10. Blaine Gabbert

11. JJ Watt

12. Christian Ponder

of the players on this list available at #3....i'd take OT Tyron Smith

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could have traded back and taken Aldon Smith.

I'm not a huge fan of all the "perfect hindsight stuff". For those who want to part ways with Dareus, I doubt they are the ones closest to the numbers. I get the frustration though!

1. Cam Newton

2. Von Miller

3. Dareus

4. AJ Green

5. Patrick Peterson

6. Julio Jones

7. Aldon Smith

8. Jake Locker

9. Tyron Smith

10. Blaine Gabbert

11. JJ Watt

12. Christian Ponder

of the players on this list available at #3....i'd take OT Tyron Smith

Why? We found Cordy Glenn in round 2 the very next year, and he's been just fine.

I'd take JJ Watt. He's been the best defensive player in the NFL since 2012.

By the way, there were 2 of us on this board that wanted JJ Watt at 3rd overall back then...myself, and SJBF

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/127671-when-the-bills-were-on-the-clock-who-did-you-want-the-last-few-years/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2136589

Marcells agent, Todd France, used to work for Pegula before he had to sell off his ownership of the sports agency. I wonder if that had any impact on the parameters of the contract.

I do know that Pegs has tried to help out another agent who used to work for him to help the guy make a name for himself. That wouldn't be the case though for an established agent like France.

Hughes only dropped into coverage 12 times last year, compared to 58 times this year. Mario dropped 28 times this year versus 13 times last year. Kyle and Dareus dropped into coverage 9 times and 0 times respectively in 2014.

It doesn't say how many times Dareus dropped back in 2015. Let's assume it's less than 10 times (it's likely less than Mario). Dareus had 756 plays in 2015.

How does that statement not make sense? He does not like Rex or the Ryan scheme.

Rex left the jets and they were a tire fire.

Since Rex has gotten here the Bills have been crap on defense.

Dareus dropped into coverage several times last year. I recall many threads asking why all d-lineman were dropping into coverage.

Dareus should drop into coverage maybe 1 time every 5th game.

So, Dareus wants out of Buffalo and is promoting himself as a guy who, 2 years after getting arrested twice/showed up to camp out of shape/got suspended/vowed to take it much more seriously going forward...then again gets suspended/lies about going in to rehab/blames it on ADHD/shows up after 4 games not ready to play/vows to take everything much more seriously going forward?

Yeah, that makes sense---Dareus is angling to get out of Buffalo. And it's "the scheme" that's the problem (dropping back, literally a handful of times a year!!). I'm sure the rest of the league is paying close to attention to this superstar whjo is signaling his unhappiness in Buffalo (an organization that foolishly payed him a ton, with no out for his inevitable future screw ups--and is paying him to do nothing right now).

Marcells agent, Todd France, used to work for Pegula before he had to sell off his ownership of the sports agency. I wonder if that had any impact on the parameters of the contract.

I do know that Pegs has tried to help out another agent who used to work for him to help the guy make a name for himself. That wouldn't be the case though for an established agent like France.

Helping out by putting terms in the contract that are damaging to yourself? I can see helping out by maybe paying a bit more but only an idiot would knowingly agree to terms that would hamstring them. Pegula is by far not an idiot.

Helping out by putting terms in the contract that are damaging to yourself? I can see helping out by maybe paying a bit more but only an idiot would knowingly agree to terms that would hamstring them. Pegula is by far not an idiot.

no - he helped another agent with another player (not Bills related). You see I said that would not be the case with France, and I just wondered if it had any impact at all on the negotiations.

Can we stop with this. Dareus has been dominant at times in his career here.

He is a top 5 NFL DT.

If you recall Dareus started complaining last year when they were making him drop into coverage. Dareus was great when he was attacking and stuffing the run. All of the sudden he is told to drop into coverage?

IMO Dareus wants out of this mess, and i cant say I blame him.

First, Dareus is absolutely NOT a "top 5 NFL DT". In fact, he's not even top 10. But even if Dareus were a top 5 DT, picking him at 3 overall was a huge blunder because DT is (or should be) a much lower priority position, especially when there are franchise WRs available like J Jones and AJ Green.

This is totally indefensible. I'm not sure if this is on Overdorf, Whaley or ownership, but if it is not ownership then a head should roll.

Whaley, Brandon, and Overdorff are just over their heads in their positions. As was Buddy Nix.

Now we presumably have an owner with no prior experience in the NFL, taking advice from these guys regarding management decisions. Not one is really equipped to run an NFL team.

The committee approach does not work in the NFL. Their needs to be a driving voice and ultimate decider.

We don't have one.

He was on point with what he said. Who the in their right mind does what the Bills did with both of those QB's? Sticky Green Situation that won't be going anywhere soon.

Tyrod was a showing of good faith. He outperformed his previous deal so they flipped him a little more cash this season. I liked the move from a organizational standpoint and the message it sends in the locker room to the other players. We take care of our guys if they TCB on the field. Tyrod was NEVER going to see that 27 mill next year and you're a fool if you believed he was. The only way Tyrod sticks around is if he restructures. If not he will be out the door. With Tyrod's deal there is an out.

Fitz was a Buddy Nix deal, not a Doug Whaley one. Keep that in mind. Fitz looked pretty good for us. We got the version the Jets saw last year and then this year's version after he inked his contract with us. He was not worth the money they gave him, but he was our best QB in the recent years sadly enough.

Dareus we are stuck with at least through at least 2018, so 2 more years of this unless he retires. Hell, we probably have a better chance of him getting banned from the NFL before then.

Whaley, Brandon, and Overdorff are just over their heads in their positions. As was Buddy Nix.

Now we presumably have an owner with no prior experience in the NFL, taking advice from these guys regarding management decisions. Not one is really equipped to run an NFL team.

The committee approach does not work in the NFL. Their needs to be a driving voice and ultimate decider.

We don't have one.

We as Bills (and Sabres) fans are paying the price for Pegula's steep learning curve as an owner. I guess you can't hold that against him though. Everyone has to start out somewhere.

But it doesn't help that he appears to be the lowest information sports fan you've ever known.

First, Dareus is absolutely NOT a "top 5 NFL DT". In fact, he's not even top 10. But even if Dareus were a top 5 DT, picking him at 3 overall was a huge blunder because DT is (or should be) a much lower priority position, especially when there are franchise WRs available like J Jones and AJ Green.

Minus the fact he had 10+ sack season which is unheard of for a DT.

He was the MVP of this defense for 3+ years. This defense revolved around Dareus.

Rex comes in and all of the sudden drafting Dareus was a blunder?

This is pure gold.

Hughes only dropped into coverage 12 times last year, compared to 58 times this year. Mario dropped 28 times this year versus 13 times last year. Kyle and Dareus dropped into coverage 9 times and 0 times respectively in 2014.

It doesn't say how many times Dareus dropped back in 2015. Let's assume it's less than 10 times (it's likely less than Mario). Dareus had 756 plays in 2015.

The chart shows that it was twice.

I'll bite: who are the 10 that are better?

So in other words it is Just Jason Cole being Jason Cole. Trust nothing out of this hacks mouth

Agreed.

I'll try?

Cox, Donald, Richardson, Wilkerson, Brandon Williams, kawann short, Shariff Floyd, Linval joseph, Suh, Malik Jackson, Gerald Mccoy, probably damon harrison, maybe atkins

Not sure all those guys positions exactly, but they're all pretty good

Edited by dneveu

Agreed.

I'll try?

Cox, Donald, Richardson, Wilkerson, Brandon Williams, kawann short, Shariff Floyd, Linval joseph, Suh, Malik Jackson, Gerald Mccoy, probably damon harrison, maybe atkins

Not sure all those guys positions exactly, but they're all pretty good

I have my own list of guys that I would accept as reasonable responses:

Suh, Wilkerson, Atkins, Donald, Cox, and Short. McCoy is borderline IMO.

Richardson hasn't been anywhere near as productive, and Williams is more one-dimensional. Malik Jackson has never crested 4 sacks in a season, and he's not a great run defender...his signing was a massive joke to me (no offense to you intended here).

The chart shows that it was twice.

So he is specifically complaining about a system that had him drop back 2 times all year.

I must say though, the system that guarantees he gets paid for not playing is a much better system.

He must be so torn, internally!