A look at Aaron Williams and the concussion protocol

Let me just state this very quickly, for the purposes of clarification. Robyn doesn't have any inside information but she's well educated in the medical world. She's also done some extensive research into the NFL's concussion protocol. This isn't intended to create a state of panic, just an insight into what's at play with Aaron at the moment. I hope you can learn something from this piece.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/04/aaron-williams-buffalo-bills-concussion/

Edited by Blokestradamus

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little concerning that AW began concussion protocol before Gillislee and Goodwin with them now being cleared.

Concussion recovery is individual. I don't know if Williams had previous concussions, and what his recovery from them was like? Anyone? if he has, and this is a longer recovery, that's not good.

It is known that in addition to individual factors, what the concussed person does is also a huge factor. It has been shown that initial mental activity and any use of computer, LCD, or TV screens can DOUBLE recovery time.

In this day and age, it's hard advice to give and adhere to - "What, don't work out, don't play football, AND don't watch TV, play video games, even view my playbook on my ipad? You're kidding, right?"

I didn't see the collision, but from what I heard, the fact that it occurred at all is a bit concerning. It seemed as though Williams just didn't have enough "game awareness"

Aaron, put Aaron ahead of football please!

I really don't have a good feeling about Williams continuing to play.

Concussion recovery is individual. I don't know if Williams had previous concussions, and what his recovery from them was like? Anyone? if he has, and this is a longer recovery, that's not good.

It is known that in addition to individual factors, what the concussed person does is also a huge factor. It has been shown that initial mental activity and any use of computer, LCD, or TV screens can DOUBLE recovery time.

In this day and age, it's hard advice to give and adhere to - "What, don't work out, don't play football, AND don't watch TV, play video games, even view my playbook on my ipad? You're kidding, right?"

I didn't see the collision, but from what I heard, the fact that it occurred at all is a bit concerning. It seemed as though Williams just didn't have enough "game awareness"

Of course it is. The point I was making is that his must have been more serious to put his participation in game action any time soon in jeopardy.

I remember reading about how much karlos williams struggled with the protocol last year and the set backs he had.

I like Aaron Williams as a person and as a bill. I hope he takes care of himself and his future. Head and neck injuries are nothing to mess with.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Of course it is. The point I was making is that his must have been more serious to put his participation in game action any time soon in jeopardy.

Yes, I understand. My point is that longer recovery isn't necessarily an indicator of "more serious concussion"

It can be an indicator of "individual who simply takes longer to recover" or "individual who isn't very good about following initial recovery instructions to abstain from mental activity or using electronics, especially initially".

Yes, I understand. My point is that longer recovery isn't necessarily an indicator of "more serious concussion"

It can be an indicator of "individual who simply takes longer to recover" or "individual who isn't very good about following initial recovery instructions to abstain from mental activity or using electronics, especially initially".

It could mean lots of things, but w/o being close to the situation we're just guessing.

Huh? The collision occurred as two separate practice plays became intertwined. You're expecting Williams to be "aware" of something he shouldn't have anticipated?

Hell, I'd rather blame Rex for this than say Aaron lacked awareness.

And Pediatrics last year published an article that showed no difference between kids who rested for longer and shorter periods as far as resolution of symptoms.

The "mental activity" study you cite has the same significant (essentially fatal) flaws all of these studies have--they rely solely on self reported data from patients (and children, no less) regarding their levels of mental and physical activity to make their conclusions. It should be no surprise that these nonscientific methods yield completely contradictory conclusions.

AW's inability to be cleared is not the result of watching TV or his iPad. He's damaged goods and someone should properly and honestly counsel this guy about retiring while he's functional.

its his first concussion. The collision didn't occur in a game. It was in a practice drill.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/08/11/day-11-bills-training-camp-observations-aaron-williams-suffers-possible-concussion-scary-collision/

I agree that each one is unique. We can speculate here but I don't take any significant meaning from the other two being cleared before he is. He could be ready week 1 but if not he could be ready week 2. Concussion protocol is now the new normal in the NFL. Luke Keuchly and Joe Haden were both in it for what seemed like forever last season.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think Aaron probably should sit out this season and give his neck and head a real chance to heal because it sounds like one more good hit and this kid could be in real trouble so I hope the bills do the right thing in all indications looks like they may be

I think Aaron probably should sit out this season and give his neck and head a real chance to heal because it sounds like one more good hit and this kid could be in real trouble so I hope the bills do the right thing in all indications looks like they may be

his neck is healed. Anyone can be injured or re-injured on any play but he's cleared. Giving it additional time will not make a difference. The concussion is separate but that is what the protocol is for. No reason to sit out the year for a concussion unless he just wants to retire or he never gets out of protocol. I get the concern for Aaron but that's what the doctors are for (cue the hate for the medical staff) Edited by YoloinOhio