach. Rush the passer and play 2 deep safeties. Fatigue affects the mind, and the players just have to think to damn much in his scheme. Even Belicheck moved to a 4-3 and simplified the schemes, which saves some money on the defensive side and allows more money to be allocated to the offense. The CBA, injuries, spread offenses, and the no-huddle in today's NFL make Rex's approach outdated. The combine is predominately physical, not mental. Why run a defense that mitigates your tangible assets that can be measured and observed full speed just to handicap them with ancient schematic complexities with little time to practice it all.

Edited by RealityCheck

lol'd Peter!!

but tis true enough. I too was there for the Schwartzing. Guy had some great high points for sure.

You should change your screen name to Chief Excuse Maker. Make sure you leave no stone unturned in your search for more lame excuses for Rex's lame ass defenses. You want him back, I think the Bills ought to give him right back to the Jets so we can play his defenses again and crush them repeatedly.

Guy has been given 2 years to prove himself. All he has accomplished is making a defense worse than it was when he got here. 2 Years is enough in my opinion. I give him a pass on the lame passing offense. But he does not deserve a pass with what he has done to this defense. He sucks. Face it. Way over-rated as a defensive coach. Proof is on Sunday week after week.

I would love to have him back. He hasn't done a good job with this defense-just pointing out that this notion that you guys deserve a superbowl because went 9-7 and had returning over 30 year olds who got injured/washed up and another suspended and had a Retired QB (kind of important position) with no first round draft pick is absolutely nuts. Bills fans, and probably their players also, think that because they went 9-7 and could have made playoffs but lost to 3-13 team instead they actually won something. All I'm pointing out is that if you had Schwartz, his 4-3 defense would have been in trouble these past two year because the 4 in the 4-3 would be down to 1 and a half. not too complicated to figure that out.

I would love to have him back. He hasn't done a good job with this defense-just pointing out that this notion that you guys deserve a superbowl because went 9-7 and had returning over 30 year olds who got injured/washed up and another suspended and had a Retired QB (kind of important position) with no first round draft pick is absolutely nuts. Bills fans, and probably their players also, think that because they went 9-7 and could have made playoffs but lost to 3-13 team instead they actually won something. All I'm pointing out is that if you had Schwartz, his 4-3 defense would have been in trouble these past two year because the 4 in the 4-3 would be down to 1 and a half. not too complicated to figure that out.

I agree. Schwartz got that D at the perfect time. Mario was Mario , A Williams was healthy and they still gave up 26 points to the Raiders