Russ Brandon Attends Monday Morning Football Meetings

Fadingpain

Football meetings discussing the ins and outs of a weekly football game?

He has no business being in the room. He's a marketer.

See post #6 for the answer.

No, you are incorrect. He WAS a marketing guy. He is now the President of operations. Why would he not be in this meeting? The fact that he seems to not know a thing about Football is irrelevant. He is the president of Operations and would be in these meetings as it is a part of OPERATING the company. Good god..... way to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

one could argue he *should* just be a marketer but the reality is he has a huge job with the Bills whether he deserves it or not. I would expect him with the title he has to be in that meeting learning what happened in the game. Otherwise he's guessing and watching film by himself. It just makes sense he is there with the owners.

This point exactly. Can always count on YoloinOhio to be the voice of reason and give an intelligent response.

No, you're missing the significance of this and it's part of a larger story that has been discussed in a variety of topics around here the last few days.

I am tuning into the need for Brandon to go more than ever.

If this team keeps everything as is but replaces the coach, expect more of the same in another couple of years.

Actually, I think your missing the point. It's his job to be there. You may not like him, he may not be doing a good job, but its still his job and he belongs there.

Edited by BigPappy

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding? Pegula, and no one else will be the guy who decides its time to fire Rex and hire Coach X.

Those are football decisions.

Why is "part of his job" and why do you think this common or normal?

In my experience it is not.

That's not what he's talking about.

He thinks its odd that I don't like Brandon being in the meetings.

Yolo is getting caught up in his business title and figures that means Russ belongs in the meetings.

He doesn't, and the fact that he is is the odd part.

And what experience do you have as a President of Operations as RB does, that your experience tells you that it's not his job to attend meetings regarding the operation of the team. Last time I checked if the owners are meeting with the GM and coach to discuss how the team is doing and what went wrong or went right, those are operational discussions. Not to mention who give's you or me or anyone on this board the right to say he does not belong in the meeting. Those meetings are done by invite so someone obviously wants him to attend. He as of today is still the President of Operations. GET OVER IT and MOVE ON! You seem to have very little life experience that you don't know how the world of business works.

I think the argument that Russ Brandon should not be in on these meetings is not the right argument. Any managing partner of an NFL franchise should be allowed to be in on conference calls that directly deal with the success/failures of that franchise. The success/failure of a franchise is measured by the teams performance on Sundays.

Along the same lines would anyone question why Pegula is in on that meeting? I mean why break down gameday film to Pegula? Is he going to suggest that Rex shouldve called more double A gap blitzes? What is Pegula going to bring to that conversation. Just sign the checks right? Thats not how the business world works. Every healthy, well-run business keeps its directors/managers informed, especially if they want to be.

Im glad that that the owner is involved in these weekly meetings and Brandon is allowed to attend as well. But To me the question isnt should Brandon be allowed to attend these meetings. The question should strictly be: should Brandon be employed by the Buffalo Bills at all.

Fadingpain,

Please read the above. This is how you make the argument against Russ Brandon.

Edited by BigPappy

The point is simple: does nearly 20 years in a business, three of which were spent tagging along with a respected GM at his behest, tend to educate a person about that business or not?

And no, I'm not Russ Brandon.

He may of tagged around John Butler for 3 years but looking at the decisions that have been made over the last 17 years when he has had a significant role with the organization for many of those years tells me Rusty has no clue about the game of football & how to build a winning organization.

Russ has been here a long time. He was essentially acting as our owner (or in his best interests) for like 10 year prior to Ralph's passing. He then helped facilitate the sale to the Pegulas, and in turn demonstrated to them that he's a valuable component of the organization. IE - it was the coaches, the players, the GMs who were bad... not me.

When are people going to get a grip and just realize this guy's a media leak, a know-it-all, and a snake?

He is the team president. Why is it interesting that he's in those meetings? Seems like SOP.

http://www.patriots.com/team/staff/roster/jonathan-kraft

read Jon Kraft's bio. it talks about the upgrades to their venue, negotiated naming rights, the turning around of their image and a top down change to their culture. Not Jon is attending weekly meetings with Bill.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/staff/Joe-Ellis/0cc7962a-d3b5-447e-8641-34b02afe3bf2

read Ellis' bio. It talks about n-field success, local popularity, national prominence, attendance, philanthropic involvement and local television ratings and game-day experience.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

I find it funny people really didn't think Russ attends these things. Of course he does he is in Pegulas inner circle.

He is the president of both teams the Pegulas own

You are throwing out the term "PRESIDENT" like it means he should be involved in every last aspect of the organization.

Don't get caught up titles.

Prior to Russ going to the Sabres, Ted Black was the Sabres President.

In that position, he was overseeing things like repainting the building in blue/gold, adding TVs in the bathrooms, placing a shelf over the urinals so you could rest a beer there while throwing a whizz, working out TV contract disputes with MSG, and that sort of thing. You know, business stuff.

He was not in hockey meetings discussing a breakdown of last night's loss to Montreal with Darcy, Lindy, and the owner.

Russ is doing that type of thing with the Bills and that's because he's not a normal President.

Rex's comment yesterday was simply one more piece of evidence demonstrating this.

That was my entire point in generating the post and I thought it was an interesting segment in the radio show yesterday.

That's about it.

I find the backlash and attacks of me (who has nothing to do with this franchise's failures) kind of funny and a bit strange.

On that note, I have said my piece.

Ciao!

I see people are still confused about the differences between weekly staff meetings and "football meetings" where coaches and other staff break down the previous game tapes. Carry on.

Im not so sure they are the ones who are confused. From rex's mouth on wgr 12/12/16:

"after games always talked to Terry. And then on Monday. I generally get a chance to talk to both Terry and Kim. And that's with with Doug Whaley and in Russ Brandon as well so. All of us serve you know we talk about that and then on Fridays will actually. All of us will will talk about what we what to gain plants are specifically will actually do that with the coordinators. So we we try to you know make sure that everybody's in in in the loop in here in the same thing"

Now forgive me, that is a direct copy paste from wgr's transcript. Not my typos. If I can find it without the typos I will. That said, rex clearly states russ is in the game plan meetings. I havent heard anything about a "staff meeting"

http://media.wgr550.com/device/mobile/a/117745587/12-12-rex-ryan-with-schopp-and-the-bulldog.htm

You are throwing out the term "PRESIDENT" like it means he should be involved in every last aspect of the organization.

Don't get caught up titles.

Prior to Russ going to the Sabres, Ted Black was the Sabres President.

In that position, he was overseeing things like repainting the building in blue/gold, adding TVs in the bathrooms, placing a shelf over the urinals so you could rest a beer there while throwing a whizz, working out TV contract disputes with MSG, and that sort of thing. You know, business stuff.

He was not in hockey meetings discussing a breakdown of last night's loss to Montreal with Darcy, Lindy, and the owner.

Russ is doing that type of thing with the Bills and that's because he's not a normal President.

Rex's comment yesterday was simply one more piece of evidence demonstrating this.

That was my entire point in generating the post and I thought it was an interesting segment in the radio show yesterday.

That's about it.

I find the backlash and attacks of me (who has nothing to do with this franchise's failures) kind of funny and a bit strange.

On that note, I have said my piece.

Ciao!

Again he is going anywhere Terry and Kim are. He is in their inner circle, they trust him.

He might be more hands off on the Hockey side because Terry is a hockey guy, but as a football guy he is a fan with money and Russ gained his trust (right or wrong) so again I just find it funny people didn't think this was happening.

Im not so sure they are the ones who are confused. From rex's mouth on wgr 12/12/16:

"after games always talked to Terry. And then on Monday. I generally get a chance to talk to both Terry and Kim. And that's with with Doug Whaley and in Russ Brandon as well so. All of us serve you know we talk about that and then on Fridays will actually. All of us will will talk about what we what to gain plants are specifically will actually do that with the coordinators. So we we try to you know make sure that everybody's in in in the loop in here in the same thing"

Now forgive me, that is a direct copy paste from wgr's transcript. Not my typos. If I can find it without the typos I will. That said, rex clearly states russ is in the game plan meetings. I havent heard anything about a "staff meeting"

http://media.wgr550.com/device/mobile/a/117745587/12-12-rex-ryan-with-schopp-and-the-bulldog.htm

That quote, regardless of typos, is a typical Rex Ryan mumbling mashup stream of consciousness BS in answer to a question.

There is a weekly staff meeting among the front office.

There is typically a Monday meeting of coaches breaking down the previous game and then reviews among the different position groups.

Game plans are usually refined on Tuesdays and implemented on Wednesdays. I'll ask around to see if Brandon is involved in those meetings. There are only so many hours in a day and week and I find it difficult to believe he regularly attends those meetings which often take place after normal hours, anyway.

Again he is going anywhere Terry and Kim are. He is in their inner circle, they trust him.

He might be more hands off on the Hockey side because Terry is a hockey guy, but as a football guy he is a fan with money and Russ gained his trust (right or wrong) so again I just find it funny people didn't think this was happening.

Thats the problem. It needs to be conveyed to the pegulas that they cant trust russ the way they do. His tenure needs to end.

I pretty sure most people knew it was happening. Theyve only been calling for russ' head for 10 years now.

WAIT - now Brandon is helping the Pegulas gain plants? The outrage!!

That quote, regardless of typos, is a typical Rex Ryan mumbling mashup stream of consciousness BS in answer to a question.

There is a weekly staff meeting among the front office.

There is typically a Monday meeting of coaches breaking down the previous game and then reviews among the different position groups.

Game plans are usually refined on Tuesdays and implemented on Wednesdays. I'll ask around to see if Brandon is involved in those meetings. There are only so many hours in a day and week and I find it difficult to believe he regularly attends those meetings which often take place after normal hours, anyway.

Fair enough but when listening to the interview rex states that that monday meeting that includes russ, is to go over the game. Its not a staff meeting to make sure there is enough tp in the building Edited by Dazroc

Thats the problem. It needs to be conveyed to the pegulas that they cant trust russ the way they do. His tenure needs to end.

I pretty sure most people knew it was happening. Theyve only been calling for russ' head for 10 years now.

Russ has helped them greatly with the ownership transition until Terry and Kim see it for themselves he is not going anywhere.

They gave him a promotion and their other franchise recently so he is not going anywhere anytime soon

Russ has helped them greatly with the ownership transition until Terry and Kim see it for themselves he is not going anywhere.

They gave him a promotion and their other franchise recently so he is not going anywhere anytime soon

Pretty sure he can get the axe just like anyone else

Fans pretending to know more about a person's (character/ability/value/whatever) than someone who works with the guy every day. Love it.

What makes you think you know Russ Brandon better than Terry Pegula?

Fans world. Party time. Excellent.

You guys need to get over the fact that Russ Brandon is part (an important integral part) of the Buffalo Bills organization. He isn't going anywhere unless Terry catches him trying to bang Kim. Or unless Terry (for some reason) starts to think Russ isn't doing a good job.

The fact that Russ is in Terry's inner circle should tell you exactly what Terry thinks of Russ. Russ is probably about as close a friend to Terry as a guy can get (no homo). You don't fire your buddy that is helping you build your empire unless that buddy screws you somehow. It ain't happening.

Pretty sure he can get the axe just like anyone else

Yep but not gonna anytime soon

Occupation

Managing Partner/President Buffalo Bills

President/Alternate Governor Buffalo Sabres and Rochester Americans

Russ Brandon (born 1967 or 1968)[1] is the President of the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League, the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League, the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League and Pegula Sports and Entertainment.[2]

There is everything he has his hands in. Not going anywhere anytime soon

Edited by MAJBobby