Pats* Punter: Main reason we didn't blow them out?

I haven't seen this discussed nor have I heard anybody talk about it.

Consider:

New England Punting
NO YDS AVG TB IN 20 LONG
Ryan Allen 6 313 52.2 0 2 58
That's 313 yards of field position...which is more yards than their entire offense had: 277

Add that to the fact that we:

1. Were obviously in a run-first game-plan

2. Never trailed

And, it's pretty easy to see why we didn't blow them out. 40 is a good average. 52.2 is ridiculous. Especially when you consider the # of 3 and outs they had. Our average drive start for the game was our own 23! That doesn't sound right, but it is. In fact, we had the same average drive start as the Pats. :wacko: When you include everything else: their punter made a huge difference. EDIT: 2 inside our 20 as well.

Thus, we had to drive the ball 75+ yards on average per drive, and we only had 9 drives all game. Lots of running(for the right reasons) + a punter w/ 52.2 average = no blow out.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I haven't seen this discussed nor have I heard anybody talk about it.

Consider:

New England Punting
NO YDS AVG TB IN 20 LONG
Ryan Allen 6 313 52.2 0 2 58
That's 313 yards of field position...which is more yards than their entire offense had: 277

Add that to the fact that we:

1. Were obviously in a run-first game-plan

2. Never trailed

And, it's pretty easy to see why we didn't blow them out. 40 is a good average. 52.2 is ridiculous. Especially when you consider the # of 3 and outs they had. Our average drive start for the game was our own 23! That doesn't sound right, but it is. In fact, we had the same average drive start as the Pats. :wacko: When you include everything else: their punter made a huge difference. EDIT: 2 inside our 20 as well.

Thus, we had to drive the ball 75+ yards on average per drive, and we only had 9 drives all game. Lots of running(for the right reasons) + a punter w/ 52.2 average = no blow out.

Usually they don't even activate a punter when playing the Bills...

The NFL Is in a Golden Age of Punting

For most fans, punting is boring. It’s just hard to muster excitement over a play that is a concession of failure. That said, Week 4 was the latest showing of what’s already been an amazing season for NFL punters.

Through four games, all 32 teams are averaging at least 40 yards per punt. That type of distance isn’t new (the 2014 Buccaneers were the last team not to hit that mark), but the consistency of the league’s best punters is. Five teams — the Giants, Saints, Panthers, Cowboys, and Raiders — are averaging at least 50 yards per punt. Only two hit that figure five years ago; going back 10 years, none did. And distance is only part of the equation.

Actual 40 yards per punt is the minimum right now... Robert Mays had a pretty good write up in his weekly recap on why we're in the golden age of punting https://theringer.com/nfl-week-4-recap-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-bd5e78da8daf#.ole7dt3xm

Actual 40 yards per punt is the minimum right now... Robert Mays had a pretty good write up in his weekly recap on why we're in the golden age of punting https://theringer.com/nfl-week-4-recap-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-bd5e78da8daf#.ole7dt3xm

From your article:

In Week 3, the Patriots’ Ryan Allen controlled a 27–0 shutout of the Texans by pinning Houston inside its own 20 on all of his seven punts.

Thus, I'd say that Allen is top of the league, and therefore, punting in general doesn't detract from my 2nd point: the Pats* punter kicked for more yards than their offense gained. If anything, you are reinforcing my main point, we didn't get a blowout, that many posters and callers expected, given how the game was going, because: punting.

To combine it all: Punting is way better than expected recently, so, we should all take that into account going forward. If punting continues to have this big of an effect on the game...perhaps it should be added to fantasy.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Thus, I'd say that Allen is top of the league, and therefore, punting in general doesn't detract from my 2nd point: the Pats* punter kicked for more yards than their offense gained. If anything, you are reinforcing my main point, we didn't get a blowout, that many posters and callers expected, given how the game was going, because: punting.

To combine it all: Punting is way better than expected recently, so, we should all take that into account going forward. If punting continues to have this big of an effect on the game...perhaps it should be added to fantasy.

Sorry, wasn't trying to detract from your point, I completely agree. Punting in general is becoming a huge part of the game and Allen in certainly one of the best in the league.

He was easily their best player on Sunday.

Hopefully they are headed toward a decade during which he is their MVP. I am embarrassed by memories of our great hope - Brian Moorman! Nothing against the fleet-footed punter...but you never want your punter to be your MVP.

that's the Pats #1 Punter, #1 Kicker, #1 QB, #1 TE. That may be enough to make them #1 again. If their defense continues to play at a high level and the O-Line can give Brady enough time, this is a tough team to beat. Game #2 we will have to play lights out on D and get a few breaks to win. We have to hit Brady hard and often.

Great reminder of when Brian Moorman was the best player on the Bills squad. It's great to have a very good punter but really sad when he is the highlight of the roster.

Hopefully they are headed toward a decade during which he is their MVP. I am embarrassed by memories of our great hope - Brian Moorman! Nothing against the fleet-footed punter...but you never want your punter to be your MVP.

No doubt gents.

From your article:

In Week 3, the Patriots’ Ryan Allen controlled a 27–0 shutout of the Texans by pinning Houston inside its own 20 on all of his seven punts.

Was there no room in your analysis for the fact that their offense was led by the rookie 3rd string QB in his second start? It was the punting, you say?

Don't forget the difference between gross punting yards and net punting yards. The latter takes into account punt return yards, touchbacks, etc.

A net average of 40 over an entire season has been the ultimate goal of most punters, up until the last couple of years. There have been several to achieve that recently, which is new.