WR Corps Needs A Boost

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, this year.

That really sucks. Whaley needs to go WR and Safety in rounds 1-3

Yes they do. A big boost. This offense was designed to be run first with an occasional big play in the passing game. Watkins provided that big play ability. Over the course of an entire season we're going to feel it.

Unfortunately, i dont think the solution will be found during the seasom from the outside. Powell, Goodwin, and woods are going to have to step up. And TT is going to have to build chemistry with them on the deep ball. Who knows about Hunter. I hope, but im objective.

We need a WR in the draft or in FA. Badly. Who knows if watkins will ever be the same.

I never thought about it but your right, that injury could really slow watkins down for good. Any word of him coming back this season? The team really needs him on the field, healthy.

Exactly. So you can't couple the issues Tyrod has and Rex's conservatism with no players that can even threaten to hurt a defense.

Seriously. Man if only Harvin coulda kept it together we would have a real playmaker on Offense and certified #1a WR.

I think Powell could be really successful and needs the chance to be on the field and needs to be targeted about 10 times a game.

Agree with you. Powell needs to get more game time reps because he had real sure hands in TC and PS, that guy can really go, he needs more targets to get more comfortable when live bullets are flying

You mean, something like this....

Wow that was horrible poor guy was totally :death: helmet to helmet. Did he really die? I hope not :cry:

Seriously tho, we should be using Goodwin on some bubble screens with Woods lined up next to him, a few good blocks here and there and he got the speed to take it for 6. Not sure why we havent done this yet.

Against better teams the lack of true offensive weapons will be an issue. Yes Shady is a legit stud out of the backfield and can be a factor in the passing game and Clay and Woods are solid weapons. But good defenses will stop or at least limit Shady and find a way to make the impact of Clay and Woods. As far as the options via free agency I don't see any better options than Justin Hunter (Maybe Roddy White but once again not much of a upgrade if any.)

As far as trade I think there are some legit options that will improve the team. Alshon Jeffery would be a legit number 1 receiver who would command attention from defenses and free up Clay and Woods. Problem is that Jeffery is a free agent after this season, has a big deal this year with his franchise tag deal (Which may be hard to do with the Bills cap situation), and he will likely cost a significant pick (I would say at least a 3rd rounder.)

The only cheaper option that wouldn't be a rental might be Golden Tate, he is signed to a bit of a more affordable deal and is signed to a longer term deal. He probably also probably might come at a lower cost draft pick wise. Andre Johnson would be the only one I would kick the tires on for a 7th rounder. Tate wouldn't be a stud number 1 receiver but he might be able to add another legitimate target on the outside. He is having a down year but he is still a good player who can provide just enough play making ability for the offense.

Bills are in a bit of a rock and a hard place. But I think their best options are either too costly or no effective enough.

"Bills are in a bit of a rock and a hard place. But I think their best options are either too costly or no effective enough. "

---This. Old slow receivers with big names and big price tags are being wisely avoided by Whaley. Woods needs to stop the drops and step up. Catch that slant route on Sunday and the game is over.

+1

Wanna boost the WR corps? Get a QB who can consistently find them and get them the ball.

Thanks for the input. Please see the previous posts.

I think Roddy White is worth a workout. He had a big falling out in Atlanta with the coaches. If he comes here, he'd be the number 1 WR in a hurry IMHO.

Mentioned this in the Sammy to return thread. Trade a 2nd or 3rd for Jarvis Landry, Miami and Gase blowing it up and may want to stockpile draft picks. You get a sure handed possession WR who can move chains and can ad lib with Taylor's mobility.

+1

Wanna boost the WR corps? Get a QB who can consistently find them and get them the ball.

Is he supposed to catch the ball for them too?

I'm fairly confident our front office will bring in anyone they think will help improve that position. I doubt they are sitting on their hands.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Thanks for the input. Please see the previous posts.

I think Roddy White is worth a workout. He had a big falling out in Atlanta with the coaches. If he comes here, he'd be the number 1 WR in a hurry IMHO.

If he comes to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and he's all outta bubblgum, I say GIT 'R' DUN!

That really sucks. Whaley needs to go WR and Safety in rounds 1-3

I never thought about it but your right, that injury could really slow watkins down for good. Any word of him coming back this season? The team really needs him on the field, healthy.

Seriously. Man if only Harvin coulda kept it together we would have a real playmaker on Offense and certified #1a WR.

Agree with you. Powell needs to get more game time reps because he had real sure hands in TC and PS, that guy can really go, he needs more targets to get more comfortable when live bullets are flying

Wow that was horrible poor guy was totally :death: helmet to helmet. Did he really die? I hope not :cry:

Seriously tho, we should be using Goodwin on some bubble screens with Woods lined up next to him, a few good blocks here and there and he got the speed to take it for 6. Not sure why we havent done this yet.

I think he would get killed. It wasn't "helmet to helmet", Goodwin lowers his head, and Joseph's helmet hits Goodwin's shoulder pad ABOVE his helmet. He is having a hard time staying healthy just being tackled by DB's. Give him the ball behind the line of scrimmage, and sooner or later he will get crushed by some bigger guys.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Would welcome a healthy Stevie J back here with open arms.

No. I don't need him blaming God (Pittsburgh), timing (Jets), getting excessive celebration penalties (Jets), or totally disclaiming any responsibility whatsoever for his terrible ball security (Atlanta in TO). That's just 4 games he cost us, I could probably dig up more.

Is he supposed to catch the ball for them too?

I'm fairly confident our front office will bring in anyone they think will help improve that position. I doubt they are sitting on their hands.

I think with the Justin Hunter signing it was obvious that the front office wasn't completely comfortable with who they had on the roster behind Sammy. I liked the Hunter signing he was the best free agent out there in my opinion but he isn't too much of a difference maker other than being a big body in the red zone.

I think via trade is the only avenue that would produce a receiver that would be an upgrade over Hunter. I am not sure the Jets or Fins would trade the Bills Marshall or Landry if they were in fire sale mode. Andre Johnson for a 7th rounder might be a interesting desperation move but once again not sure if he is better than Hunter. To me the Bills 2 best and most realistic options are Alshon Jeffery or Golden Tate.

Jeffery is the better player but is most likely a rental who comes at a high cost. Tate for a 5th rounder I would do in a heartbeat but not sure that would get it done. The reason I like Tate is not only is he cheaper (Both in terms of what draft pick you would have to give up and in terms of his cap number) but he is signed to a longer term deal which means that if Woods left via free agency Tate could fill his role as the #2 receiver once Sammy gets back. Jeffery would most likely be gone via free agency which means the team would have one less high draft pick and one more big hole to fill. Tate isn't as talented as Jeffery but Tate adds enough play making ability to the fold where adding him helps the offense out against better teams.

Edited by billsfan89

I think with the Justin Hunter signing it was obvious that the front office wasn't completely comfortable with who they had on the roster behind Sammy. I liked the Hunter signing he was the best free agent out there in my opinion but he isn't too much of a difference maker other than being a big body in the red zone.

I think via trade is the only avenue that would produce a receiver that would be an upgrade over Hunter. I am not sure the Jets or Fins would trade the Bills Marshall or Landry if they were in fire sale mode. Andre Johnson for a 7th rounder might be a interesting desperation move but once again not sure if he is better than Hunter. To me the Bills 2 best and most realistic options are Alshon Jeffery or Golden Tate.

Jeffery is the better player but is most likely a rental who comes at a high cost. Tate for a 5th rounder I would do in a heartbeat but not sure that would get it done. The reason I like Tate is not only is he cheaper (Both in terms of what draft pick you would have to give up and in terms of his cap number) but he is signed to a longer term deal which means that if Woods left via free agency Tate could fill his role as the #2 receiver once Sammy gets back. Jeffery would most likely be gone via free agency which means the team would have one less high draft pick and one more big hole to fill. Tate isn't as talented as Jeffery but Tate adds enough play making ability to the fold where adding him helps the offense out against better teams.

Football to me functions a lot differently because of the franchise tag, and the fact that there is no minor league. There isn't as many players in walk years to trade for - solid people get dropped in camp and at final cut downs. The development of players in the NFL seems to happen much quicker, so there is less of a trial period, and more of a trial by fire.

Jeffrey is a franchise tag candidate - so they probably wouldn't trade him.

Marshall is an affordable cap hit for 1 more year, with the injury to decker they're already thin at the position.

Landry has a 1.1 mil cap hit for 1 more year. Considering they will be after a QB they'll probably keep the weapon. And the price would be absurd.

Tate is tough because his cap hit for the next 2 years is actually kind of high.

There aren't a lot of upgrades out there. Rebuilds happen so fast that good cheap players don't get traded, and overpaid guys only get traded under new regimes.

Edited by dneveu