Chad Kelly as a football player

Kirby Jackson

With the overwhelming amount of doom and gloom this morning I am seeing A LOT of "tank for Chad Kelly" people. I can only assume that the name "Kelly" and being from Buffalo is what is appealing to most of you? I strongly encourage you to watch him play before deciding that he is the franchise savior. He's not a 1st round guy IMO (let alone someone that you tank for). He is athletic, big arm, throws with good anticipation but makes a ton of mistakes. He doesn't value the football.

I figured that this would be a good thread to discuss his skills, not his name. What is it that you like/dislike about Chad Kelly. His name is going to come up a lot so we should familiarize ourselves with the player.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

With the overwhelming amount of doom and gloom this morning I am seeing A LOT of "tank for Chad Kelly" people. I can only assume that the name "Kelly" and being from Buffalo is what is appealing to most of you? I strongly encourage you to watch him play before deciding that he is the franchise savior. He's not a 1st round guy IMO (let alone someone that you tank for). He is athletic, big arm, throws with good anticipation but makes a ton of mistakes. He doesn't value the football.

I figured that this would be a good thread to discuss his skills, not his name. What is it that you like/dislike about Chad Kelly. His name is going to come up a lot so we should familiarize ourselves with the player.

I have watched pretty much all his games in last season and the first two this season. He is a bit careless with the ball at times but has all the tools and has a good feel in the pocket. His deep ball and touch are exactly like Jimbo's. He was absolutely torching FSU in the first half until FSU's talent took over. He had no time to throw in that second half and Ole Miss has no running game. I really think his game translates very well to the NFL and he will be a player.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Man...let us have some fun with it before the dark ominous clouds come in!

I challenge that he is not a first rounder...agreed not the most polished product but...Raw skills and Leadership intangibles off the charts.

Lot of time left in CFB before we anoint others ahead of him for the NFL.

Jay Cutler reborn.

We would have been to the playoffs probably 4x in the last 10 with him so....IN

He made a gorgeous throw in the FSU game for a TD. WR was well covered, Chad anticipated him coming open, threw ball well before that event occurred. The moment WR came open, ball hit him for a TD.

That takes a certain talent you can't coach. Tyrod does NOT seem to have it.

I liked that in Chad.

On many other throws, he floated long balls and BADLY under threw his receivers.

He seems very raw and inconsistent now, plus he's a known punk.

And this team already has a punk problem.

Edited by Fadingpain

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I would be all about drafting a QB in the first this year. It is a very good QB draft and if we ignore it ala Buddy Nix for those two years, the drought could easily go 20+ years. Watson, Kizer, Kaaya... Time to go QB in a good QB year, not paint yourself into a corner and announce to the world you have to go QB in the worst QB draft in years.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

He made a gorgeous throw in the FSU game for a TD. WR was well covered, Chad anticipated him coming open, threw ball well before that event occurred. The moment WR came open, ball hit him for a TD.

That takes a certain talent you can't coach. Tyrod does NOT seem to have it.

I liked that in Chad.

On many other throws, he floated long balls and BADLY under threw his receivers.

He seems very raw and inconsistent now, plus he's a known punk.

And this team already has a punk problem.

Huh?

I would be all about drafting a QB in the first this year. It is a very good QB draft and if we ignore it ala Buddy Nix for those two years, the drought could easily go 20+ years. Watson, Kizer, Kaaya, time to go QB in a good QB year, not paint yourself into a corner and announce to the world you have to go QB in the worst QB in years.

Well, if that was to happen. Might as well clean house in the FO. So the new guy(s) can pick who they want. And the team isn't caught trying to sell a new coach, etc. Whaley's pick and the likely high price he will pay for that QB. Because this is still a team that will win their fair share of games this year and will be far away from drafting top 3 or top 5. Where a lot of franchise QB's are taken. Since the Bills haven't developed a QB in decades. Cardelle Jones chances of moving into a franchise QB are slim. I would be happy if he can become a solid #2.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Well, if that was to happen. Might as well clean house in the FO. So the new guy(s) can pick who they want. And the team isn't caught trying to sell a new coach, etc. Whaley's pick and the likely high price he will pay for that QB. Because this is still a team that will win their fair share of games this year and will be far away from drafting top 3 or top 5. Where a lot of franchise QB's are taken. Since the Bills haven't developed a QB in decades. Cardelle Jones chances of moving into a franchise QB are slim. I would be happy if he can become a solid #2.

I don't know about that. I am usually not worried about the schedule but our's is brutal. If Sammy is out for an extended period of time, we could have a trouble winning 5 games this season. I do agree about cleaning house if that is the case though.

Don't be silly. He's a legacy. He'll be great, just like Marv Levy was as GM.

/s

Will he throw the ball down the field?

Depends, is Roman still here? I do not recall one play yesterday where the first read was down the field. I've asked the question like 3 times and no one has referenced a particular play. That could be because of Sammy's foot but why not use Goodwin? There is no reason to keep him otherwise.

I don't like that he is in the spread and is small.

I do like his arm and wheels.