Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

Well at least 1 of them made the right decision as Battle will be returning!

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2017/03/tyus_battle_definitely_returning_to_syracuse_basketball_next_season.html

If he gets drafted anywhere in the first round it's the right decision for him. Guaranteed $2 mil. If NBA doesn't work out, he can go play in Europe. Finish school after he's done playing ball and has some money in the bank.

I'm certain that Tyler Ennis doesn't regret the $5 mil he's going to have made by the end of this year. Also pretty sure Malachi doesn't mind getting paid to play NBA ball right now either.

I get the idea but I just disagree. With the wage scale in the NBA players don't get paid until their 2nd and 3rd contracts (if they get there) and they are percentage increases. It behooves all of these guys to go as high as possible in the draft. Lydon right now is hoping to go at the end of the first. If he stayed and went were Kamisky went (I know white on white comp but I think it fits well - Kamisky was better than Lydon is right now) he would make much more money.

Here is a good link for more info

If someone gets picked 11th they make 6.4 in the first 3 years. 21st like Malachi is only 4 million. Never mind if they drop out of the first which Lydon certainly could do and then there is no guaranteed money. Making 5 million is cool but shortsighted. Players have to be looking at earning that second contract. That takes players from rich to set for life. I'm not upset and I get the idea of leaving if you know you can I just don't think it is smart.

Dion Waiters, Melo, Wes Johnson, MCW, even Jonny Flynn made the right call because they were lottery picks. This is where I agree with your point even if I think Waiters and Flynn could have made themselves better by staying.

Donte Greene, Paul Harris, Devendorf, Ennis, Richardson (especially him - best of this bunch imo and probably a top 10 pick this year), Chris McCullough (you forget about him? I did lol) all should have continued playing college ball.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least 1 of them made the right decision as Battle will be returning!

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2017/03/tyus_battle_definitely_returning_to_syracuse_basketball_next_season.html

I get the idea but I just disagree. With the wage scale in the NBA players don't get paid until their 2nd and 3rd contracts (if they get there) and they are percentage increases. It behooves all of these guys to go as high as possible in the draft. Lydon right now is hoping to go at the end of the first. If he stayed and went were Kamisky went (I know white on white comp but I think it fits well - Kamisky was better than Lydon is right now) he would make much more money.

Here is a good link for more info

If someone gets picked 11th they make 6.4 in the first 3 years. 21st like Malachi is only 4 million. Never mind if they drop out of the first which Lydon certainly could do and then there is no guaranteed money. Making 5 million is cool but shortsighted. Players have to be looking at earning that second contract. That takes players from rich to set for life. I'm not upset and I get the idea of leaving if you know you can I just don't think it is smart.

Dion Waiters, Melo, Wes Johnson, MCW, even Jonny Flynn made the right call because they were lottery picks. This is where I agree with your point even if I think Waiters and Flynn could have made themselves better by staying.

Donte Greene, Paul Harris, Devendorf, Ennis, Richardson (especially him - best of this bunch imo and probably a top 10 pick this year), Chris McCullough (you forget about him? I did lol) all should have continued playing college ball.

I thought jerami grant should have stayed but he proved me wrong in regards to money anyway (still think he would have been a better player in the NBA if he stayed one more year and thus made more over the long run) McCullough I think has earned a decent wage too but out him in the same boat as grant, lydon would be lucky to get where they are of now, he stays another year then he'd be on grant and McCullough level and senior year he'd have a potential for a lottery pick imo

I thought jerami grant should have stayed but he proved me wrong in regards to money anyway (still think he would have been a better player in the NBA if he stayed one more year and thus made more over the long run) McCullough I think has earned a decent wage too but out him in the same boat as grant, lydon would be lucky to get where they are of now, he stays another year then he'd be on grant and McCullough level and senior year he'd have a potential for a lottery pick imo

Forgot all about about Grant. Man so much talent missed with these guys leaving early for the check!

I hope Lydon comes back but won't hold my breath. At least he hasn't signed with an Agent yet.

Forgot all about about Grant. Man so much talent missed with these guys leaving early for the check!

I hope Lydon comes back but won't hold my breath. At least he hasn't signed with an Agent yet.

That's what I said regarding Lydon, others said in this thread that he did sign with an agent.....

"It's always their decision whether they should go," Boeheim said. "You don't have to agree with it, but you do have to support that decision. I'll be very happy for him because he's a great kid."

Boeheim said most college coaches believe that if a player is not bound for the NBA lottery, he should return to school if he's capable of reaching that coveted and lucrative spot in the draft.

"I know he can be," Boeheim said, "and that's what I told him. I think that's a better way to go to the NBA and make more money. They draft you high, they play you. Half the picks between 20 and 30 are out of the league within three years. But again, it comes down to what he thinks, what he wants to do. I'm just grateful he's given us the two years he's given us. He's been a huge part of our team."

Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim said he spoke with Orange sophomore Tyler Lydon at 1 p.m. Monday. At that point, Boeheim said, Lydon had not signed with an agent, which would end his college eligibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Lydon is falling out of first round projections....wonder if that will impact his hiring an agent. Based on the rumors we have read here, wonder if he has any bridges left, sounds like he may have burned a couple

Lydon is falling out of first round projections....wonder if that will impact his hiring an agent. Based on the rumors we have read here, wonder if he has any bridges left, sounds like he may have burned a couple

Well if he was rumored to have beef with Gillon, he wont have to worry about that as Gillon is gone, but if he was smart he would return for another season and get that first round grade. If Thompson can figure out how to defend the middle of the zone, a core of Battle Lydon and Thompson would be nice.

Allen Griffin joins the staff, plus we have an official visit happening this weekend from a 4-star recruit....

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2017/04/syracuse_coach_jim_boeheim_tabs_former_player_allen_griffin_as_assistant_coach.html#incart_river_home

Jordan Tucker would be a huge commit. Long, athletic small forward with a great perimeter shot. Can get to the rim and shoot off the bounce. I hear GT is the favorite, Cuse 2nd, Oregon and Nova are long shots. I think we have a puncher's chance of landing him if his visit goes well (keep him away from Frank Howard).

I'm excited about Allen Griffin joining the staff. I always liked him as a player, and he has 5 solid years of coaching experience. Nice to bring those Cuse guys back. I hear his primary responsibility is going to be working with the big fellas. Interesting.

Another tid-bit I read today is that red-shirt sophomore SF, Matthew Moyer, has put 20 pounds on his frame and is down to 4% body fat. GMac says he has been busting his balls in the weight room, and has really improved his shot. I think he will surprise next season.

Now we just need to land a 2017 combo guard, or SG. Hopefully, Eric Ayala reclassified to '17 and picks Cuse.

Take this for what it's worth from Jordan Tuckers twitter feed

https://mobile.twitter.com/Therealjtucks/status/850469411098177537

Recent personal visit from Jim Boeheim, promptly schedules official visit to Syracuse, posts this on his twitter feed. Yeah, things are looking promising with the Tucker recruitment. Too bad the weather is going to be so crappy for his visit. Georgia Tech will get his last official unless (crossing my fingers) he commits to SU first.

not sure if we should take anything more than him just enjoying his visit

attachicon.gifC86wpYsU0AAlnXU.jpg

I guess not

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

What a tease...

I'm feeling Cuse/Ga Tech at 50/50 right now. He's scheduled to visit Oregon as well, but they are not believed to be in contention. He probably just wants to pose in all that Oregon Nike swag.

I'm also hearing that we are out on 2017 SG Chris Duarte. Boeheim is moving on.

• 4 weeks later...

Slovak player visiting the Hill...and what is up with Tucker? Duke needs to back the f*** off.... :-)

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2017/05/syracuse_gets_visit_from_slovakian_forward_marek_dolezaj.html

Seriously. Kevin Knox commits to Kentucky, and all of a sudden Duke offers him the next day. I think just about everyone saw it coming, and he has made it known all along that he was waiting for an offer from either Duke or Kentucky. I would be shocked if Coack K didn't land him. Sid Wilson is the backup plan, but he is nowhere near the shooter that Tucker is, and that is what we need. Uggh....

Good now we can boo him whenever he comes here, and to choose duke where he wasn't even a consideration for them til just now shows how much they really wanted him.....

Not to mention Coach K will likely over-recruit that position, and JTucks will be transferring in a year just like all the others. Sour grapes, I know, but the way he handled his recruitment was BS, IMO, even for a kid. Let's hope Moyer and Brissett can handle the 3 for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Thorpe officially committed.

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Geno Thorpe, a graduate transfer from South Florida, has committed to Syracuse University. "It's official,'' Thorpe said in a telephone interview on Friday. "I'm going to do my fifth-year at Syracuse.'' Thorpe, a 6-foot-4 guard, ...

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2017/06/syracuse_basketball_gets_commitment_from_south_florida_grad_transfer_geno_thorpe.html

Well, there's our 2017 roster! Thorpe was a nice depth acquisition. Can play both guard portions, good shooter, tall and long. Good job by red and gmac here.

I'm concerned about the coming season, the depth, particularly up front is paper thin. Could be a mediocre season for Central NY fans.

I'm concerned about the coming season, the depth, particularly up front is paper thin. Could be a mediocre season for Central NY fans.

You better not be bringing down the Bonnies strength of schedule. Friday Dec. 22nd - Merry Christmas!