Fred Jackson's restaurant is open - SEAR Buffalo

YoloinOhio

At most high-end steak joints you have to order your sides and/or salad separate. I went to Gibson's in Chicago years ago, and we all ordered a baked potato on the side. The waiter kindly advised us that one baked potato could be shared by all 4 people. The think came to our table and was the size of a football!

My mother in law is one of those people, won't eat steak id there is any pink in it. 3 years ago I had my inlaws over for dinner & I was grilling steaks. It was the middle of winter so I bring the steaks in & of course hers has a little bit of pink inside. So she says can you throw it back on the grill. It is like 10 degrees outside. I am like I guess so. So I go out & slip on a piece of ice on the deck & her steak goes flying and I land right on my back right on one of the steps on the patio. I was in so much pain. So I finally lift myself up & I literally crawl into the house because I have a welt on my backbone the size of a grapefruit. I am crying in pain on the couch my MIL go "I could see your going to blame this whole thing on me." & my wife says "mom of course he is not going to blame it on you it was an accident." I prop my head up on the couch & scream at both of them saying "your dam right I am going to blame the whole thing on you, would it kill you to eat a raw piece of meat?" Yeah good times, I still have a little welt on my back from that incident. I wanted to strangle her.

Edited by Gordio

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

based on your posts, you are normally correct. but are you certain of this? he sold his house in hamburg last year a few months after he was cut. i saw it in the real estate transactions. never saw him buy anything else (but i only read the southtowns parts of the transactions).

I think you are right, My wife follows him and his wife on Instagram and I think she told me they're in Des Moines or somewhere around there

My mother in law is one of those people, won't eat steak id there is any pink in it. 3 years ago I had my inlaws over for dinner & I was grilling steaks. It was the middle of winter so I bring the steaks in & of course hers has a little bit of pink inside. So she says can you throw it back on the grill. It is like 10 degrees outside. I am like I guess so. So I go out & slip on a piece of ice on the deck & her steak goes flying and I land right on my back right on one of the steps on the patio. I was in so much pain. So I finally lift myself up & I literally crawl into the house because I have a welt on my backbone the size of a grapefruit. I am crying in pain on the couch my MIL go "I could see your going to blame this whole thing on me." & my wife says "mom of course he is not going to blame it on you it was an accident." I prop my head up on the couch & scream at both of them saying "your dam right I am going to blame the whole thing on you, would it kill you to eat a raw piece of meat?" Yeah good times, I still have a little welt on my back from that incident. I wanted to strangle her.

Freaking in-laws....

It's a pain in the ass for the griller to cook steaks between mid-rare and well done. Much easier to cook between medium to mid rare. Sunnamobitches!

based on your posts, you are normally correct. but are you certain of this? he sold his house in hamburg last year a few months after he was cut. i saw it in the real estate transactions. never saw him buy anything else (but i only read the southtowns parts of the transactions).

nope, not certain. Didn't know he sold his house. Just thought he was still living there based on his twitter and knew the restaurant was there. Edited by YoloinOhio

I rarely get to Buffalo these days, but I'm trilled they opened this restaurant for this reason - because of Sear I learned about and purchased my Anova immersion circulator. I just bought a whole beef tenderloin for the Friday after Thanksgiving when the family is still in town and I know I can't screw it up! :)

Took my son to SEAR after the game Sunday.

Let me premise this by stating in a previous life I spent years taking customers to high end chop houses (because I could expense it). Bob's in Dallas remains, to me, the finest in the country. You're eating the very best cut of beef, the freshest sides,etc.

I get it.

But SEAR is WAAAAAYYYYY over priced for where it is and what they're serving. We started with the shrimp cocktail, each had 6 oz. filet mignons, shared potatoes and mushrooms, and there was literally nothing put in front of us that even a relatively competent home chef couldn't make on their own with ease with an Anova sous vide and a Costco membership.

To make matters worse, our waitress was also handling a table in their private room for one of the SEAR owners (the agent dude), who she said was with Pegula and Brandon. Why in the holy hell would you let that server handle any other table than the one with the owner? Once our meal was delivered, we were ignored, which was particularly disappointing since they knew it was my son's birthday. (He's 12, Chef.)

There's more to a chophouse than an overpriced steak, and the restaurant has a crapload of work to do to stand out.

Let me premise this by stating in a previous life I spent years taking customers to high end chop houses (because I could expense it). Bob's in Dallas remains, to me, the finest in the country. You're eating the very best cut of beef, the freshest sides,etc.

I get it.

But SEAR is WAAAAAYYYYY over priced for where it is and what they're serving. We started with the shrimp cocktail, each had 6 oz. filet mignons, shared potatoes and mushrooms, and there was literally nothing put in front of us that even a relatively competent home chef couldn't make on their own with ease with an Anova sous vide and a Costco membership.

To make matters worse, our waitress was also handling a table in their private room for one of the SEAR owners (the agent dude), who she said was with Pegula and Brandon. Why in the holy hell would you let that server handle any other table than the one with the owner? Once our meal was delivered, we were ignored, which was particularly disappointing since they knew it was my son's birthday. (He's 12, Chef.)

There's more to a chophouse than an overpriced steak, and the restaurant has a crapload of work to do to stand out.

What did the bill come to when it was all said and done?

I get it.

i stayed at the Embassy Suites this trip...went onto the bar later on Saturday..say around 11.30 PM.

I agree the decor did not match what i was expecting from a high-end steak joint. But hey, i was at the bar and it was packed with, as the say, "a mature crowd", so i decided to grab a beer.

They had a decent draft beer selection, and i ordered a Tank 7, one of favorites , and i drink quite often.Beer was skunked and bad...like something seriously wrong with the beer.Like bad like people could get sick from it.

Bartender argued with me about it., and implied i just did not know the style and what a good Saison should taste like. Okay. Chalk one up to the customer is always wrong!

And, i am quite sure there was more than one pro in that joint...said no thanks to the beer and headed up to the room and drank a free SmartMouth Saison!!!!.

Went back down Sunday...asked if they had taken the Tank 7 off the list as it was bad and someone may get sick...bartender said they had heard from a few people tasted bad on Saturday, but they would keep till the keg kicks. HMMMMM

i stayed at the Embassy Suites this trip...went onto the bar later on Saturday..say around 11.30 PM.

I agree the decor did not match what i was expecting from a high-end steak joint. But hey, i was at the bar and it was packed with, as the say, "a mature crowd", so i decided to grab a beer.

They had a decent draft beer selection, and i ordered a Tank 7, one of favorites , and i drink quite often.Beer was skunked and bad...like something seriously wrong with the beer.Like bad like people could get sick from it.

Bartender argued with me about it., and implied i just did not know the style and what a good Saison should taste like. Okay. Chalk one up to the customer is always wrong!

And, i am quite sure there was more than one pro in that joint...said no thanks to the beer and headed up to the room and drank a free SmartMouth Saison!!!!.

Went back down Sunday...asked if they had taken the Tank 7 off the list as it was bad and someone may get sick...bartender said they had heard from a few people tasted bad on Saturday, but they would keep till the keg kicks. HMMMMM

yiiiiikes

Or they let the lines get dirty. I could easily see that happening in a place that isn't focused on beer and has arrogant bartenders.

Or they let the lines get dirty. I could easily see that happening in a place that isn't focused on beer and has arrogant bartenders.

Thats what i thought as well, and it tasted like maybe mold etc if the line, but just opened though like a week ago...

"Well I have to tell you, a restaurant is a very tricky investment. More than half of them go under within the first six months."

Name that movie quote!

"This Could Have Been My Life"

Written, Produced, Directed by and staring Chef Jim.

I get it.

Not only having the server who is handling that type of VIP table serving other tables but not having a few of your servers on deck with that type of table. And to the highlighted part? You're killing me man! :lol:

Oh and it sounds like they need someone running the joint that understands the business. I may be looking for a career change.

Edited by Chef Jim

Yea those people get chicken or they don't eat.