Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Got it. BTW, Thank You for your service.

There has often been an intersection of sports, politics, and social change movements so this is nothing new.

No thanks necessary, but thank you, It was an honor and I was fortunate to come home safely. Unfortunately, many Vets do not and I happen to know several that were KIA or wounded physically and mentally, which is why this is is a little emotional for me. Boards like this prove however why this is such an amazing country. We can all state our feelings freely unlike the countries I mentioned in my previous post.

No thanks necessary, but thank you, It was an honor and I was fortunate to come home safely. Unfortunately, many Vets do not and I happen to know several that were KIA or wounded physically and mentally, which is why this is is a little emotional for me. Boards like this prove however why this is such an amazing country. We can all state our feelings freely unlike the countries I mentioned in my previous post.

Something we all need to be aware of. I personally respect the bravery and sacrifice of soldiers, but do not support every campaign as a just cause.

Huh? Why? Do vegans codemn themselves on a daily basis because their ancestors ate meat?

Sorry, but WEO is right. The guy is a piece of crap who's just kicking and screaming while his career circles the bowl. Next step will be the big locker room meltdown when a reporter asks the wrong question. Who really cares?

Condemn our history in what was admittedly poor judgement in the ideas of the founding fathers is what I meant. There is no harm in admitting one was wrong, but one must more forward at some point. All countries have made poor decisions in the past. The fact that people think this country was only founded on the backs of slaves (mentioned by another poster) and the white folk just kicked back and relaxed is hilarious though. Yes some white folk did. Most didn't. This country was built on the backs of all of it's citizens and continues to be.

See the nyt article i posted above about the distortions of blm.

BLM is the one doing this type stuff:

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/National-Black-Lives-Matter-organization-says-it-does-not-support-First-Step-Barbecue-387989542.html

So yes, people are going to criticize them. The fact that you can't criticize a social movement because they cause more hate and divisiveness without being called a racist is part of the problem.

BLM is like those bad charities you hear about that do nothing to serve their cause. You don't see criticism of those other movements because they are actually doing something. BLM has nothing on them or to do with them.

Edited by What a Tuel

Expecting a spokesperson from an aggrieved minority to be a member of that minority's lumpenproletariat as opposed to someone who obtained the resources to actually attract an audience generally flies in the face of history. After all, Alexander Hamilton :) had done pretty well for himself by the time he rebelled against the ruling govt.

To be sure, i know we're talking about kaep, who isn't especially bright.

He had over a 4.0 average in high school. Was a good student athlete at Neveda (don't know his GPA) and scored a 38 on Wonderlic.

shrug. if you say so. you seem to have all the answers, so deal with this francis.

jw

I figured.

Ok, how about this one: was Kaep's mother, a destitute white woman, also a "lottery winner" by virtue of her race, compared to her son?

Edited by Mr. WEO

I figured.

Ok, how about this one: was Kaep's mother, a destitute white woman, also a "lottery winner" by virtue of her race, compared to her son?

Arguably, Kaep's biological mother deserved to be destitute. Shame on her for being born white. She had to pay.

love these trick questions. let's cut to the chase and have you provide me the answer that best reflects your pov.

jw

You keep asking me to defend your assertions. A strange play, but I will defer.

It's a simple question, really. Point to the elephant in the room.

Arguably, Kaep's biological mother deserved to be destitute. Shame on her for being born white. She had to pay.

She squandered her lottery winnings.

i swear. i'm laughing at the corner WEO has painted himself in.

jw

Thanks for punting, Mr. Jauron.

jw

Can you believe that a young woman having a child out of wedlock with an absentee father with no financial means struggled as a white person?

He had over a 4.0 average in high school. Was a good student athlete at Neveda (don't know his GPA) and scored a 38 on Wonderlic.

He also thought it wise to wear dolphins gear. His assessment of appropriate public actions is a little dicey...

That out of the way, I haven't read the full thread so I'm not sure what I'm stepping into here... but I've seen a whole lot of racial slurs tossed his way on Twitter etc.... There's a certain irony in someone telling him that he can't talk about discrimination because he has a high salary while also calling him all kinds of derogatory, hateful, slurs based on his skin color.

Some interesting and rather ironic history about Francis Scott Key that I never knew about: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/wheres-debate-francis-scott-keys-slave-holding-legacy-180959550/?no-ist

Cq47ei8XYAAxs6o.jpg

:beer: Good stuff.

Seriously, what is the issue? The entire basis of this country is rooted in the freedoms of being able to say and express your beliefs. And those rights were established because the founders of our country were oppressed from their own country and felt we should always be allowed to speak out against our government and speak up for what we believe as citizens of this country. Those upset by his display clearly don't understand the very foundations of what this country was built on. They should be applauding this kid because not enough public people like him take a public stand for what they believe in.

And besides, in this era how can anyone dispute or argue that the African American culture has not had a fair shake in this country not only in our past but still in our present? I don't blame him for making a symbolic gesture that means something to him. I saw a caucasion speaker a couple weeks ago at an event I was at talk about the divide between minorities and caucasians in this country, and it was astonishing. We already know about the appalling prejudice in our legal systems, however, he wanted to see the success rates. So he studied all kinds of things related to success. For instance, he looked at how often they become millionaires with Post Graduate Degrees, College Degrees, High School Diplomas, and No Diplomas. The closest they ever got was Caucasians succeeding to reach those levels at 10 times more frequency than Hispanics and African Americans, and that was with Post Graduate Degrees. The other levels the difference void grew massively from 40 times less likely to almost 100 times less likely for those minorities compared to Caucasians. And these numbers were not based on illegal immigrants, these were all based on American born citizens.

This is just one example of about 30 different comparisons in many success studies where they were on equal footing where the lopsided difference was astonishing. The point is, there is mountains and mountains of statistical evidence about the lack of balance on so many levels between both the hispanic and African American communities compared to white americans.

Now add in that hysteria that the Trump campaign has created in racial divide, the alarming number of unnecessary deaths at the hands of law enforcement caught on tape, etc etc...and its not hard to understand how a young African American can feel that his community, his family, his friends, his heritage, etc are not getting a fair shake. So why should anyone be offended that he feels there needs to be change across this country (which there absolutely does) and made a symbolic gesture about it? A LOT has happened since the last time he was on a football field.

The things that frustrates me the most about all these hardcore "Americans" who get upset about this...they seem to forget the history of this country is VIOLENT...this country was built on the largest genocide in history of wiping out all the natives to this land. This country was then built on the backs of Asian and African American slaves. This country then fought itself in a civil war over the right to keep having slaves or not. This country is the only country in the world to ever use an Atomic Weapon...and we did it TWICE. This country still has a racist under belly present in both our communities and judicial systems. We may be the "greatest country" on Earth, but our hands are not free of blood...our closets aren't free of Skeletons...our Government and Judicial systems are not free of corruption...our citizens aren't free from injustices. But what we are free of, is the restriction of speech and expression...yet this kid is getting slammed unjustly for expressing his disappointment on how his people still face challenges in this country that others don't.

:beer:

My only point is that our flag and our precepts allow us to express ourselves and evolve. I think we've done that and will continue (and need to) to do so. Colin or anyone else) who disparages the flag misses the point IMO.

I would say that anyone who believes the flag is anything more than a symbol is missing the point. America isn't a flag, it isn't even a country. It's an idea. That's what makes it simultaneously great and yet fragile. It's an idea that freedom is our natural state, that the government and system should serve the people not the other way around.

The only way that works is if the people are free to express their views, especially views which threaten or undermine the government itself.

I figured.

For me personally I feel like I have it easier than the black version of myself as I reflect on my life using honesty and logic in imaginative hindsight.

i swear. i'm laughing at the corner WEO has painted himself in.

jw

Thanks for punting, Mr. Jauron.

jw

Corner? "Trick" question?

Come on jw, follow through on your white lottery claim. You should have wrapped me up 3 posts ago.

Was Kaep's mother a bigger "lottery" winner than the son who now denounces his black American killing country?

Edited by Mr. WEO

He also thought it wise to wear dolphins gear. His assessment of appropriate public actions is a little dicey...

That out of the way, I haven't read the full thread so I'm not sure what I'm stepping into here... but I've seen a whole lot of racial slurs tossed his way on Twitter etc.... There's a certain irony in someone telling him that he can't talk about discrimination because he has a high salary while also calling him all kinds of derogatory, hateful, slurs based on his skin color.

The only excuse these players have is Twitter. The only folks who are stupid or bored enough to harass athletes on Twitter are either racists or trolls. Both probably paint an unrealistic picture of the world at large.

Case in point, when a black athlete screws up, they will get anywhere from 50 to 100 negative tweets and conservatively about a third to a half of those will be racial. What does that tell the athlete? Up to 50% of the folks they interact with are racist. And voila, racists are "everywhere," while 99% of the population doesn't involve themselves in Twitter trash talking.

Corner? "Trick" question?

Come on jw, follow through on your white lottery claim. You should have wrapped me up 3 posts ago.

Was Kaep's mother a bigger "lottery" winner than the son who now denounces his black American killing country?

She was poor and a woman. She won $1 on a $2 scratch card.