Everyone staying home for thanksgiving?

mead107

Good for your mother. Give her a big hug and tell her she'll be fine. No one is going after her and her freedoms.

That's nothing. My mother finally came out of the closet because of Trump. On a phone call last week, she literally said to me, "Trump and Pence want every gay person to be fired from their jobs. I don't deserve that, I work hard." First time she ever actually verbally said it, this after living with her partner for the last 18 years.

Thanksgiving should be interesting at my dad's, a conservative who didn't vote for Trump. My mom will be there (always awkward) and my sister is newly liberal and thinks our entire hometown is racist. Should be fun.

I am brining my first turkey this year. Kind of nervous about the whole process. I bribe my poultry when I grill in the summer, but never a huge turkey on which 10 people will dine. Also, it was a frozen turkey, and I heard some people say you only bribe a fresh one.

can brine it while you are thawing!

Sorry, but curious: what's the advantage of brining? My wife does Thanksgiving and Xmas. (I do all the other nights.) Never really looked into it but curious.

It's a mixture of salt and sugar and whatever aromatics that you want to flavor your bird. I use garlic, rosemary/rhyme/sage, oranges and lemons, and roasted black peppercorns and coriander seeds. The soliton draws the flavors into the meat. Delicious.

I will. I love em all. It's a complicated dynamic.

Life is usually complicated, but love should not be. Good for you, enjoy and embrace all of your family!

It's a mixture of salt and sugar and whatever aromatics that you want to flavor your bird. I use garlic, rosemary/rhyme/sage, oranges and lemons, and roasted black peppercorns and coriander seeds. The soliton draws the flavors into the meat. Delicious.

That sounds like something I need to get involved in. The reason I cook most of the other 363 days is I care about what we eat. (Oh, and she's working her ass off while I kind of coast...) Maybe for Christmas?

I will. I love em all. It's a complicated dynamic.

I don't see how that's worse than my family, which is not on speaking terms with each other and having three different and separate Thanksgiving meals segregated by political ideology (liberals at my sister's, conservatives at my fathers, and "I'm not putting up with any of you idiots" at my place.)

And if you think my family's Thanksgiving is bad, wait until Christmas, when my sister and sister-in-law get the "Make America Great Again" hats I sent them. :w00t:

Good for your mother. Give her a big hug and tell her she'll be fine. No one is going after her and her freedoms.

Seriously. SMH at the hysteria the MSM has whipped up.

I am brining my first turkey this year. Kind of nervous about the whole process. I bribe my poultry when I grill in the summer, but never a huge turkey on which 10 people will dine. Also, it was a frozen turkey, and I heard some people say you only bribe a fresh one.

Edit: brine, not bribe (auto correct)

I never had to bribe my chicks. :ph34r: You should definitely check out brining though. Good stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving from Marshfield where we're visiting with darling daughter dear and her family - including our first grandchild.

Sorry, but curious: what's the advantage of brining? My wife does Thanksgiving and Xmas. (I do all the other nights.) Never really looked into it but curious.

the main reason to brine poultry and pork is moistness, especially in the white meat of chicken/turkey. Weird science behind it, but the salt allows the bird to absorb liquid and "unbind" some proteins, which results in juicier meat.

The sugar helps the skin brown better, and the yes if you add flavours some of that will get absorbed..typical things for a turkey may be bay and fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme.

I don't see how that's worse than my family, which is not on speaking terms with each other and having three different and separate Thanksgiving meals segregated by political ideology (liberals at my sister's, conservatives at my fathers, and "I'm not putting up with any of you idiots" at my place.)

And if you think my family's Thanksgiving is bad, wait until Christmas, when my sister and sister-in-law get the "Make America Great Again" hats I sent them. :w00t:

:lol:

Have you told your father 'you are an idiot' so he could agree saying "Yes, I should have that vasectomy"?

Staying home in Cbus with our new 1 week old Bills/Sabres fan! Family from WNY heading down today for the weekend. Skipping the game Sunday, probably only the 5th or so home game I've missed in about 10 years. 2nd one in a row also due to my sisters wedding on the Pats game weekend.

Always enjoy spending time at Thanksgiving with my Dad. My only regret was that I had to fly out before the Penn St game. Watching Penn St was always one of those Father/Son moments over the years.

Then there was the cousin we didn't go see. But he's not really a Penn State fan. More of a State Penn kind of a guy