Healthy John Miller

Dragonborn10

Now that Miller has been healthy all year it seems fair to assess his play.

I would grade him B-. I have not seen the great push that Richie has gotten. Pass protection has been ok - probably better than average but not stellar. Quick search says he has had only 1 penalty assessed for 10 yards.

What does the board think?

He's got over the ankle issue so he's got his power base back. That's integral to his game, especially in pass pro. He's not a glorious technician that's going to win reps with ease, having his anchor fully engaged is how he's going to win.

Athletically, he looks a little looser getting to the 2nd level. Really smart guy from the conceptual standpoint. He's an average guard and he really doesn't need to be much more. No need to worry about RG for a couple of years.

He's been solid IMO. I though that he got off to a great start but hasn't been quite as good recently. With that being said there have been holes to run through and the only time I seem to complain about the pass rush comes from Mills. He feels like a pretty good NFL starter IMO that also happens to be on a rookie contract.

He's been solid IMO. I though that he got off to a great start but hasn't been quite as good recently. With that being said there have been holes to run through and the only time I seem to complain about the pass rush comes from Mills. He feels like a pretty good NFL starter IMO that also happens to be on a rookie contract.

That is pretty much it. Right in the middle of the league guard wise through 11 weeks and being paid like a 2nd year 3rd rounder. Win for the scouting staff.

That is pretty much it. Right in the middle of the league guard wise through 11 weeks and being paid like a 2nd year 3rd rounder. Win for the scouting staff.

+1

The OL has not been a problem this season. The DB's have defined our season so far.

+1

The OL has not been a problem this season. The DB's have defined our season so far.

coaching has defined us. Whether it was Greg roman being fired or Anthony Lynn taking over or the loss of Donnie Henderson or the whole Ryan family situation

Miller is everything we could of hoped for in a third round pick. Started from day one. Miller has progressed in his second year, this is not always the case. The fact that the Bills can use the draft or FA to settle the RT position and have 5 good to great Olinemen says Whaley is doing something right.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Agree Miller is doing a fine job - he will only get stronger each year and learn his craft more each year,

Off Line help comes thru the draft - teams do not give up good OL via free agents (even a Ritchie was only available due to outside circumstances).

Quality on our line is thru the draft - Woods, Glenn & Miller 1st,2nd,3rd and our weak spot is RT where we have a free agent.

I'm all for using our 1st on a RT to complete this Off Line and use the Cowboys formula of winning in this league - top Off line with top RB and mobile QB who does not eat up 30 million in cap. Locking in a top RT for 5 years will give us a strong right pairing with Miller for years.

Unlike this "alice in wonderland" wishing for some unknown star qb to replace tyrod - even those who like the idea cant say where this star comes from - this option is real and there is a high expectation you can get a quality RT in the area we would be drafting near the 20s.And it aids both the running game and the passing game - we saw our seahawk upset go up in flames when Tyrod gets mauled for 8 yrd sack because no protection at RT

We have never had a successful era in our history without a top Off line unit - all of our failures in Donohoe era can be tied to his refusal to draft Off lineman with top 3 rounds (except of course big Mike Williams - talk about bad luck;; ;)). He tried solving the cornerstone of off line via free agents and it was a disaster

OJ era was a result of Saban rebuilding the off line drafting Seymour, Joe D & Reggie in top 2 rounds, Chuck Knox right away shored up Off line acquiring Dobler and drafting Richter with a 1st,... Polian drafting Wilford with a 1st, Kent Hall from USFL and a nice move to get House Ballard,

Edited by jahbonas

Generally, Miller is solid and not a concern. He should be a steady and improving OL performer for many years to come. If we can get Henderson back to full health (and off the Commissioners bad-boy list), together they have the potential to anchor that side of the line for a long time.

i think when you look at the Value for position you might consider signing a FA for RT and saving your first and second round picks for other more expensive positions.

Look at the Ryan Schraeder RT deal in Atlanta. 5 years for $33 million with $12 million guaranteed . Schraeder has been a very good RT. Personally I would like to see RT as the number one FA pick up, provided we have some options. This will go a long ways to helping Miller feel even more comfortable in his assignments. I look to the Falcons for another example. Alex Mack was the Falcons big FA signing at center. There is a direct correlation between the season Matt Ryan is having at QB and the fact he has an excellent center. Mack has helped solidify the middle of the line.

Save rounds 1 and 2 in the draft for defensive backfield help and WR help. Two positions that are far more costly than RT in FA. We have discussed the type of deal R Woods is going to get to be a number 2 WR and the type of money a CB like Gilmore will get. Safety is also a huge need. All three of those positions are more expensive than RT in FA I believe.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

So i guess he is not a bust like alot of people were saying last year. Maybe its true you have to give players time to develop sometimes

Yes - and along with time add in a high ankle sprain, the normal rookie adjusting to 16 game season and an NFL weight program and a family loss

i think when you look at the Value for position you might consider signing a FA for RT and saving your first and second round picks for other more expensive positions.

Look at the Ryan Schraeder RT deal in Atlanta. 5 years for $33 million with $12 million guaranteed . Schraeder has been a very good RT. Personally I would like to see RT as the number one FA pick up, provided we have some options. This will go a long ways to helping Miller feel even more comfortable in his assignments. I look to the Falcons for another example. Alex Mack was the Falcons big FA signing at center. There is a direct correlation between the season Matt Ryan is having at QB and the fact he has an excellent center. Mack has helped solidify the middle of the line.

Save rounds 1 and 2 in the draft for defensive backfield help and WR help. Two positions that are far more costly than RT in FA. We have discussed the type of deal R Woods is going to get to be a number 2 WR and the type of money a CB like Gilmore will get. Safety is also a huge need. All three of those positions are more expensive than RT in FA I believe.

Offensive Tackle is an expensive positionto get covered in the draft - this is not drafting a OG or OC or RB or ILB. In 5 years such a player could end up sliding over to LT down the road.

The cowboys did not half-ass it and have been rewarded immensely - bringing them success they have not seen since the last time they had best offensive line. They have FOUR 1st rd draft choices on that line helping make a rookie 4th rd QB look great and a young RB look like MVP of the league

Yes - and along with time add in a high ankle sprain, the normal rookie adjusting to 16 game season and an NFL weight program and a family loss

Offensive Tackle is an expensive positionto get covered in the draft - this is not drafting a OG or OC or RB or ILB. In 5 years such a player could end up sliding over to LT down the road.

The cowboys did not half-ass it and have been rewarded immensely - bringing them success they have not seen since the last time they had best offensive line. They have FOUR 1st rd draft choices on that line helping make a rookie 4th rd QB look great and a young RB look like MVP of the league

I think the Bills have Kujo they can resign as a back up LT. Due to the drafts pay scale it is much less expensive to draft a starter at any position than get one in FA. Edited by atlbillsfan1975

More times than not - Offensive lineman signed in free agency are fools gold - teams find a way to sign their quality linemen and let their lessers go off to bigger pay days.

We are only one top RT away from becoming near top OL in football next year