8-8 or 7-9

Mikie2times

Most of this stuff I felt entering the year, reaffirmed today.

Taylor- Is capable of making plays no other QB in the league can make with his legs. Uses his legs to extend plays in the passing game and run. Great deep ball. Efficient on timing routes. Great head on his shoulders. This puts him in the 15-25 QB ranking range. Sadly, that is probably still the best we have seen since Bledsoe's first year. Notions of progression to the extent that he will throw players open, work the middle, deep middle, and can operate outside the previously mentioned positive traits just aren't coming. He's not bad, he's not Franchise. I don't want to pay him 15-20 million in 2017, maybe you do.

Shady- Excellent receiver, explosive, very talented. Not the right fit for this system. Romans offense requires a decisive one cut back that gets up field. Shady is the complete opposite of that. Dynamic player and we aren't as good without him based on the current roster, but would rather not take a 9 million dollar cap hit on him in 2017, maybe you do.

WR- Woefully depleted past Sammy. I don't think Taylor is a guy that is going to maximize 3 talented WR's anyway, but Sammy is all we have and by a pretty large margin. That isn't acceptable considering we knew it the second we lost Percy in 2015.

Rex- Good performance by the defense today. They didn't seem lost. Pressure got home. Rex was known as a guy capable of maximizing talent and we saw that today. I expect we will field a top 10 unit this year even with half the unit on the IR. Give him two corners like Darby and Gilmore and he will keep a lot of teams below 21 points. Players bought in, last year they didn't, that will be the difference. I don't know what any of this means for Rex past this season here, all I'm saying is I expect we will field a good defensive unit this year.

It seems like such a likely 8-8 or 7-9 squad......

8-8 or 7-9 feels too optimistic after today's putrid display. 13 points allowed on the road needs to be a win , every time. This offense doesn't seem to know the meaning of throwing the football downfield. Passing is something you do in between poorly blocked running plays . I can't see how this team wins more than 4 games .

8-8 or 7-9 feels too optimistic after today's putrid display. 13 points allowed on the road needs to be a win , every time. This offense doesn't seem to know the meaning of throwing the football downfield. Passing is something you do in between poorly blocked running plays . I can't see how this team wins more than 4 games .

It's the inverse of last year, that's what I expected entering the year and it was reaffirmed today. Still just one game, but hey, it's a internet forum...

I think most felt if the defense could get it together, which based on injuries and 2015 was not a common opinion, we would see some progression on offense and that was our most likely path.

I did not expect the offense to progress. Teams will do everything they can to make us drive the field this year. Without all those deep scores one of our better statistical offenses in 2015 since the start of the drought becomes a bottom 20-25 unit. On defense, last year was not about talent. It was about not buying into a system and the defense Rex runs requires 100% buy in. I expect we will get that this year and see the benefits. With that, even with so many scrubs, we will see a large improvement. If Rex has two shutdown corners he can do a lot with very little. We just won't be able to capitalize on defenses progression with poor offensive output.

Shake it all up and it't the same thing we have seen since the drought started. If we have one unit succeed, the other fails.

This^^^^^^^^^^

It's the inverse of last year, that's what I expected entering the year and it was reaffirmed today. Still just one game, but hey, it's a internet forum...

I think most felt if the defense could get it together, which based on injuries and 2015 was not a common opinion, we would see some progression on offense and that was our most likely path.

I did not expect the offense to progress. Teams will do everything they can to make us drive the field this year. Without all those deep scores one of our better statistical offenses in 2015 since the start of the drought becomes a bottom 20-25 unit. On defense, last year was not about talent. It was about not buying into a system and the defense Rex runs requires 100% buy in. I expect we will get that this year and see the benefits. With that, even with so many scrubs, we will see a large improvement. If Rex has two shutdown corners he can do a lot with very little. We just won't be able to capitalize on defenses progression with poor offensive output.

Shake it all up and it't the same thing we have seen since the drought started. If we have one unit succeed, the other fails.

they do seem to find a way, don't they?

1. Taylor- Is capable of making plays no other QB in the league can make with his legs. Uses his legs to extend plays in the passing game and run. Great deep ball. Efficient on timing routes. Great head on his shoulders. This puts him in the 15-25 QB ranking range. Sadly, that is probably still the best we have seen since Bledsoe's first year. Notions of progression to the extent that he will throw players open, work the middle, deep middle, and can operate outside the previously mentioned positive traits just aren't coming. He's not bad, he's not Franchise. I don't want to pay him 15-20 million in 2017, maybe you do.

2. Shady- Excellent receiver, explosive, very talented. Not the right fit for this system. Romans offense requires a decisive one cut back that gets up field. Shady is the complete opposite of that. Dynamic player and we aren't as good without him based on the current roster, but would rather not take a 9 million dollar cap hit on him in 2017, maybe you do.

3. WR- Woefully depleted past Sammy. I don't think Taylor is a guy that is going to maximize 3 talented WR's anyway, but Sammy is all we have and by a pretty large margin. That isn't acceptable considering we knew it the second we lost Percy in 2015.

4. It seems like such a likely 8-8 or 7-9 squad......

1. Taylor - yep. I seem to remember another very athletic QB who played in Roman's offense.* Started great, making exceptional use of his athleticism, but then his lack of progress in standard QB skills -- making reads/progressions, etc. -- caused him to fall off a cliff. Tyrod can make things happen outside the pocket. He can be a successful/unorthodox running QB. He may get hurt doing that, but that's a chance you've got to take because as a pocket passer, well, he's best suited as Joe Flacco's backup.

* Last spotted "taking a knee" during the National Anthem at a stadium near you.

2. McCoy - yep again. Roman seems to think he's the every down back he needs in this offense. That back, unfortunately, was a Frank Gore type - always moving forward, always finding holes, always grinding out yards. McCoy is perfect for the role currently filled by the aging imposter wearing a "Reggie Bush" uniform. McCoy can still make exciting plays, but a reliable yardage eater he's not.

3. WR - well, thank goodness Rex kept Goodwin so he could "stretch the field." I think folks spotted him out there for a couple plays. The field was not noticeably stretched. In fact, we seemed to be playing on an extraordinarily cramped field on offense the entire game. If you're gonna keep him, at least try to use him. I still think they needed a big/physical receiver.

4. Rex - hey, the Rex 'n' Rob show looked good! (On defense.) Of course, the Ravens O line played like it was the first game of preseason. I'm wondering how well this group of castoffs on the front 7 (not counting Kyle and Jerry) will hold up against better offenses.

I'd say 7-9 is optimistic after that fiasco.

I said 7-9 before the season, and after losing a close game on the road to another mediocre team, I think that's about right ...

1. Taylor - yep. I seem to remember another very athletic QB who played in Roman's offense.* Started great, making exceptional use of his athleticism, but then his lack of progress in standard QB skills -- making reads/progressions, etc. -- caused him to fall off a cliff. Tyrod can make things happen outside the pocket. He can be a successful/unorthodox running QB. He may get hurt doing that, but that's a chance you've got to take because as a pocket passer, well, he's best suited as Joe Flacco's backup.

* Last spotted "taking a knee" during the National Anthem at a stadium near you.

2. McCoy - yep again. Roman seems to think he's the every down back he needs in this offense. That back, unfortunately, was a Frank Gore type - always moving forward, always finding holes, always grinding out yards. McCoy is perfect for the role currently filled by the aging imposter wearing a "Reggie Bush" uniform. McCoy can still make exciting plays, but a reliable yardage eater he's not.

3. WR - well, thank goodness Rex kept Goodwin so he could "stretch the field." I think folks spotted him out there for a couple plays. The field was not noticeably stretched. In fact, we seemed to be playing on an extraordinarily cramped field on offense the entire game. If you're gonna keep him, at least try to use him. I still think they needed a big/physical receiver.

4. Rex - hey, the Rex 'n' Rob show looked good! (On defense.) Of course, the Ravens O line played like it was the first game of preseason. I'm wondering how well this group of castoffs on the front 7 (not counting Kyle and Jerry) will hold up against better offenses.

I said 7-9 before the season, and after losing a close game on the road to another mediocre team, I think that's about right ...

Good post, I have actually made numerous Kap/Taylor threads just based on the similarities on the stat sheet, OC, and athleticism. It would appear Romans offense is very well versed in QB efficiency which doesn't necessarily convert to production. Not to say it's just a plug and play athletic QB system. Kap/Taylor are unique talents. Taylor even more so. Taylor is more refined than Kap. Way better head on his shoulders and better deep ball. But when a guy like Kaps first few years mirror Tyrod as far as production and efficiency measures, it makes you wonder if you should give Tyrod 20 million and the keys to the franchise for the next 5-10 years like the 49ers did with Kap.

Most of this stuff I felt entering the year, reaffirmed today.

Taylor- Is capable of making plays no other QB in the league can make with his legs. Uses his legs to extend plays in the passing game and run. Great deep ball. Efficient on timing routes. Great head on his shoulders. This puts him in the 15-25 QB ranking range. Sadly, that is probably still the best we have seen since Bledsoe's first year. Notions of progression to the extent that he will throw players open, work the middle, deep middle, and can operate outside the previously mentioned positive traits just aren't coming. He's not bad, he's not Franchise. I don't want to pay him 15-20 million in 2017, maybe you do.

Shady- Excellent receiver, explosive, very talented. Not the right fit for this system. Romans offense requires a decisive one cut back that gets up field. Shady is the complete opposite of that. Dynamic player and we aren't as good without him based on the current roster, but would rather not take a 9 million dollar cap hit on him in 2017, maybe you do.

WR- Woefully depleted past Sammy. I don't think Taylor is a guy that is going to maximize 3 talented WR's anyway, but Sammy is all we have and by a pretty large margin. That isn't acceptable considering we knew it the second we lost Percy in 2015.

Rex- Good performance by the defense today. They didn't seem lost. Pressure got home. Rex was known as a guy capable of maximizing talent and we saw that today. I expect we will field a top 10 unit this year even with half the unit on the IR. Give him two corners like Darby and Gilmore and he will keep a lot of teams below 21 points. Players bought in, last year they didn't, that will be the difference. I don't know what any of this means for Rex past this season here, all I'm saying is I expect we will field a good defensive unit this year.

It seems like such a likely 8-8 or 7-9 squad......

your being generous