Russ Brandon and others...

pepsicat17

What strange threads get started after a loss.

I would agree with you, if you just accept it as a regular old loss...but it's not.

We essentially eliminated ourselves from the playoffs. We did it in classic fashion, blowing a lead and looking like a pee wee football team going away. It's now 17 years and counting. This is exactly the right time to sit back and go, "who is responsible for this mess again?".

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with you, if you just accept it as a regular old loss...but it's not.

We essentially eliminated ourselves from the playoffs. We did it in classic fashion, blowing a lead and looking like a pee wee football team going away. It's now 17 years and counting. This is exactly the right time to sit back and go, "who is responsible for this mess again?".

You do realize fans looking into whose responsible means absolutely nothing in terms of effecting what the team does? What do you think will happen if you determine who you think is "responsible"? We're not eliminated from the playoffs and I have no idea what "essentially eliminated" means.

You do realize fans looking into whose responsible means absolutely nothing in terms of effecting what the team does? What do you think will happen if you determine who you think is "responsible"? We're not eliminated from the playoffs and I have no idea what "essentially eliminated" means.

Of course no fan is going to effect what the team does. What a ridiculous thing to say. You're welcome to log off and never post again if you think you're so righteous that you get to dictate what can and can't be discussed.

And I'm sorry that you don't know what" essentially" means. They're mathematically alive to start December again. If it makes you feel better the annual Brandon thread can resume in a week.

I will tell you man, I see where your coming from but I will say this. I spent one of the games in the RV lot at one of my good friends RVs. He does more work for the Sabres then the Bills but he is very close to the inner workings of both organizations & is very close to the Pegulas. He got a few drinks in him & started talking about how RB has more than a few finger prints on the failures of the Bills organization more than anybody cares to admit. Said when Pegula took over he said the decision was made to fire RB, but somehow RB smooth talked his way into keeping his job. Said he sold out so many people, good people that were loyal to him for years to convince Pegs to keep his job. Went onto say RB was pretty much responsible for convincing Pegs to get rid of Ted Black. Said the guy can't be trusted & everybody in the organization knows it. Also said not so much now under Pegs, but under Wilson RB had major pull in football related decision.

They say to kill a snake you got to cut the head off. I think it is time Pegs wakes up & starts cleaning house & the first order of business should be to relieve RB of his duties. [/quote

And the Sabres continue to be a mess too. Hmmmmm we have 2 teams that barely tread water and Brandon works for both.

Of course no fan is going to effect what the team does. What a ridiculous thing to say. You're welcome to log off and never post again if you think you're so righteous that you get to dictate what can and can't be discussed.

And I'm sorry that you don't know what" essentially" means. They're mathematically alive to start December again. If it makes you feel better the annual Brandon thread can resume in a week.

Oh come off it you cry baby. You said it is absolutely the time for fans to determine who's fault this teams failures are. You're wrong and ridiculous in the same post.

You obviously didn't take the time to investigate misusing a word - so you will investigate what's wrong with the Bills? Haha

I don't feel like discussing this. I have been on this train for about a decade now, and these discussions go in eternal circles (just like the Bills)

Just want to point out that Russ Brandon is not a "marketing guy". He is President and Managing Partner of the team. All facets. He has not been the Director of Marketing for over 10 years

Edited by May Day 10

If there is no trust in the current staff then that calls for a change. Instead of adding another layer to the organization that would question/review the decisions of the front office then it would be better to find staffing that you trust in.

I believe that Whaley is a solid GM. I wouldn't rank him as a top tier GM but I do consider him to be competent. My feelings toward Rex are much more negative. However, if Whaley can't adequately address the qb issue in the not too distant future he should be relieved of his duties. Then the owner should find someone else who is better at finding qb talent in the draft or wherever.

This void at the qb position has been going on for more than two decades. Enough is enough!

When the wrong coaches are consistently hired, the wrong players consistently drafted/signed and the results are the same at some point fans need to adjust their ire onto senior management. Who hires the HC? Who is promoting the GM? Who is advising the new(ish) owners on making this team a winner on the field?

If the franchise goes this long without winning it's time for changes beyond cursory stuff like going to a 4-3, finding a better safety or improving the WR group. It's time the Pegula's begin the front office overhaul they have avoided like the plague since purchasing the team 2+ years ago. It's time to for the Pegula's or those they hire to review this team and clear out the remnants of the RW years. Anything less and the result remains the same for more years.

Oh come off it you cry baby. You said it is absolutely the time for fans to determine who's fault this teams failures are. You're wrong and ridiculous in the same post.

You obviously didn't take the time to investigate misusing a word - so you will investigate what's wrong with the Bills? Haha

Lighten up sunshine!

Of course nothing discussed here by anyone is going to dictate action at OBD.

That's not the point of this forum.

And for the record, out of the playoffs or "essentially eliminated" means barring a series of miracles, we aren't making the playoffs for the 17th consecutive year. Surely you understand that.

I see you are one of the cultists who has built a personal belief system around the team and chooses not to objectively view reality.

Good day to you sir!

Lighten up sunshine!

And for the record, out of the playoffs or "essentially eliminated" means barring a series of miracles, we aren't making the playoffs for the 17th consecutive year. Surely you understand that.

I see you are one of the cultists who has built a personal belief system around the team and chooses not to objectively view reality.

Good day to you sir!

Sunshine? I'll thumb wrestle you to death, uncle.

You could understand that's not what essentially means but you refuse to learn.

Brandon has less than zero to do with the Bills futility.. He is a marketing man and has done a masterful job of bringing in extra coin for the franchise

Ralph Wilson was to blame for most.

Lighten up sunshine!

Good day to you sir!

I don't think so. The one thing I do know - is YOU have absolutely no idea what involvement Russ Brandon has on the team, zero. People deal with frustration differently.

Want some reality? The team is mediocre and neither you or I know why. It's frustrating for sure but at least lets talk about what we're privy to seeing on the field vs pretending to know what happens in the FO.

Edited by Triple Threat

Yikes.

Wasn't Russ Brandom the GM of this team at one point? Wasn't he Ralph's right hand man?

"The Pegulas, Brandon, and Whaley all agreed Ryan was the right man for the job."

Seems like hes still involved in all decisions made at OBD.

"Don't Let Him Leave The Building"

When the wrong coaches are consistently hired, the wrong players consistently drafted/signed and the results are the same at some point fans need to adjust their ire onto senior management. Who hires the HC? Who is promoting the GM? Who is advising the new(ish) owners on making this team a winner on the field?

If the franchise goes this long without winning it's time for changes beyond cursory stuff like going to a 4-3, finding a better safety or improving the WR group. It's time the Pegula's begin the front office overhaul they have avoided like the plague since purchasing the team 2+ years ago. It's time to for the Pegula's or those they hire to review this team and clear out the remnants of the RW years. Anything less and the result remains the same for more years.

There is something amiss in this backwater organization. How does a franchise for almost a quarter of a century not find a competent long term qb in a sport that success is predicated on the caliber of qb taking the snaps? It's stupendously stupefying! In order to be a serious contender you have to have a good qb. You don't have to have a great football mind to recognize what is so obvious and basic.

The Bills passed on Carr. The Bills passed on Russell Wilson. The Bills passed on Dak Prescott. The Bills passed on Kirk Cousins. The Bills passed on Paxon Lynch. (Not saying he is going to be good but he is a prospect that should have been considered.) While the Bills have taken a passive role in their quest in finding a qb other teams pass us by by seizing opportunities. Just because there are no guarantees that a selection will turn out well that doesn't mean that the the organization should be immobilized by fright by being aggressive in their pursuit of a qb.

The Broncos won the SB last year. They let Osweiller walk because they wouldn't go beyond what they felt he was worth. John Elway then aggressively traded back into the first round to pick Lynch, a qb that the Cowboys coveted. The point is that the Broncos were aggressive in selecting another qb even though they had another young qb on their roster, Trevor Siemian.

Does anyone seriously believe that next year the situation will be any different if the qb staffing remains the same? Pegula put a lot of cash on the table to buy the Bills. Unless something is dramatically altered within this bedraggled organization this perpetual cycle of futility will continue. He deserves better and the fans deserve better.

I don't think so. The one thing I do know - is YOU have absolutely no idea what involvement Russ Brandon has on the team, zero. People deal with frustration differently.

Want some reality? The team is mediocre and neither you or I know why. It's frustrating for sure but at least lets talk about what we're privy to seeing on the field vs pretending to know what happens in the FO.

You don't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to figure out why this team is mediocre. Unless you have a quality starting qb you have no chance for success in this sport. Of course you have to have other ingredients but if you don't have the qb position solidified nothing else matters.

Yikes.

Wasn't Russ Brandom the GM of this team at one point? Wasn't he Ralph's right hand man?

"The Pegulas, Brandon, and Whaley all agreed Ryan was the right man for the job."

Seems like hes still involved in all decisions made at OBD.

Yes, yes he was. His genius pick was Aaron Maybin.

There is something amiss in this backwater organization. How does a franchise for almost a quarter of a century not find a competent long term qb in a sport that success is predicated on the caliber of qb taking the snaps? It's stupendously stupefying! In order to be a serious contender you have to have a good qb. You don't have to have a great football mind to recognize what is so obvious and basic.

The Bills passed on Carr. The Bills passed on Russell Wilson. The Bills passed on Dak Prescott. The Bills passed on Kirk Cousins. The Bills passed on Paxon Lynch. (Not saying he is going to be good but he is a prospect that should have been considered.) While the Bills have taken a passive role in their quest in finding a qb other teams pass us by by seizing opportunities. Just because there are no guarantees that a selection will turn out well that doesn't mean that the the organization should be immobilized by fright by being aggressive in their pursuit of a qb.

The Broncos won the SB last year. They let Osweiller walk because they wouldn't go beyond what they felt he was worth. John Elway then aggressively traded back into the first round to pick Lynch, a qb that the Cowboys coveted. The point is that the Broncos were aggressive in selecting another qb even though they had another young qb on their roster, Trevor Siemian.

Does anyone seriously believe that next year the situation will be any different if the qb staffing remains the same? Pegula put a lot of cash on the table to buy the Bills. Unless something is dramatically altered within this bedraggled organization this perpetual cycle of futility will continue. He deserves better and the fans deserve better.

You don't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to figure out why this team is mediocre. Unless you have a quality starting qb you have no chance for success in this sport. Of course you have to have other ingredients but if you don't have the qb position solidified nothing else matters.

I agree 100%

I live near Utica about 45 mins east of Syracuse and am in the Cuse a lot. There is no Bills marketing. You're talking about the city (Cuse and Utica sometimes) that willingly puts on Giants games over the Bills when they have the choice. Good luck finding my Bills merchandise in the Utica area. The major stores have told me this is considered Giants and Jets territory, not BIlls so they don't stock much Bills stuff. We're talking a major city and an entire area that is completely neglected by the Bills that are 2 hours and less then 3 hours away. One with a collage basketball team that gets 30k to their games and an expensive college at that. He has done a horrible job outside the mainstay Bills area. Anyone with half a brain could sell out that stadium because we are gluttons for punishment because we love our team and will go no matter what. That is who we are so he's selling stuff to people climbing over each other theo g those money at him. Great job

I've seen the same thing. The first weekend of football season I was in the Syracuse area. I didn't even see any Bills beer cans at any store. The Bills games sell out themselves. Rusty stepped in at a perfect time when the NFL was becoming bigger than ever before. People just want to see NFL football, and more people in Rochester and of course Buffalo started buying more season tickets. We don't have the same entertainment options on a Sunday as someone in Atlanta or LA might have. There are also tons of fans of other teams. I'm sure Steelers fans will be out in force this Sunday.

Brandon is the Face of the ever-lasting Bills failure, but apparently he still has plenty of Koolaid fanbois. Go figure. Only in BLo.

Exactly, if nothing else keeping him around is bad karma.

I've seen the same thing. The first weekend of football season I was in the Syracuse area. I didn't even see any Bills beer cans at any store. The Bills games sell out themselves. Rusty stepped in at a perfect time when the NFL was becoming bigger than ever before. People just want to see NFL football, and more people in Rochester and of course Buffalo started buying more season tickets. We don't have the same entertainment options on a Sunday as someone in Atlanta or LA might have. There are also tons of fans of other teams. I'm sure Steelers fans will be out in force this Sunday.

Exactly, if nothing else keeping him around is bad karma.

I was at a rest area on the 90 a few weeks ago. Eastbound between Rochester and Syracuse... They had lighters on the counter next to key chains. The choice was either Jets or Giants...

Ah, the tri-monthly Russ Brandon thread.

Lemme guess; has been here throughout the drought, meddles in "football decisions", anyone could sell tickets, and he has to be shown the door if only he would release his Svengali grip on those Pegula rubes, right?

This has been explained ad infinitum for years now and it's tiresome to have to keep repeating the facts, especially those surrounding the growth of unshared revenue since his hire and how he made that all possible. And under the threat of NYS withholding $70m for renovations unless he came through to boot. But why let facts ruin a good, mob mentality desire to run him out of town.

Carry on, clod warriors!