The "No Call" heard round the world - How to challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxrNZYJnJsE

It was 4th and long. The Falcons needed to get a first down to keep the final drive alive and get within field goal range. Ryan drops back and throws this ball to Julio Jones. Richard Sherman clearly interferes (I have seen much less get called for PI). This "no call" is an abomination or might just be the way refs look at the "Legion of Boom"...give them the benefit of the doubt because they are "physical".

Anyway, I was thinking how helpless a coach must be when the refs don't call a penalty like this because "no calls" are not reviewable.

However, I went a step further and thought about what IS reviewable:

Touchdowns

Sideline plays

A "catch"

Turnovers

Isn't a failed 4th and 18 really a "turnover" on downs?

If that's the case, that play should have been reviewable because it was a turnover. I would have demanded a review by the NFL right then and there to review the pass because it was a turnover on 4th and long resulting in turnover to the SeaHags. Then let the NFL official in the booth review the obvious interference and come back with a ruling that they should replay 4th down because Julio Jones was basically raped and there can be no turnover when a receivers arms are taken away from him. Falcons ball!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That play looked clean during regular game action, but was clear PI on the replay. The side judge who's behind the play running on the Falcons' sideline had a clear view of Sherman grabbing the arm and holding Jones down. The call is doubly insulting considering the flag the refs threw on DRC in the Giants/Ravens game.

It was 4th and long. The Falcons needed to get a first down to keep the final drive alive and get within field goal range. Ryan drops back and throws this ball to Julio Jones. Richard Sherman clearly interferes (I have seen much less get called for PI). This "no call" is an abomination or might just be the way refs look at the "Legion of Boom"...give them the benefit of the doubt because they are "physical".

Anyway, I was thinking how helpless a coach must be when the refs don't call a penalty like this because "no calls" are not reviewable.

Touchdowns

Sideline plays

A "catch"

Turnovers

If that's the case, that play should have been reviewable because it was a turnover. I would have demanded a review by the NFL right then and there to review the pass because it was a turnover on 4th and long resulting in turnover to the SeaHags. Then let the NFL official in the booth review the obvious interference and come back with a ruling that they should replay 4th down because Julio Jones was basically raped and there can be no turnover when a receivers arms are taken away from him. Falcons ball!!

Could you, yes. Will they, no. The problem with doing something like that is it makes the league look bad when the refs make obvious mistakes.

Even for the TD, sideline, catch, turnover. Refs screw these up all the time but are evidence based reviews and not judgement based calls. Yes you can say there is plenty of evidence in that video but no one in any profession wants to admit they are wrong even when they know they are. These guys would be having nightmares with the amount of times they would have to admit it.

Could you, yes. Will they, no. The problem with doing something like that is it makes the league look bad when the refs make obvious mistakes.

Even for the TD, sideline, catch, turnover. Refs screw these up all the time but are evidence based reviews and not judgement based calls. Yes you can say there is plenty of evidence in that video but no one in any profession wants to admit they are wrong even when they know they are. These guys would be having nightmares with the amount of times they would have to admit it.

If replay review is automatic on "turnovers", is this not a turnover (on downs)?

If replay review is automatic on "turnovers", is this not a turnover (on downs)?

Because the ball was taken away from the offense instead of given to the defense. I get what you're saying but think of this scenario: 4th and 1 and a run gets stuffed, are they going to review to be sure there were no hands to the face, offsides, illegal motions, etc.?

I'm not saying it wasn't PI but reviewing turnover on downs isn't the same as reviewing a turnover.

Edited by The Wiz

Sherman had his head around, looking at the ball, for quite a while, and it might have looked like he was competing for the ball. If the ref saw those things and not Jones' arm being held, I can see why there was no call on the field, particularly from behind the players.

The replay makes it clear there was interference, and what else is replay for if not to correct gross errors? The problem is that most PI calls are not so clear-cut. If PI calls and non-calls are allowed, there will be no end to the arguments, first whether or not there needs to be a review, and then about the call itself. I think the league just doesn't want to go there at all, and it's willing to accept the gross mistakes when they happen a few times a year. In this case the PI happened at the end of a close game, so the magnitude of the incorrect non-call is larger.

Too bad for Atlanta. They got robbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxrNZYJnJsE

Touchdowns

Sideline plays

A "catch"

Turnovers

That is a very good/creative thought! I like it. And NFL refs should be able to notice this during live-game action. he freaking grabs Julio's arm and twists him well before the ball is there.

That is a very good/creative thought! I like it. And NFL refs should be able to notice this during live-game action. he freaking grabs Julio's arm and twists him well before the ball is there.

he can tackle him before the ball gets there, doesn't matter. That call can not be overturned.

Hoodie wants to change it to two challenges per game...and anything can be challenged..even calls like holding etc. Then this call could be challenged

Penalties can't be challenged, one way or another. I read that the people reviewing the challenge system discussed this in the off season but decided that it would open up a giant can of worms if you could challenge them so they don't allow it.

I'd walk my team off the field for that ****

Didnt the Bills do that a few years ago? End of the game, terrible heartbreaking call, left the field and went to the locker room with something like 6 seconds left. Then they were forced to come back out and run the last kneel down. I think Marrone was the coach at the time.

As good a place as any for this piece.

Sunday brought a pair of highly disputed officiating decisions that had huge impacts in the fourth quarters of their respective games. Both were understandable in the realm of human imperfection, but they once again raised a case for allowing replay review to at least occasionally assist with judgment calls.

If they wanted to challenge all penalties, games would be six hours long. You could call holding on practically every play at the line. If they wanted to limit it to facemask, horsecollars, targeting and PI that might work.

Edited by Bubba Gump

That play looked clean during regular game action, but was clear PI on the replay.

I agree. I watched it real time it just looked like two guys fighting for the ball, but Sherman clearly grabbed JJ's arm. I have been saying for a long time that PI calls (and probably non-calls) should be subject to review. They have a huge impact on the game and are called incorrectly more often than not.

If they wanted to challenge all penalties, games would be six hours long. You could call holding on practically every play at the line. If they wanted to limit it to facemask, horsecollars, targeting and PI that might work.

Utter nonsense. Replays of PI could simply be made one of the categories of calls subject to coaches' challenge under the current system. And I believe it should be extended to roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness calls, as well.

Even on turnovers, penalty calls (or non-calls) are not reviewed, they only review things like knee down, out of bounds, etc....

It sucks when things like this happen, but opening up penalties to review might also suck.

I suppose that's my argument. The NFL allows replays on turnovers...this was a turnover (on downs) because they failed to make a first down. Review it (and then let the NFL look like a bunch of !@#$s because even after the review they would still say "It was an incomplete pass").

And I agree with Jimmy10 above (and referenced it in my OP)...we will be looking at this kind of gamesmanship when we play the SeaHags. Keep interfering with the WR's because they won't call PI on every play. Let's just hope it goes both ways.

I suppose if Richard Sherman can B word, yell and moan enough about the NFL, they will give him breaks.

I suppose that's my argument. The NFL allows replays on turnovers...this was a turnover (on downs) because they failed to make a first down. Review it (and then let the NFL look like a bunch of !@#$s because even after the review they would still say "It was an incomplete pass").

And I agree with Jimmy10 above (and referenced it in my OP)...we will be looking at this kind of gamesmanship when we play the SeaHags. Keep interfering with the WR's because they won't call PI on every play. Let's just hope it goes both ways.

I suppose if Richard Sherman can B word, yell and moan enough about the NFL, they will give him breaks.

But they don't review a penalty on a turnover. Let's say there's an interception on a play with a missed pass interference / defensive holding call. They don't review the missed penalty, only if the defender completed the catch in bounds.

Edited by Captain Caveman