It's the Defense!!!

gjv001

The whole team stinks.

But I put his more on Tyrod Taylor and his "protecting the ball," style of play, as well as the putrid coaching.

What folks need to understand is a qb tossing for 500 yards was never what the Rex brand of football was supposed to be.

It's supposed to be game manager QB who can make some plays along side a stout run game and put up 20-30 points with a stout defense that keeps opponent scoring under 20.

TT isn't a shootout qb.

The offense isn't built for it the scheme isn't built for it.

Every single Rex supporter needs to understand this. And that this brand of football only works with elite linebacking and secondary talent consistently on the field.

That's why this team is completely outclassed by the good teams

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stay the course with hate the QB crusade...it really is getting old!

The Bills coaches screwed this game in the second half on both offense and defense.

AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE!! I havent commented in years, but i always follow and read. I agree with you 100%. Did they really think the Raiders wouldnt make adjustments to what they were doing? They needed to have a different game plan. They also(bills coaching staff) dont know how to make adjustments during the game. Bottom line.... THE COACHING STAFF IS HORRIBLE!! Edited by qdawg in philly

The offense did NOTHING right in the 4th quarter.

Had they put together a 7-8 minute drive we likely would have won. But they didn't. They couldn't get a first down even. The QB FAILED at his duty in the clutch.

The raiders passing and running game was scoring at will in the second half. Their was never a chance they couldn't outscore the bills o.

What folks need to understand is a qb tossing for 500 yards was never what the Rex brand of football was supposed to be.

It's supposed to be game manager QB who can make some plays along side a stout run game and put up 20-30 points with a stout defense that keeps opponent scoring under 20.

TT isn't a shootout qb.

The offense isn't built for it the scheme isn't built for it.

Every single Rex supporter needs to understand this. And that this brand of football only works with elite linebacking and secondary talent consistently on the field.

That's why this team is completely outclassed by the good teams

The QB still needs to be efficient enough to sustain offense by hitting open receivers with accuracy and timing to allow them to continue drives. Tyrod Taylor simply does not do this well enough to win on a consistent basis.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Nope. Can't blame the defense for getting gassed and run over when TT went 3 and out and then an INT on the next in the second half. Yes, the D needs to make stops, but what is the limit or breaking point when they keep trotting back out on the field after successive 3 and outs to get run over?

If over the course of every five drives, we marched down the field and scored TD's twice and then had three 3 and outs, we'd win the Super Bowl.

I fully agree that the QB is not good enough. We need to move on. That said, the defense got shredded in the second half. I think they only stopped Oakland from scoring once. That's not good enough for what is supposed to be a great defense.

Why do we think this is supposed to be a great defense? It's an above average line, average LBs, below average secondary.

We can be pissed at Rex all we want, but they are relying on an overrated 'star' CB, a bunch of first and second year guys at the other CB and basically scrap heap guys at S.

The offense did NOTHING right in the 4th quarter.

Had they put together a 7-8 minute drive we likely would have won. But they didn't. They couldn't get a first down even. The QB FAILED at his duty in the clutch.

The play calling failed IMO and you shouldn't need 7-8 minute drives... what they needed were a few first downs to give the D a rest and really back up the Raiders. Playcalling on O was horrendous at best in the 4thquarter. The D needed help and got none...

You can't soley pin this loss on offense, defense or special teams because there is blame to go around.

1. Offense: you can't have 3 consecutive 3 and outs and 2 turnovers (one of which was on our own 12). I don't care how good your D is, they are going to give up points

2. Defense: can't give up 3 consecutive TD's, I don't care how gassed they are and what the opponent field position is. They need to step up and make stops in the red zone. Instead of 3 TD's they needed to make a stop on 2 of those and force a FG try. Instead of 21 points, they could of given up 13 or less and that would of made a big difference.

3. Special teams: I have zero faith in Schmidt. Yeah, he's had some good games and booming punts, but he's also had a number of awful punts in the 20-30 yard range that just kill us on field position. We need to find a more consistent punter.

If I had to choose the weakest link, I'd have to say defense is our biggest problem. They can't get off the field on 3rd down (including long distance) and have been dreadful in red zone of late. There are also far more injuries to our offense which is not an excuse, but when Justin Hunter is your #2 receiver followed by Goodwin and Tate, you're going to have some issues. Again, blame to go around but overall I am most disappointed in the defense.

I think that Tyrod Taylor is not the type of QB that will bring a team back with his arm. However, he can manage a game, is careful with the ball, and can score points. He would be a good QB for a team with a strong defense. I could see a strong case made, that the perfect team for Tyrod Taylor to thrive and be highly successful, year in year out, is Denver. From my perspective,our Defense, or lack there of, is the Bill's number one problem. I don't know if it's the lack of quality defensive players or the scheme that they play. However it's obvious they cannot stop the run or the pass.

I agree. The defense has been below average at best. The DBs can't cover, and why they run a 3-man rush every play and get ZERO pressure on QBs is beyond me. The QB stands in the pocket for 4-5 seconds and, even with the extra DBs, the WRs are usually wide open and they pick us apart.

Why do we think this is supposed to be a great defense? It's an above average line, average LBs, below average secondary.

We can be pissed at Rex all we want, but they are relying on an overrated 'star' CB, a bunch of first and second year guys at the other CB and basically scrap heap guys at S.

Gilmore has actually played quite well these last few games. He played well yesterday except for the interference call. The Raiders clearly avoided him.

Gilmore has actually played quite well these last few games. He played well yesterday except for the interference call. The Raiders clearly avoided him.

And I think that was a BS interference call too actually there was contact initiated by both the WR and Gilmore

Exactly. Bills fans need to let Schwartz go. Mario was aging, Williams is great but older, Dareus hasn't been on the field. Bradham, Searcy, Aaron Williams, and McKelvin gone. Bills needed to restock the D regardless and Shaq and Ragland haven't been on the field.

The defense is what it is. Mediocre. Can play well at times against bad QB's.

If the defense is to be top 5 again we need stars in the secondary.

Refs stress locating the ball and he didn't do so until late. The NFL will make pot legal before they make coverage legal again :D

True that play is a perfect example how the NFL Rules have been skewed to support a passing offense

The QB still needs to be efficient enough to sustain offense by hitting open receivers with accuracy and timing to allow them to continue drives. Tyrod Taylor simply does not do this well enough to win on a consistent basis.

If you remember back to Rex's introductory presser when he talked about the defense it was how great they were going to be and how disappointing it must have been to only be ranked 4th the previous year. When he talked about the offense it was ground and pound......short pause......and oh yeah we have Sammy Watkins...so we'll throw to Sammy Watkins.

That right there explained everything. Sammy Watkins the afterthought.....because Rex's genius scheme allows an offense to take the most talented player on the team at the time and make him an afterthought. That was his desire from the beginning. We have since that time acquired McCoy, which helped us have a much better running attack. And Sammy Watkins remains an afterthought. In an era of salary cap where you are limited in the overall talent you can acquire you really should make use of ultra-talented guys on rookie contracts regardless of their position.

There are many discussions about "What if we drafted X instead of Sammy" with the latest X being Mack. That's all well and good. I think another fair question is what would any other team that drafted Sammy Watkins have done with him on the field.

Blaming the offense designed to not be able to come from behind on a team whose defense allows other teams to score at will despite using all of their draft picks on defense is an absolute joke. The offense and Taylor stunk yesterday after the mid-3Q staking of the draft pick laden genius led defense to a 15 point lead. Great idea: blame the offense.

Carr, Winston, and Mariota. Get the right QB and things can turn around in a heartbeat.

@FourVerts

raiders, bucs, and titans are in the playoff hunt after having 3 of the top 4 picks in the 2015 draft. really quick turnarounds.

YOU HAVE TO TANK TO GET A GREAT QB.

Period.

You can't be 6-10 to 9-7 and expect to get "the guy."

Winston and Mariota were 1 and 2.

And some can't stop with this brainless inference. Acknowledging two very very obvious things--that the defense has lousy talent in the secondary and the offense leaves the defense out to dry by stringing together short drives--does not praise of the HC make.

Dude, you simply cannot stop defending one of the worst head coaches this team has had in years. His defensive scheme stinks and no great QB is going to change the fact that with the #2 defense in sacks and the #2 player in getting sacks the defense could not get any pass rush on the Raiders QB to even slow him down in the second half!

I'd call it a definite Bromance between you and Rex Ryan! Or stop defending him as this was an entire team loss, offense, defense and special teams let down in the second half. That...says...coaching!

Obvious the QB is the major issue with this team. Sorry you can't see that, but keep CoT going and and keep looking the fool.

The QB is a major issue no question. The team's coaches know the man's limitations in throwing the ball and yet have no qualms about forcing him to do that when the run game falters. I put the offensive failure to move the chains against the 30th ranked raiders defense squarely on the coaching staff as that Bills offense put up 24 points in the first three-quarters!

LeSean McCoy 7.6 yards per rush, Mike Gillilsee 6.1 yards per rush.The Buffalo run game averaging 7.1 yards per carry against the Raiders

1st QTR Bills, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, Mccoy run, FG 3-0

2nd QTR Bills, Run, pass, Run, pass, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run TD 10-9 at the half. 9 runs vs 2 passes to score a TD!

2nd QTR Bills, Pass, run, run, sack, run, pass, PUNT.

2nd QTR Bills, Run, pass, penalty, run, run, run, pass, PUNT.

3rd QTR Bills, Run, Run, TD!

3rd QTR Bills, Pass, pass, pass, run, run, pass, run, pass, pass, run, run, TD! nice combination of both passing and running to score.

Now suddenly 3 basic 3 and outs for the Bills.

3rd QTR Bills, run, run, pass PUNT - ineffective series because on 3rd and 4 the Bills can't make a first down by throwing.

3rd QTR Bills, pass, run, penalty, pass, PUNT.

4th QTR Bills, Run, pass, pass, PUNT.

4th QTR Bills, Taylor throwing from the Bills own end zone has his arm hit as he throws, INT! Why not run the ball to give the QB some room to throw?

4th QTR Bills, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, SACK, pass, pass, run, run, pass, pass, Penalty, pass, SACK-FUMBLE!

4th QTR Bills, pass, pass, pass, end of game.

I have issues with the team attempting to force a QB who is a running QB to suddenly become a pocket QB to win the game. In my view coaches fault.

So you are happy with the way the QB has played?

I am not excusing the Defense they played bad and the Defensive Guru is a bad coach. but at the same time I am not going to throw them under the bus to defend poor QB play. See how that works.

No, I'm not giving Taylor a pass here because he stunk. But then we all know he stinks when attempting to win a game with his arm! What's more is his coaches also know this and yet force him to try to win it with his arm.

Why no draw play, no end around, no wildcat on third down. Let EJ throw the GD thing if he comes in at QB. The Bills offense went into a shell and they paid for it. The defense went into a shell and they paid for it.

It was an entire team failure halfway through the 3rd quarter, the players, the coaches, the game plan all stunk it up!