A look at Aaron Williams and the concussion protocol

Yes, I understand. My point is that longer recovery isn't necessarily an indicator of "more serious concussion"

It can be an indicator of "individual who simply takes longer to recover" or "individual who isn't very good about following initial recovery instructions to abstain from mental activity or using electronics, especially initially".

Like one with impulse control as shown in games last year? Things which can be aggravated by head injuries as theorized (not proved) by doctors as caused by concussions resulting in CTE (which is not a condition but a state of readings)? Aaron was hesitant to play football after neck injury and this may be contributing to his recovery. Time for Aaron to go on PUP list and determine next year if he can play.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could mean lots of things, but w/o being close to the situation we're just guessing.

Yes, exactly, that's my point - when you say it's concerning and may mean it's more serious because he went into concussion protocol before Goodwin and Gillislee and is still there while they're cleared, you're speculating, because there are other possible explanations including individual differences in healing, the exact details of the concussion protocol being used, and patient compliance.

And Pediatrics last year published an article that showed no difference between kids who rested for longer and shorter periods as far as resolution of symptoms.

The "mental activity" study you cite has the same significant (essentially fatal) flaws all of these studies have--they rely solely on self reported data from patients (and children, no less) regarding their levels of mental and physical activity to make their conclusions. It should be no surprise that these nonscientific methods yield completely contradictory conclusions.

AW's inability to be cleared is not the result of watching TV or his iPad. He's damaged goods and someone should properly and honestly counsel this guy about retiring while he's functional.

Wow, sounds like you know him well, have inside info, and are really on top of the situation! (somehow, I Think Not).

I assume this is the Pediatrics study you're talking about, which doesn't seem to address the electronics question at all - it's not clear from a read what instructions in that regard were in either group, just comparing 1-2 days "rest" with 5 days.

To say relying on self-reported data is a "fatal flaw" is essentially to blow off a lot of concussion research, since the essence of many concussion symptoms is that they are self-reported eg: dizziness, headache, difficulty concentrating etc etc.

Edited by Hopeful

And Pediatrics last year published an article that showed no difference between kids who rested for longer and shorter periods as far as resolution of symptoms.

The "mental activity" study you cite has the same significant (essentially fatal) flaws all of these studies have--they rely solely on self reported data from patients (and children, no less) regarding their levels of mental and physical activity to make their conclusions. It should be no surprise that these nonscientific methods yield completely contradictory conclusions.

AW's inability to be cleared is not the result of watching TV or his iPad. He's damaged goods and someone should properly and honestly counsel this guy about retiring while he's functional.

Weo - I agree. It's been a few years, but I was in the Neuro Interventional Radiology business (the brain doctors) and you are right on counsel. I loved watching AW convert from an ok CB, to a very impactful Safety. I hope he's invested well so he can take some time off, get healthy and decide his next career. If he makes the decision to come back, I see that as a mistake, but if so, we cannot count on him.

He needs to think more of his family now, and not falling to the significant problems so many others have faced. I don't want to read an article on this board someday of a story like my favorite Bills LB, Talley. He had the heart of a lion, and is paying for it.

Yes, exactly, that's my point - when you say it's concerning and may mean it's more serious because he went into concussion protocol before Goodwin and Gillislee and is still there while they're cleared, you're speculating, because there are other possible explanations including individual differences in healing, the exact details of the concussion protocol being used, and patient compliance.

Wow, sounds like you know him well, have inside info, and are really on top of the situation! (somehow, I Think Not).

I assume this is the Pediatrics study you're talking about, which doesn't seem to address the electronics question at all - it's not clear from a read what instructions in that regard were in either group, just comparing 1-2 days "rest" with 5 days.

To say relying on self-reported data is a "fatal flaw" is essentially to blow off a lot of concussion research, since the essence of many concussion symptoms is that they are self-reported eg: dizziness, headache, difficulty concentrating etc etc.

What inside info did I need to write that post? Your cited article is a very weak endorsement that video games and TV have affected his (or anyone's) recovery. I was just pointing that out. They article I referenced has the same weaknesses as yours. Hence there are no real recommendations or conclusions to be drawn.

Pointing out the inherent weakness of self reported patient data as the sole basis of research is hardly a novel approach unique to m--and it does not equate to "blowing off a lot of research". It is a common point of discussion in these journals...in the invited discussion sections and an at every meeting where they are presented.

What inside info did I need to write that post? Y

"AW's inability to be cleared is not the result of watching TV or his iPad. He's damaged goods and someone should properly and honestly counsel this guy about retiring while he's functional."

You apparently know what he's doing (or not doing), know more about his health status than the team physicians, and know what counsel he has or has not received.

Baloney.

He needs to think more of his family now, and not falling to the significant problems so many others have faced. I don't want to read an article on this board someday of a story like my favorite Bills LB, Talley. He had the heart of a lion, and is paying for it.

Talley was my favorite Bill of that era.

The thing is Machine Gun, I think you could easily read an article on this board someday about any of our hard-going players: Kyle Williams, Darius, Gilmore etc

I do agree that if he comes back he can't be counted upon to stay healthy, which one has to think is part of the Bills decision to keep 6 safeties on the roster

Edited by Hopeful

@JoeBuscaglia

Seantrel Henderson, Gillislee, Aaron Williams, Goodwin, Robey-Coleman and Cordy Glenn will all practice in full today. #Bills

@ChrisBrownBills

Aaron Williams will also be a full participant in practice today. Out of concussion protocol. #Bills

Well... That's fantastic!!! I hope all those who claimed negative things about his future playing style are incorrect