Bills Offense Needs To Find Its Bread and Butter

PolishDave

On the John Murphy show this afternoon Ruben Brown and John Murphy were talking with Youngstown native Daryl "Moose" Johnston of Dallas fame. They were discussing offenses.

They got on the subject of offense simplicity. Darryl made the comment that during the Superbowl run that Dallas had, the Dallas Cowboys offense was pretty simple which ties in well with this thread and this other thread on here about whether simplifying an offense is a good idea or not.

They also talked about how a good offense has certain "Bread and Butter" plays. These are the plays that they run frequently (usually with success) in pretty much every game. And I remember this other thread recently where someone mentioned how during the 1990's the Bills had certain plays like that too that were very popular and very successful - "like Thurman Thomas running the draw play out of the Shotgun". I remember those days and I remember how predictable it was that the Bills were going to run it. You knew they were going to run it. The other team must have known it at least some of the time. And yet it was successful anyway.

That got me thinking - What are the bread and butter plays of this Bills football team?

And I can't think of any that this team runs on offense successfully with any consistency. If you don't have a core set of plays that you can run with confidence and at least moderate success, then how can you have any confidence of winning?

I would love to see this Bills offense develop some of those bread and butter plays that are at least moderately successful and learn to execute them with precision and predictability. I wonder how much this coaching staff has focused on doing that? I don't know. I just have the sense that this staff has spent a lot of time trying to draw up plays and game plans that somehow outsmart the other team rather than putting together plays that are more easily executed that this offense can rely on to help move the chains.

Thoughts?

It was Karlos Williams! -Unfortunately, he got the munchies, and ATE all the bread and butter he could find.

One of the bread and butter plays last year was a counter jet to the left side, usually ran by Karlos. It ended up as a TD or a big chunk of yards most of the time. Theyve tried it this year but its not working the same.

The only thing the Bills do well is the option with Taylor on the move. They make a lot of big plays and open up the offense when this happens, but they risk injury to TT. I say let the man play his game and live with the results.

If this still works, I say do it... Why try and save a QB for the end of a season when you lose trying to be conservative... Open this damn playbook up and at least make these losses exciting!

their supposed bread and butter play is that lame shotgun stretch run/option where they always hand it off leaving our running qb wide open for a nice gain that he took maybe twice last year and it worked but the other 200 times it went to the rb. When they run it it slowly develops and tells the defense which side were running to and surprise surprise they usually beat us to the point of attack and stop mccoy for 1 yard loss, unless he reverses field for a 5 yard loss.

Last year in miami McCoy ripped one for a td as the D there wasnt even trying and their coach was about to be fired, they turned the highlight into a story about the "genius" of Roman and his running scheme. It got us a td maybe 1 more time last year only because gilislee cut upfield sooner than designed and surprised the D.

Oh and our passing Bread and butter is for Tightwad to miss the guy wide open in the middle, escape the pocket to the outside (never inside) and throw a 60+ bomb to even up the score after several 3 and outs that all these rookie qbs seem to be able to convert with normal passing.

Has Watkins missed many games in his career? Looks like he has played in 31 of 34 games

He's also played some halves, which wouldn't be factored into that. I think the Watkins injury stuff is overstated, don't get me wrong, but I do wonder what % of his games did he appear on the injury report?

He's also played some halves, which wouldn't be factored into that. I think the Watkins injury stuff is overstated, don't get me wrong, but I do wonder what % of his games did he appear on the injury report?

Brady used to be on the injury report every game listed as probable with a sore shoulder...I get Watkins seems to be injured often but this team has bigger problems

Brady used to be on the injury report every game listed as probable with a sore shoulder...I get Watkins seems to be injured often but this team has bigger problems

The Pats* are known for manipulating the injury report, but I get what you're saying and I don't disagree. Really just a general curiosity.

their supposed bread and butter play is that lame shotgun stretch run/option where they always hand it off leaving our running qb wide open for a nice gain that he took maybe twice last year and it worked but the other 200 times it went to the rb. When they run it it slowly develops and tells the defense which side were running to and surprise surprise they usually beat us to the point of attack and stop mccoy for 1 yard loss, unless he reverses field for a 5 yard loss.

Last year in miami McCoy ripped one for a td as the D there wasnt even trying and their coach was about to be fired, they turned the highlight into a story about the "genius" of Roman and his running scheme. It got us a td maybe 1 more time last year only because gilislee cut upfield sooner than designed and surprised the D.

Oh and our passing Bread and butter is for Tightwad to miss the guy wide open in the middle, escape the pocket to the outside (never inside) and throw a 60+ bomb to even up the score after several 3 and outs that all these rookie qbs seem to be able to convert with normal passing.

I think that youre right here (aside from your horrible choice of tone/attempt at riling people up).

The run 'bread and butter' play is the jet sweep, where the RB makes one cut and goes. Karlos, JWill, Gilly do this well and it usually goes behind Richie. This hasnt worked well through 2 games.

The passing is the scramble & bomb. Definately not sustainable unless you consider Cutler sustainable.

They need Watkins and Clay on the 10-20yd routes. The offense doesnt work without those. It opens up the bomb and the running game.

I think that youre right here (aside from your horrible choice of tone/attempt at riling people up).

The run 'bread and butter' play is the jet sweep, where the RB makes one cut and goes. Karlos, JWill, Gilly do this well and it usually goes behind Richie. This hasnt worked well through 2 games.

The passing is the scramble & bomb. Definately not sustainable unless you consider Cutler sustainable.

They need Watkins and Clay on the 10-20yd routes. The offense doesnt work without those. It opens up the bomb and the running game.

The key to a shotgun read option is being able to read the right guy. If you can't get lined up quick and motion the tight end/receivers - you end up with a free backer containing TT every time. He has to hand off there.

Like if I'm suppose to read the linebacker, tt can motion clay over to block that guy, or shift the blocking to adjust. That way the defense is questioning more whether its a hand off or keeper or pass play.

Edited by dneveu