Republicans Control More Than 2/3 of State Legislatures

My point is, she lost. You can stare at the numbers however you want, and try to feel better because Trump didn't really win so much as she lost...but she still lost.

That's it. You don't get a medal for second place here, though, y'know, I give the Dems time before they try to make that a law.

Again you dont fin read... not saying it but if your Repubs go rogue with Repub laws itll flip fast like it did in Clinton's first term. The above policy items in his first post are non starters. Plently items that many folks here except the extreme left could get on board with.... but you go with his agenda and see where it goes.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again you dont fin read... not saying it but if your Repubs go rogue with Repub laws itll flip fast like it did in Clinton's first term. The above policy items in his first post are non starters. Plently items that many folks here except the extreme left could get on board with.... but you go with his agenda and see where it goes.

The left is ALREADY burning schitt, and he hasn't even been sworn in yet. Do you honestly think the left will get on board with ANYTHING he does? Please. They'll kill him before they work with him.

Which is too bad, because the reality is that Trump is a Democrat, and he'll probably try to do some infrastructure crap, etc.

But listen to me now and believe me later...the left, as a whole, will NEVER work with him. Ever.

The left is ALREADY burning schitt, and he hasn't even been sworn in yet. Do you honestly think the left will get on board with ANYTHING he does? Please. They'll kill him before they work with him.

Which is too bad, because the reality is that Trump is a Democrat, and he'll probably try to do some infrastructure crap, etc.

But listen to me now and believe me later...the left, as a whole, will NEVER work with him. Ever.

Even if he pushed forward the entire Democratic Party platform, they still wouldn't work with him. He could try to implement socialized medicine and completely privatize Wall Street, and the Democrats would vote against it...because if he did, the Republicans would get the credit instead of them.

First off your an idiot about hard codifying... no such thing that has already been done. If you want to clarify the first and second ammendment to meet your right wing paranoia needs, than you would need 2/3 of states to ratify such amendments..... reread your constitution.

2nd yes since The Repubs control that much though Im not sure what the Governor situation nor the approval process of an amendment is in each state i suppose it could be close but such amendments are not fillibuster proof in the US Senate

So unreasonable tin hat changes are unlikely to happen. Reasonable agenda items can, but you assume Trump would support this sort of nonsense and even Senate Republicans.

HRC had more votes than Trump so the backlash imo would be swift at even the attempt which would take more than 2 years.. But go ahead and dream...

On marriage I agree, but too many fees are collected and tax exemptions earned, since its about money not gonna happen, they are already dug in that pocket like a spring time dog tick.

Unsure of last one? Why limit an experiment that may or may not work... Let it fall under its own weight.. Gonna happen anyway... BTW the later is an abridgement of your second idea.... sshhhh...

That I could agree with as long as it includes the military.... Also would like the President to have a line item veto, term limits to 2 Senate terms and 4 House terms.

I'll just point out that I find it "interesting" that you would call me an idiot for pointing out a Constitututional provision, then refer to the Constitutional provision itself to mark me as correct, and then to summarize by admitting your own complete ignorance of the topic.

Good work there.

Even if he pushed forward the entire Democratic Party platform, they still wouldn't work with him. He could try to implement socialized medicine and completely privatize Wall Street, and the Democrats would vote against it...because if he did, the Republicans would get the credit instead of them.

nailed it.

Liberals already calling for obstructing any infrastructure funding bill because it was Obama's idea and they don't want Republicans to get credit.

THE GOP: AMERICA’S PARTY

During the run-up to this year’s election, we saw the usual nonsense about how the Republican Party may become extinct as a result of the inevitable Hillary landslide. The landslide, of course, didn’t happen, and neither party is going out of existence any time soon. But if that fate awaits either major party, it is the Democrats, not the Republicans.

As I wrote after the 2014 election, the GOP has become America’s party. At the state level, Republicans now dominate. You hear a lot about the Democrats’ “thin bench.” That is no coincidence: the Democrats are losing elections pretty consistently, up and down the ticket, and you have to win to get onto the bench.

In one of its 2016 election post mortems, the Washington Post takes a brief glance at reality:

[The Democratic] party has also been hollowed out in state capitals across the country. Where Democrats held 29 governorships when Obama was inaugurated, they can count only 15 in the wake of Tuesday’s election. In 2017, Republicans could tie the record for controlling governorships, which is 34, set in 1922 when Warren Harding was president. (One governor is an independent, and a recount is possible in North Carolina, where the Democrat has a narrow lead.)

A large majority of Americans live under Republican governors.

During the Obama presidency, more than 900 Democratic state legislators were defeated.

On Tuesday, Republicans picked up additional legislative chambers, and continued to make gains in state houses, with 24 states now having the “trifecta” control of both houses of the state legislature and the governor’s mansion.

So in almost half of the states, Democrats don’t control anything.

{snip}

As of January, the GOP will control the presidency, the House, the Senate, and an overwhelming majority of state government institutions. Just about the only things the Democrats control will be the press and–far more important–the federal bureaucracy. The funny thing about the Democratic Press is that they are so self-absorbed that they don’t seem to have noticed that, across the country, their party is getting clobbered.

shutterstock_129316361.jpg?resize=445%2C

When your most vocal supporters (BLM, Feminists, LGBTQIAPK) all believe that their is some secret institutional conspiracy bringing them down, why would they come out and vote in elections? They ALL prefer to play the victim and become social media famous than to contribute to the establishment by voting.

Listened to your prediction about the election....how did that work out for you

Listened to your prediction about the election....how did that work out for you

Working out great. Never been so happy to be so wrong. It was the best wrong I've ever been. If my prediction were a country, it would be called Wrongtopia.

And even in Wrongtopia, you nutbag leftists would still be crying, whining and burning stuff, because you precious snowflakes will never, ever be able to take defeat graciously.

Oh, wait. This is probably where you tell us you used to be a Democrat, but the party left you, and now you're a Green Peace Libertarian!!!!! :lol:

Edited by LABillzFan

Working out great. Never been so happy to be so wrong. It was the best wrong I've ever been. If my prediction were a country, it would be called Wrongtopia.

And even in Wrongtopia, you nutbag leftists would still be crying, whining and burning stuff, because you precious snowflakes will never, ever be able to take defeat graciously.

Oh, wait. This is probably where you tell us you used to be a Democrat, but the party left you, and now you're a Green Peace Libertarian!!!!! :lol:

Ahh..calling an error a victory...Bravo!

I am not really worked up over labels like left, right, green, red...whatever - I look for policies and what results they produce....

Right now we have 5 percent unemployment, GDP growth steady and around 2 percent, household leverage has dropped dramatically, we do not have kids getting killed over in the middle east, gas and energy prices are low, inflation is low. The deficit is back to historical rates - but still not balanced. Illegal residence down during the last 8 years from 12M to 11M. Crime - although ticked up - is still at historical lows. The stock market is at an all time high.

Income inequality is still awful and sectors of America have been left behind. College costs too much and health care costs and delivery stink.

Those are the metrics that the DT era starts with - let's see how he does.

I am not really worked up over labels like left, right, green, red...whatever - I look for policies and what results they produce....

Right now we have 5 percent unemployment, GDP growth steady and around 2 percent, household leverage has dropped dramatically, we do not have kids getting killed over in the middle east, gas and energy prices are low, inflation is low. The deficit is back to historical rates - but still not balanced. Illegal residence down during the last 8 years from 12M to 11M. Crime - although ticked up - is still at historical lows. The stock market is at an all time high.

Income inequality is still awful and sectors of America have been left behind. College costs too much and health care costs and delivery stink.

Gee, everything sounds so amazing, it's hard to imagine how Hillary lost. You would think the world would be BEGGING for four more years of Obama's policies!

Stupid racists. Stupid misogynists. Stupid rednecks. If only you could see all the beauty that baskin sees! :lol::lol:

as a decent speaker and of knowledge enough compared to the average here...

You being the contrary opinionnof what is going on...

Speaking on jobs - what is an acceptable rate of job growth in 2Q 2017? What is job rate now on same said scale?

How many troops deployed to the middle East will be accepted ? How many are now?

What about crime now to then?

as a decent speaker and of knowledge enough compared to the average here...

You being the contrary opinionnof what is going on...

Speaking on jobs - what is an acceptable rate of job growth in 2Q 2017? What is job rate now on same said scale?

How many troops deployed to the middle East will be accepted ? How many are now?

What about crime now to then?

You're asking baskin for specifics?

This should end well. :lol::lol:

You're asking baskin for specifics?

This should end well. :lol::lol:

I'm curious what he will take away from this. Curious what he sees going forward with this. Its one thing for you to be way off with the election results and own it - your off base being due to widespread expectations of a Clinton landslide and the ability for her to so easily win. But the biggest interesting point will be what he will see as successful, failure or moot.

I'm curious what he will take away from this. Curious what he sees going forward with this. Its one thing for you to be way off with the election results and own it - your off base being due to widespread expectations of a Clinton landslide and the ability for her to so easily win. But the biggest interesting point will be what he will see as successful, failure or moot.

Let me save you the trouble.

He will tell you what he took away from this is that THIS is the reason he is no longer a member of the (fill in the blank) party.

What proportion of the Democrats Congressional Caucus comes from the Left Coast, New England, New York/New Jersey, plus Illinois?

I'm going to venture guess a quarter to a third

Now tell me again how the Republicans are a fringe party of southern white males?

What proportion of the Democrats Congressional Caucus comes from the Left Coast, New England, New York/New Jersey, plus Illinois?

I'm going to venture guess a quarter to a third

Now tell me again how the Republicans are a fringe party of southern white males?

A third of all House Democrats now hail from three states (CA, NY, MA).

California alone accounts for 20% of the House Democratic caucus.

I could care less about Gay rights/marriage. My preferred solution is to get the government out of the marriage business completely.

As far as abortion goes, it's not a settled issue so long as a significant portion of the population believes it to be a murder of convenience.

I " couldn't care less " about gay marriage . Government doesn't belong in the marriage business. It doesn't belong in the reproductive control business either. Abortion should stay legal, as no one but the woman herself should make that decision . It doesn't matter what a " significant " portion of the population thinks about it. They can decide whether or not they wish to abort their own pregnancy if the situation arises. Should keep them sleeping easily at night. It is really a settled issue.

I " couldn't care less " about gay marriage . Government doesn't belong in the marriage business.

Fine, you corrected his vernacular. Well done.

It doesn't belong in the reproductive control business either. Abortion should stay legal, as no one but the woman herself should make that decision . It doesn't matter what a " significant " portion of the population thinks about it. They can decide whether or not they wish to abort their own pregnancy if the situation arises. Should keep them sleeping easily at night. It is really a settled issue.

You say that government doesn't belong in "the reproductive control business" either, but it's worth consideration that it may well be within constitutional authority to address the belief that the unborn are citizens-to-be deserving of constitutional protection.

It doesn't belong in the reproductive control business either. Abortion should stay legal, as no one but the woman herself should make that decision ..

I totally agree. It is not the Government's business to decide. Nor is it the Government's business to subsidize

out of 57 ?... :lol:

FUNDAMENTALLY TRANSFORMED: There are only 4 states with a Democratic Governor and both houses of the state legislature controlled by Democrats.

“Results are still trickling in, but it looks like Republicans will still control an all-time high 69 of 99 state legislative chambers. They’ll hold at least 33 governorships, tying a 94-year-old record.”

DEMDECLINE3-600x370.jpg

I " couldn't care less " about gay marriage . Government doesn't belong in the marriage business. It doesn't belong in the reproductive control business either. Abortion should stay legal, as no one but the woman herself should make that decision . It doesn't matter what a " significant " portion of the population thinks about it. They can decide whether or not they wish to abort their own pregnancy if the situation arises. Should keep them sleeping easily at night. It is really a settled issue.

All well and good, but if no one but the woman should make that decision, then no one but the woman should pay for it.

But that's just it: it's not the reproductive control business, it's the protection of natural human rights business; which starts with the notion that the unborn has the right to life, which includes not being killed by their mothers because their mothers were sexually irresponsible and now find them to be inconvenient.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Fine, you corrected his vernacular. Well done.

You say that government doesn't belong in "the reproductive control business" either, but it's worth consideration that it may well be within constitutional authority to address the belief that the unborn are citizens-to-be deserving of constitutional protection.

They are not. They haven't been born , or in a lot of cases even partially developed. Still the woman's domain.

But that's just it: it's not the reproductive control business, it's the protection of natural human rights business; which starts with the notion that the unborn has the right to life, which includes not being killed by their mothers because their mothers were sexually irresponsible and now find them to be inconvenient.

But it doesn't have any rights. Nor did you when you but a blob of fetal tissue. The woman takes all priority because it is inside her body, and without her doesn't exist. You idiots just want to take all the fun out of sex anyways. Be glad you were born and don't have an abortion. Forget about anyone else. Besides, in many cases that blob waiting to be born will be born to a cracked out loser and be on the road to jail in short order. Not to mention more government benefits. Unimpeded population growth is not a good thing. We can't afford it. If the mother is considering an abortion she probably can't afford it either. Birth control doesn't always work. But we must punish folks for being irresponsible and having sex. Freak..

All well and good, but if no one but the woman should make that decision, then no one but the woman should pay for it.

Different issue . It's a logical stance. But If they don't have health insurance, then we all probably pay for it. That too is another issue. The abortion costs far less than government benefits for umpteen years, though. Which is smarter? I don't like all the things that my tax dollars go for either. Wouldn't it be nice to pick and choose each box we would like our dollars going to? I don't like paying for my neighbors kids to go to school, for starters. I should pay a lower rate . It could go on endlessly, but yes I agree women paying for their own abortions makes sense.

But it doesn't have any rights. Nor did you when you but a blob of fetal tissue. The woman takes all priority because it is inside her body, and without her doesn't exist. You idiots just want to take all the fun out of sex anyways. Be glad you were born and don't have an abortion. Forget about anyone else. Besides, in many cases that blob waiting to be born will be born to a cracked out loser and be on the road to jail in short order. Not to mention more government benefits. Unimpeded population growth is not a good thing. We can't afford it. If the mother is considering an abortion she probably can't afford it either. Birth control doesn't always work. But we must punish folks for being irresponsible and having sex. Freak..

So this is an argument for late term abortions then as well? An advocation for partial birth, and an floating position on when life begins based on nothing more than the whims of the individual woman in her individual circumstances?

Sally says her 8 mo. pregnancy isn't a life, so she gets to terminate at her leisure, but Tammy goes in to labor prematurely, and has her baby at 7 mo. and it's completely viable?

Your standard is laughable because it lacks any consistency, and places the standard of when human life begins on nothing more than the arbitrary whims on other individuals, regardless of science; not to mention that it's morally reprehensible. Do you also advocate for the wholesale slaughter of toddlers born into poor circumstances? Or is your absurd position linked solely to what side of a vagina a person resides on?

As for the sex portion: use birth control or stick it in her ass.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

They are not. They haven't been born , or in a lot of cases even partially developed. Still the woman's domain.

Different issue . It's a logical stance. But If they don't have health insurance, then we all probably pay for it. That too is another issue. The abortion costs far less than government benefits for umpteen years, though. Which is smarter? I don't like all the things that my tax dollars go for either. Wouldn't it be nice to pick and choose each box we would like our dollars going to? I don't like paying for my neighbors kids to go to school, for starters. I should pay a lower rate . It could go on endlessly, but yes I agree women paying for their own abortions makes sense.

By your apparent way of thinking, the definition of what's a baby and what's "a blob of fetal tissue" depends on either the child's physical location (in or out of the womb) or the mother's personal feelings at the time. That's ridiculous.

What you're calling for is government sanction of personal irresponsibility, and trying to mask that behind the flawed notion that state sponsored abortion is less of a financial burden on the taxpayer than the subsequent welfare will be. Whether you realize it or not, you're using a favorite tactic of the left: casting the issue as if it only effects the poor. It doesn't, and considering that the victim in all this - whether wanted or unwanted - is a baby, then greater emphasis should be placed on the ramifications of promoting such behavior.

So this is an argument for late term abortions then as well? An advocation for partial birth, and an floating position on when life begins based on nothing more than the whims of the individual woman in her individual circumstances?

Sally says her 8 mo. pregnancy isn't a life, so she gets to terminate at her leisure, but Tammy goes in to labor prematurely, and has her baby at 7 mo. and it's completely viable?

Your standard is laughable because it lacks any consistency, and places the standard of when human life begins on nothing more than the arbitrary whims on other individuals, regardless of science; not to mention that it's morally reprehensible. Do you also advocate for the wholesale slaughter of toddlers born into poor circumstances? Or is your absurd position linked solely to what side of a vagina a person resides on?

This.

Democrats Got Wrecked Again in State Legislative Races, and it Matters More Than You Might Think.

“In Minnesota, Republicans erased a 38-28 Democratic majority in a single election and will enter the 2017 session with a one-seat majority in the state Senate (they flipped the state House in the 2014 midterms). Aside from Donald Trump’s shocking win in the presidential race, the outcome in Minnesota might have been the biggest surprise of election night, but it fits within a national trend. Democrats are struggling to hold legislative majorities, even in typically blue-ish states like Minnesota.

In red or purple states? Forget about it.”

By your apparent way of thinking, the definition of what's a baby and what's "a blob of fetal tissue" depends on either the child's physical location (in or out of the womb) or the mother's personal feelings at the time. That's ridiculous.

Considering there's no measurable criteria for "when life begins," it's not as ridiculous as one might think.

It's why it's an issue: it's an abstract philosophical issue, open to different interpretations.

It's a logical stance. But If they don't have health insurance, then we all probably pay for it. That too is another issue. The abortion costs far less than government benefits for umpteen years, though. Which is smarter? I don't like all the things that my tax dollars go for either. Wouldn't it be nice to pick and choose each box we would like our dollars going to? I don't like paying for my neighbors kids to go to school, for starters. I should pay a lower rate . It could go on endlessly, but yes I agree women paying for their own abortions makes sense.

A lot of this comes down to faith. You clearly are not a Christian, and that's cool because it's your choice. So your first belief is that the blob in the belly is just a blob, and it's preferable to slice up and terminate the blob than it is to bring the blob into the world where countless families stand in long lines to adopt the blob to a home.

I'm curious, though. Are you equally dismissive of other religious doctrines? Or are you ready to call someone Islamophobic because you feel they are not being cordial and understanding to Muslims and their doctrine, which may or may not include killing as many Americans as possible?

Just an honest question.

Considering there's no measurable criteria for "when life begins," it's not as ridiculous as one might think.

It's why it's an issue: it's an abstract philosophical issue, open to different interpretations.

That's why I didn't characterize what he said as being completely ridiculous.

A lot of this comes down to faith. You clearly are not a Christian, and that's cool because it's your choice.

Abortion, and the belief that life begins at conception are not Christian (religious) beliefs. They are a secular belief that many Christians (religious people) trend towards because Christians (the religious) tend to hold the lives of the innocent in higher regard than the non-religious/atheists/agnostics.

Abortion, and the belief that life begins at conception are not Christian (religious) beliefs. They are a secular belief that many Christians (religious people) trend towards because Christians (the religious) tend to hold the lives of the innocent in higher regard than the non-religious/atheists/agnostics.

Let me preface this by stating I am in no way an authority on the Bible or even Christianity, but the idea that life begins at conception is absolutely the belief of Christians who believes the Bible is God's inerrant word, because they believe, as the God's holy word tells them, that God plays a roll in the creation of every fetus. And since God considers that fetus as his child, killing that child is murder.

Again, I'm talking about Christians who follow the Bible as God's word, not people who think they believe in God as a way to hedge a bet on their eternal life like they believed in Santa; "just in case."

Let me preface this by stating I am in no way an authority on the Bible or even Christianity, but the idea that life begins at conception is absolutely the belief of Christians who believes the Bible is God's inerrant word, because they believe, as the God's holy word tells them, that God plays a roll in the creation of every fetus. And since God considers that fetus as his child, killing that child is murder.

Again, I'm talking about Christians who follow the Bible as God's word, not people who think they believe in God as a way to hedge a bet on their eternal life like they believed in Santa; "just in case."

And it bugs the **** out of me when people say those Christians are "wrong." They don't hold a provable or measurable opinion, which makes it one that I would not want to legislate on, as I would not want to force others via secular law to live according to a devout Christian paradigm.

But that doesn't make them "wrong." That's not a provable or measurable opinion, either.

I'm not into infanticide.

As I said, the belief itself is not necessarily a religious one. Believing that life begins at conception does not require you to be religious.

As I said, the belief itself is not necessarily a religious one. Believing that life begins at conception does not require you to be religious.

What you initially wrote was " Abortion, and the belief that life begins at conception are not Christian (religious) beliefs,"

That's wrong. They are.

I think what you're trying to say is they are not exclusively a religious belief, and that would be true, too.

What you initially wrote was " Abortion, and the belief that life begins at conception are not Christian (religious) beliefs,"

That's wrong. They are.

I think what you're trying to say is they are not exclusively a religious belief, and that would be true, too.

That's correct. I could have been more clear.

That's correct. I could have been more clear.

Frankly, I think most people find abortion to be ethically or morally problematic. But the left has turned abortion into a cash cow for their campaigns, so it's financially to their advantage to yell about abortion during elections so their base will open up their purses again.

Edited by LABillzFan