How is Watkins?

gjv001

@RQUINN619

For everyone on my TL calling @sammywatkins "soft" educate yourself on what he's actually dealing with

https://t.co/cmx21jjn7Y

maybe not soft, maybe just injury prone.

https://fansided.com/2014/09/04/buffalo-bills-sammy-watkins-developing-worrisome-injury-history/

this is a two-year-old article. where are we two years later? exactly where we thought we'd be.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@JoeBuscaglia

My full thoughts on the Sammy Watkins news, including this... did the #Bills mismanage the injury? All here: https://t.co/RUM1H9Amck

I'm not real critical of media takes.........but Buscaglia is meandering here.

Bottom line: Sammy probably needs a second surgery.

I have no issue with them playing him on Thursday night against the Jets if they were advised that it was just a pain tolerance issue.........if he's going to miss the season due to a second surgery......who cares?

Get a sledgehammer, re-break that f*cker and see you next year Sammy. :thumbsup:

The Bills are notorious for drafting dumb players and then putting them in a losing environment where players have no trust that management knows what they are doing and that is a bad combo.

Watkins should play another 10 years in the league.......hopefully this is his lesson about being more careful with his training regimen and he goes on to a great career.

It's too bad that he is a HOF talent and most of his first 3 seasons have fallen short of his potential but he has a long career ahead of him if he handles it correctly.

They lacked any foresight at all, which is sad considering many fans on this board screamed for them to bring in another WR opposite Sammy as insurance.

Yeah they were playing fill in the blanks all offseason instead of strengthening themselves.

They had the blanks filled with Boykin, Hankerson and Little........3 guys who got cut because they don't play football well.

I don't get how this happened - and then somehow it's announced late in the offseason that he had foot surgery. Was it hurt last year while he was producing like this?

Yep, that wimp was putting up some of the best numbers in the league while playing with a stress fracture in his foot.

Apparently not:

The coach said his understanding is that the issue was more about pain tolerance than the structural soundness of Watkins' foot, on which he underwent surgery after suffering a stress fracture at some point in during the offseason.

I'm not real critical of media takes.........but Buscaglia is meandering here.

Bottom line: Sammy probably needs a second surgery.

I have no issue with them playing him on Thursday night against the Jets if they were advised that it was just a pain tolerance issue.........if he's going to miss the season due to a second surgery......who cares?

Get a sledgehammer, re-break that f*cker and see you next year Sammy. :thumbsup:

The Bills are notorious for drafting dumb players and then putting them in a losing environment where players have no trust that management knows what they are doing and that is a bad combo.

Watkins should play another 10 years in the league.......hopefully this is his lesson about being more careful with his training regimen and he goes on to a great career.

It's too bad that he is a HOF talent and most of his first 3 seasons have fallen short of his potential but he has a long career ahead of him if he handles it correctly.

Yeah they were playing fill in the blanks all offseason instead of strengthening themselves.

They had the blanks filled with Boykin, Hankerson and Little........3 guys who got cut because they don't play football well.

I said it earlier in this thread, but what he really needs is to be treated neurologically to recondition is muscles. He won't have the training issue once the neurological side is remedied.

I said it earlier in this thread, but what he really needs is to be treated neurologically to recondition is muscles. He won't have the training issue once the neurological side is remedied.

You could be right........he has had one injury after the next since his last year at Clemson where he was playing thru a bad knee and it's possible he basically has himself out of alignment.

And things like more low impact conditioning, like swimming, for instance would probably be a good idea.

Watkins is not one of these ectomorph types like Jerry Rice or James Lofton who could run forever with perfect form and not impact their leg joints.

He is heavy on top and runs with violence and is a lot more explosive/powerful than he is smooth in his movements.........he is a greater candidate to put wear on his joints and bones so he needs to be more careful about exposing himself to needless pounding.

You could be right........he has had one injury after the next since his last year at Clemson where he was playing thru a bad knee and it's possible he basically has himself out of alignment.

And things like more low impact conditioning, like swimming, for instance would probably be a good idea.

Watkins is not one of these ectomorph types like Jerry Rice or James Lofton who could run forever with perfect form and not impact their leg joints.

He is heavy on top and runs with violence and is a lot more explosive/powerful than he is smooth in his movements.........he is a greater candidate to put wear on his joints and bones so he needs to be more careful about exposing himself to needless pounding.

We've seen a lot of it lately at our training facility--the explosive guys generate so much force, and the muscles need to be able to fire fast enough to cushion it. When the muscles don't contract fast enough, the forces get transferred to connective tissue and bone and injuries occur.

In response, the PTs and physio docs prescribe conditioning exercises that don't solve the problem. They strengthen the muscle, but nothing is done to fix the neurological condition of the muscle firing too slowly.

Many athletes (like Brandon Marshall, Dwight Freeney, and a few others) have turned to ARP Wave and other forms of electrostimulation to bridge the neurological gaps and re-establish correct firing patterns. It's amazing how quickly the pain goes away in those cases.

Hoping the Bills' medical staff gets on the train soon.

The only problem I have with Sammy and Rex talking about his status is that we should have kept it under wraps like NE. Now Bill* and Ernie******* have ample opportunity to focus on another threat offensively. If we had not informed them (like they are not informing us of their starting QB), we would have had an initial advantage. Even if such an advantage didn't last the first quarter, it would help in the short-term.

I see some posters making this argument, and I understand it. However, considering what Sammy did in his two games this season, I really doubt BB was losing sleep over facing him anyway. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5