Big-a$$ fire at former Bethlehem Steel plant in Lackawanna

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they were reporting that the light bulb was put on some cardboard. at 200+ degrees that's not a smart move.

Officials have ruled out the light bulb as the cause. They might be looking into "internal lighting" as the cause. Some of the ash traveled as far as Hamburg High School, 7-8 miles away.

it's still smoldering as of this morning. they have started demolition on one of the affected buildings.

the fire was in an area described it as an area roughly 6 city blocks by 6 city blocks. in spite of that (huge) size, this is a relatively small overall portion of the former footprint of the original Bethlehem Steel. I think this was one plant where they did cold-rolled stuff (but i could be mistaken).

there were a few businesses in there; self-storage and some type of plastics manufacturer is what's being reported.

Exactly what I was thinking, the only setback is the environmental cleanup on that whole corridor.

easy fix...

Tpegs- yeah, I'd like to build a new stadium for the Bills that will be more on par with the rest of the NFL.

City/State- where would you like to build it?

Tpegs- how about the old Bethlehem Steel site?

City/State- we would like "$XXXXX" for that site.

Tpegs- how about you sell it to me for $1.00 and I'll personally spend the hundreds of millions it'll cost to clean up the potentially hazardous site?

City/State- can you pay us 100 checks of .01 each so that we feel like we got a deal of multiple payments?

Tpegs- I can do better, I'll personally send you .01 each month for the next 100 months just so you don't have to waste the time to go cash the checks

The fire is on the east side of Route 5, not the large portion of the old plant on the lake. It's right next to residential homes.

IMG_5495.JPG

did we just get nuked by Russia :wacko:

Wow! that is a ton of buildings in that complex. Was it all Bethlehem Steel at one time?

They have portable air monitors set up all over the area. The wind blew SE Wednesday, NE on thursday, and SE agin Friday,

If you talking about the NYSDEC the same group who knew about violations from tonawanda coke. And did nothing until people got ill

Wow! that is a ton of buildings in that complex. Was it all Bethlehem Steel at one time?

The buildings that burned were just storage warehouses now and by comparison are some of the "smaller" buildings. A friend sent me this picture that gives an idea of the scope. The small red triangle is what burned in the fire. All the land to the west of that across Route 5 was once Bethlehem Steel.

fx9h1tK.jpg

Here's a 1966 photo of the plant.

Top right of the photo, underneath the "160", is the Tifft Street Bridge. The plant begins at the water (north) and goes down to the bottom of the photo (south).

The photo is about 3 miles square, so this would give you an idea of how large the plan was.