Any tire experts?

shrader

Last year I had my tires replaced at the local Hyundai dealership (yes, I know doing this at the dealership is dumb). I wound up with a nail in the tire in January and got it patched. Fast forward to this week and the patch is failing. So I took it into a tire place today for a replacement, only to find out that the dealer put four tire on my car that were below the required specs. The load index on these tires is too low so the tire place would not sell me one or two replacements, which I fully understand.

So I need to head into that Hyundai dealership tomorrow and put up a fight to have them all replaced. Do I stand a chance here with this? From what Ive been reading, their screwup actually opens them up to liability issues. They never told me a thing about any of this, not that even that would excuse them.

IF you live near Costco, go there, and forget the dealership. You screwed up, why put yourself through any more?

That's actually where I went today. I'll be buying from them if I can't get the dealership to replace them. But I have no idea how a Hyundai dealership can put improper tires on a Hyundai car. I think they're going to have to take care of me. I e got all the paperwork from the sale to prove that they did in fact put these tires on my car.

I would say that a tire shop might know the real size and specs for the tires that you use. But the dealership willowy likely win that battle because it's probably what's recommended by the manufacturer. Certain dealers/manufacturers only use certain brands of tires mainly because they get a kickback but also because that's what's used on the vehicle for testing and all that sort of thing.

You may have an argument but they could get out of it by stating they use manufacturer recommended tires only and it'll probably destroy your argument.

Good luck with it

Huh? Say again... The tire place knows the specs better than the dealer and or manufacturer? Stay away from a Hyundai then! RUN FROM THAT DEALER!

What brand are the tires?

Why in the heck is a patch "failing"... You sure this tire place is reputable? Did they place said patch? Tire places are overly cautious, I understand. They tell you never plug a tire... But I plug them all the time and never had one fail in 30 years of doing them myself. I actually carry plug out in car and plug the damn thing with tire still on. I never run them bald. Never had a failure.

Where was the patch? Close to sidewall?

Did you check the actual specs from Hyundai? Do specs jive with what the tire shop says? Maybe tire shop is shady and wants to sell you four new tires? That wouldn't be a shock! :-/

Last question... Is it all wheel drive (AWD)?

I looked up the required specs and the specs of the tires on the car. They are too low. If I can google the required tire specs (I'm told they're also displayed on the car somewhere), there's no way they should be able to screw that up. They are the same brand that has been on the car since the day I bought it, kumho.

As for the patch/plug, failing is my own word here. It has a slow leak. As it turns out, the place that did it (a local mechanic shop) did it in that no go zone on the tire. I'd imagine that the crazy heat we've had down here doesn't help. That's not really important here though as the real issue came before them.

I was at Costco for the tires yesterday and everything they said matches up. I've got the original paper work on the tires and they are definitely below the specs.

I looked up the required specs and the specs of the tires on the car. They are too low. If I can google the required tire specs (I'm told they're also displayed on the car somewhere), there's no way they should be able to screw that up. They are the same brand that has been on the car since the day I bought it, kumho.

As for the patch/plug, failing is my own word here. It has a slow leak. As it turns out, the place that did it (a local mechanic shop) did it in that no go zone on the tire. I'd imagine that the crazy heat we've had down here doesn't help. That's not really important here though as the real issue came before them.

I was at Costco for the tires yesterday and everything they said matches up. I've got the original paper work on the tires and they are definitely below the specs.

Its usually on the inside of the drivers side door.

Good luck!

Yep... Patch right on the curve between tread and sidewall... Or close.

I would have tried plugging... If it was more on tread... Glued the crap out of it. Broken it down, trimmed and still patched! Then... Using it as a full size spare. Get a rim and another tire. Or swap rims cheap steel one for that spare.

www.TireRack.com

Run same tire dealer put on, they ain't worried. Why should you be?... I am half joking.

Sorry, for the soapbox... Why I moved away from anything Pacific Rim autos. They know how to make a buck and keep things cheap. My old Isuzu, they wouldn't even honor warranty one mile over. I guess they are right. Why should they give a phuck about the consumer. Even when you spend a ton (my two new Euro rides, BMW/MINI), they still try and pull the same BS. But, @ least they are sorta "fair trade" & outside of the VW shenanigans (what idiot buys a diesel because they say it is "clean" and "sports car" AND "efficient"... All three words are incompatible with: "diesel"... But they marketed the shist out of it! ??)... I can't picture the Germans (Audi, Mercedes, BMW/MINI) playing "games w/tires though... They take that angle seriously? Well, I hope! ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I would think they would not only offer to put on new tires at N/C, but will offer lifetime maintenance etc for you to sign a waiver that you will not sue them or post anything negative to social media or report them to Hyandai.

....or post anything negative to social media or report them to Hyandai.

LMAO! Keep the vehicles semi-nice and most importantly: cheap, they will be immune to anything. People will keep on buying.

Shrader... I am very curious on what the dealer says. Are you sure the model information jives w/those specs. Sometimes the specs will change depending what sub-model you have. Like different size calpiers, spare, AWD, etc... The sportier KIA Rio a friend of mine has does have a different size caliper than the orher models in the Rio line. I remember him saying he couldn't just go with basic tires and wheels. Had to stay sporty because of the beefier calipers they had on his "sport" model.

Could it be the other way around w/you. Meaning you have the basic model? & the tire place, specs you see are for a different trimmed our version of your vehicle? All-seasons, summer only, winter (snow & ice) tires?

You are further south, did dealer giver you all-seasons or just summer only?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I would think they would not only offer to put on new tires at N/C, but will offer lifetime maintenance etc for you to sign a waiver that you will not sue them or post anything negative to social media or report them to Hyandai.

A guy in my neighborhood essentially runs a dealership. I don't know him well, but I asked him about it and he pretty much suggested what you're saying. He didn't flat out say it, but he hinted at the negative reviews really stinging the place. We'll see how it goes. I was just there about an hour ago, but the service manager wasn't in so I'm playing the waiting game now to hear from him. The guy I did talk to was, forgive the pun, really spinning his tires trying to come up with an explanation. He's the one who actually sold them to me a year ago, so it's his head on the line here. There's really nothing for them to hide behind here. I have the tire paper work direct from them which lists the tire specs and I watched as he pulled up the required specs on his computer.

I'd love it if it came down to your scenario. I'd take that and run.

Shrader, notice these two should jive.

Attached images are from vehicle door plateand stamp on tire. The "XL" on door plate, I think is related to the "extra load" stamp on tire. Like the other poster said, the door plate will be the key to if the dealer met the specs. I think a uniform door plate is federally mandated on all vehicles.

Hope this helps!

post-1877-0-69477800-1471891781_thumb.jpg

post-1877-0-49194300-1471892269_thumb.jpg

PS: Boy these image restriction/compressions are rough!

:-( ;-)

I think you've got a valid argument. If they put tires on your car that are outside the OEM specs, they should swap them out and they should have told you that when you signed the paperwork at the dealership.

TBH, I feel like you got burnt by the "oh no, we're all out of the *right* tires so we'll just throw these on instead."

I think you've got a valid argument. If they put tires on your car that are outside the OEM specs, they should swap them out and they should have told you that when you signed the paperwork at the dealership.

TBH, I feel like you got burnt by the "oh no, we're all out of the *right* tires so we'll just throw these on instead."

We still don't know what that tire plate says... Or did he say? They dealer may only be required by that... Heck or any other place!

I feel the dealer will give him the run around with that. If those two match up, that is the minimum, right? Everything else is just a suggestion for OEM.

???

Shrader, notice these two should jive.

Attached images are from vehicle door plateand stamp on tire. The "XL" on door plate, I think is related to the "extra load" stamp on tire. Like the other poster said, the door plate will be the key to if the dealer met the specs. I think a uniform door plate is federally mandated on all vehicles.

Hope this helps!

attachicon.gif20160822_133245.jpg

attachicon.gif20160822_133301.jpg

PS: Boy these image restriction/compressions are rough!

:-( ;-)

Yeah, I found that on my door. What I don't see is the load index, which on your tire picture is the 86 in the "86W". Maybe it's on the sticker, specifically with the maximum weight allowed, but I don't know the exact conversion for that. And actually, now that I look at my sticker again, they actually came in below one other number, the aspect ratio. On your linked sticker, that's the 40 in the "205/40". I don't know if they are required to match that number though, as Costco yesterday specifically mentioned the load index.

A guy in my neighborhood essentially runs a dealership. I don't know him well, but I asked him about it and he pretty much suggested what you're saying. He didn't flat out say it, but he hinted at the negative reviews really stinging the place. We'll see how it goes. I was just there about an hour ago, but the service manager wasn't in so I'm playing the waiting game now to hear from him. The guy I did talk to was, forgive the pun, really spinning his tires trying to come up with an explanation. He's the one who actually sold them to me a year ago, so it's his head on the line here. There's really nothing for them to hide behind here. I have the tire paper work direct from them which lists the tire specs and I watched as he pulled up the required specs on his computer.

I'd love it if it came down to your scenario. I'd take that and run.

Contact Hyundai Customer Service directly. I went through a similar experience with a Chevy dealer a few years back. Chevy corporate was obviously not very nice to the dealership because the manager at the dealer was not super happy that he got smacked. I told him I had it in for the same service three times - he had his chance(s) and failed. He wasted enough of my time. Fix it right the first time and the conversation with Chevrolet never happens.

Contact Hyundai Customer Service directly. I went through a similar experience with a Chevy dealer a few years back. Chevy corporate was obviously not very nice to the dealership because the manager at the dealer was not super happy that he got smacked. I told him I had it in for the same service three times - he had his chance(s) and failed. He wasted enough of my time. Fix it right the first time and the conversation with Chevrolet never happens.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I'm willing to give this guy the chance to respond first, but I have no problem going higher up the ladder if he blows me off. The clock is ticking though because I feel like I should have heard back by now.