What has become of Kolby Listenbee?

gjv001

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha - anyone who follows him on twitter knows he is dying to play. They are doing the right thing though waiting until next year.

I see a fair bit of his TL from retweets. Just like anyone else in his shoes, he'd rather make an impression than sit on the sidelines. This idea that players enjoy missing games/practice is stupid, it's competitive spirit that's got them this far.

For all the crap I give the team, they're playing it smart here. Temptation would be to rush him back and that would be short-sighted. I think he can be a good one eventually, just have to commit to being patient.

He is on PUP. Had surgery for a sports hernia in offseason and has been rehabbing at OBD. Most reports I've heard are that he will effectively redshirt this season.

Goodwin is a FA at end of season so I'd expect Listenbee to be their plan for replacing him.

Hernia repairs don't need specific rehab, let alone many months of it.

How would you know? Are you a sports doctor?

A what?

That's a vey nice long advertisement for this fellow's (who is not Dr. Andrews) surgical practice.

All under general anesthesia? All require drains? Crutches? Pool therapy? Reattaching the rectus to the pelvis??

If this guy is making a living doing this operation, he's likely operating on a large number of people who don't need an operation.

The guys who do this operation don't even agree what a sports hernia is: this guy claims its the rectus actually un-inserting from the pubis. Another says it's "a tear in the obliques" and they repair them in different ways. Others repair them laparoscopically with mesh, as if it was an actual hernia--which makes no physiological or anatomic sense at all, given what they claim is the anatomic injury.

A what?

That's a vey nice long advertisement for this fellow's (who is not Dr. Andrews) surgical practice.

All under general anesthesia? All require drains? Crutches? Pool therapy? Reattaching the rectus to the pelvis??

If this guy is making a living doing this operation, he's likely operating on a large number of people who don't need an operation.

The guys who do this operation don't even agree what a sports hernia is: this guy claims its the rectus actually un-inserting from the pubis. Another says it's "a tear in the obliques" and they repair them in different ways. Others repair them laparoscopically with mesh, as if it was an actual hernia--which makes no physiological or anatomic sense at all, given what they claim is the anatomic injury.

In other words you dont know wtf your talking about

A what?

Okay, I'll play along...first of all it is THE Dr. Andrews, did you bother to confirm your assertion by reading the bio provided in the link? Second of all Professor...if that is not enough to refute your ridiculous assertions, here is a link to a peer reviewed article from one of our nations best medical centers that examined the procedure and outcomes for sports hernia repair....https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3069511/

"Of the athletes who underwent surgery, 98% have returned to competition. All patients are followed until they return to the sport at preinjury status, which will take from 3 to 6 months."

In other words you dont know wtf your talking about

Lol, no I have no idea....

Okay, I'll play along...first of all it is THE Dr. Andrews, did you bother to confirm your assertion by reading the bio provided in the link? Second of all Professor...if that is not enough to refute your ridiculous assertions, here is a link to a peer reviewed article from one of our nations best medical centers that examined the procedure and outcomes for sports hernia repair....https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3069511/

"Of the athletes who underwent surgery, 98% have returned to competition. All patients are followed until they return to the sport at preinjury status, which will take from 3 to 6 months."

No, it's "Dr. Benton Emblom". His practice is in orthopedics, although he also apparently repairs "sports hernias" as well.. Not sure how you missed that--says so right on the video banner and he is introduced as such. Andrews is an Orthopedist who owns the company/practice Andrews Sports Medicine.

It's clear you did not read that article you cited. It highlights what I was getting at in my post regarding the fact that different surgeons are doing totally different operations and describing different etiologies for this injury. Some perform a standard laparoscopic hernia repair with mesh, which makes no sense. Some do an open repair with mesh, which is also dubious, given what they say is the cause of the pain in these patients. Mesh should have no impact because these patients have no actual hernia.

If you read the article and were really paying attention, you would have noticed that a major feature of these operations (and the reason they may work at all) is that they sever the sensory nerves to the groin that traverse the muscles of the groin. Presto, cut the nerves and pain is gone.

Also, you would have noticed that they cite a study which compared surgery to nonsurgical treatment. You may have wondered why the nonsurgical "physical therapy" arm of that study only got 4 weeks of treatment when the surgical arm got 3-6 months of rest/therapy. Strange comparison right? So an operation that cuts the sensory nerves and then gives the patient months off for any muscle "tear" to heal would likely work as well as "repairing a sports hernia".

Lol, no I have no idea....

No, it's "Dr. Benton Emblom". His practice is in orthopedics, although he also apparently repairs "sports hernias" as well.. Not sure how you missed that--says so right on the video banner and he is introduced as such. Andrews is an Orthopedist who owns the company/practice Andrews Sports Medicine.

It's clear you did not read that article you cited. It highlights what I was getting at in my post regarding the fact that different surgeons are doing totally different operations and describing different etiologies for this injury. Some perform a standard laparoscopic hernia repair with mesh, which makes no sense. Some do an open repair with mesh, which is also dubious, given what they say is the cause of the pain in these patients. Mesh should have no impact because these patients have no actual hernia.

If you read the article and were really paying attention, you would have noticed that a major feature of these operations (and the reason they may work at all) is that they sever the sensory nerves to the groin that traverse the muscles of the groin. Presto, cut the nerves and pain is gone.

Also, you would have noticed that they cite a study which compared surgery to nonsurgical treatment. You may have wondered why the nonsurgical "physical therapy" arm of that study only got 4 weeks of treatment when the surgical arm got 3-6 months of rest/therapy. Strange comparison right? So an operation that cuts the sensory nerves and then gives the patient months off for any muscle "tear" to heal would likely work as well as "repairing a sports hernia".

Bro pull down the tab that says "Physicians"...Look at the first name...wow.

I did read the article, it was describing various approaches and compared to what they do...my interest was in the outcome not the procedures. So your thesis is no surgery is better than surgery? ok, that's your opinion. It's wrong, but it's yours.

I did however stay at a holiday in once.....so of course I know better ln how to treat a double hernia to a nfl professional athlete who's whole game relies around his incredible speed.

Maybe I will just stay a fan and say that my opinion is Kolby is a stash pick for next year that was taken in the latter rounds of the draft.

Bro pull down the tab that says "Physicians"...Look at the first name...wow.

I did read the article, it was describing various approaches and compared to what they do...my interest was in the outcome not the procedures. So your thesis is no surgery is better than surgery? ok, that's your opinion. It's wrong, but it's yours.

Yes, that is Dr. James Andrews. We aren't discussing him. The guy in the video and the guy doing the sport hernias is someone else. That's who we are talking about.

Anyway, I think I've made clear what my "thesis" is. I was pointing out why even in the surgical community there is skepticism regarding the sports hernia as a surgical disease. The fact that people who treat this disease surgically can't agree on what they are treating and what they are doing to treat it helps fuel the skepticism. I was also pointing out (as would any editor reviewing that paper) comparing the surgically treated patients with those who did not have surgery has serious flaws. Both groups should have had the same amount and duration of treatment that the surgical group had after their operation. Given the same 6 months of rest and therapy, perhaps the nonsurgical group would have had similar results. That's al l'm saying.

You aren't arguing my points raised, just saying they are wrong. Not much further I can say about that.