Taylor at 25 starts: how does he compare to the rest of NFL?

YoloinOhio

Look I think EJ is done. The Alex Smith thing is worth mentioning because he did totally turn around a disastrous start to his career (every bit as bad as EJ's) and end up as a solid franchise Quarterback. But he is very much the exception. There is maybe one every 10 years - Rich Gannon, Steve Young... etc

The Bills unlike the 49ers teams that Smith was playing on were not missing much except better QB play and so to take advantage of the rest of their roster there had to come a point when they decided enough was enough and pulled EJ. I think they judged that point about right after Houston.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was EJ only given 14 starts, then?

This is a serious question.

I get killed on this site because of how critical I am of Tyrod Taylor, yet he's had nearly twice the starts that EJ had and the Bills haven't gotten any better - even though the defense and running game have been better for Taylor's starts and the schedule has been much easier.

I assume that is because Taylor has won more games than EJ.

What I meant was the average quality of QB play in the league is mediocre to bad.

I really do think EJ, with the right coach and OC, will play well elsewhere. I know most people here think that's insane. Most people here thought hiring Rex would give us the #1 defense in the league, no problem. We'll see what happens.

I tend to agree with this simply because of how godawful our O-line was with EJ for most of his starts.

Its strange how people expected EJ to step in against Jacksonville and be red hot from the first snap. He actually settled down and played well for the majority of that game, which we ended up losing because of a ridiculous P.I. call.

If Lynn keeps calling designed runs for TT and option plays, we're gonna see EJ sooner than later because Tyrod is gonna get a shoulder or collarbone im tellin ya.... he's too small to take this many hits.

I tend to agree with this simply because of how godawful our O-line was with EJ for most of his starts.

Its strange how people expected EJ to step in against Jacksonville and be red hot from the first snap. He actually settled down and played well for the majority of that game, which we ended up losing because of a ridiculous P.I. call.

If Lynn keeps calling designed runs for TT and option plays, we're gonna see EJ sooner than later because Tyrod is gonna get a shoulder or collarbone im tellin ya.... he's too small to take this many hits.

Dog **** > EJ

He's the exact same size as Melvin Gordon. Someone better tell SD to stop letting him run too.

FWIW from Football Reference, TT is listed at 6' 221lb

Elliot 6' 225

L Miller 5'11" 215

L Mccoy 5'10" 215

Forte 6'1" 221

D Murray 6' 214

D Johnson 6'1" 224

Just to name a few RB taking way more hits than TT. Tyrod should be fine taking hits, he's not too small to take hits, he is however kinda short to be QB. Brees being the exception right now.

No the common denominator is Sammy Watkins on the field.....and if people cannot see that then they are just pushing their own agendas with little regard for facts

Agreed. TThas played better than EJ and for the benefit of EJ's career, maybe gets a better chance somewhere else. We need more than just Sammy. I want the best WR in the first round, hopefully someone with height and good route running.

The big question is can Whaley keep a lot of these gems picked up these years like Zack Brown, Lorenzo Alexander, and so on.

And EJs gonna still suck now like he did then.

Good article. I'm not convinced Tyrod will ever be a good passer, and I'm still a skeptic about his long-term viability, but it makes a good argument that he is a better QB than the eyeball test suggests.

Eyes don't lie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Because he showed that he isnt an NFL quality QB to deserve more than 14 starts. I missed the memo that if you show that you suck you are entitled to 25 starts.

That's okay. Tyrod got it and I'm sure he can share it with you.

Regarding EJ, I think he is like most young QBs, very much dependent on coaching staff(s) his first couple years, whether he'd develop or not. Of course, the Bills, in all their wisdom gave him a rookie HC, and OC, and no QB coach until his second year (and that QB coach kinda sucks). Is EJ going to turn it around sometime? Unlikely, at his age. He certainly has the physical talent, but his development was royally screwed by the Bills organization. I have to wonder how he would have turned out somewhere else.

As far as Tyrod? It seems like this is who he is, and that works fine if we have a great defense and run game, but unfortunately we only have one of the two. So we either need to replace Tyrod, or fix our defense.