Any tire experts?

shrader

Yeah, I found that on my door. What I don't see is the load index, which on your tire picture is the 86 in the "86W". Maybe it's on the sticker, specifically with the maximum weight allowed, but I don't know the exact conversion for that. And actually, now that I look at my sticker again, they actually came in below one other number, the aspect ratio. On your linked sticker, that's the 40 in the "205/40". I don't know if they are required to match that number though, as Costco yesterday specifically mentioned the load index.

Maybe load doesnt really matter, maybe that door plate, the dealer or anybody else is held to? I hope the manager doesn't read our posts! ;-)

If that is the case, excuse the pun, what load!

FWIW... I NEVER thought load rating was set in stone by manu/model... I thought min tire out there met specs, just not for exceeding that rating. ??

I am gonna look on other sticker... I cropped it out because VIN was showing and didn't want tge Nigerians getting a hold of it... ;-)

Keep us informed and hope you win!!!!!

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I'm willing to give this guy the chance to respond first, but I have no problem going higher up the ladder if he blows me off. The clock is ticking though because I feel like I should have heard back by now.

Not trying to be a Neg Nancy... But dealing w/domestic is a lot easier than imports, especially Pacific!

Even Chrysler is getting hip to the Asian game... My 2006 Pacifica with 2005 subframe rotting out... They boned me big time on the special warranty put in place for the 2004 & 2005 models! I had a 2006 w/2005 part and they stuck it to me! No go!

Now, calling corporate, all they do is email me about buying a new Chrysler!

I am trying my hand w/BMW & MINI (MINI is made by BMW)... & I told Chrysler that!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

So their initial offer is 50% off, which is exactly what the dealer in my neighborhood told me to expect. They also want me to pay to have them put on and the balancing and all of that, which seems like a bit of a slap in the face. Time to decide how far I want to take this.

So their initial offer is 50% off, which is exactly what the dealer in my neighborhood told me to expect. They also want me to pay to have them put on and the balancing and all of that, which seems like a bit of a slap in the face. Time to decide how far I want to take this.

say thank you, but i think it is time i contact Hyundai and a lawyer. Lets not forget, they put you and your family in harms way..

Edited by plenzmd1

Huh? Say again... The tire place knows the specs better than the dealer and or manufacturer? Stay away from a Hyundai then! RUN FROM THAT DEALER!

What brand are the tires?

Why in the heck is a patch "failing"... You sure this tire place is reputable? Did they place said patch? Tire places are overly cautious, I understand. They tell you never plug a tire... But I plug them all the time and never had one fail in 30 years of doing them myself. I actually carry plug out in car and plug the damn thing with tire still on. I never run them bald. Never had a failure.

Where was the patch? Close to sidewall?

Did you check the actual specs from Hyundai? Do specs jive with what the tire shop says? Maybe tire shop is shady and wants to sell you four new tires? That wouldn't be a shock! :-/

Last question... Is it all wheel drive (AWD)?

I had a large piece of sharp metal near the sidewall on my driver side rear a few weeks ago. Tire went flat so I brought it into my usual repairman. He called and said because of where it was he could only plug the tire but couldn't charge me for it because plugs are supposedly not allowed or illegal now?

It's been a couple weeks and so far no issues so I'm pretty happy with that.

Not much help for your original issue, OP, but maybe you can look into plugging it yourself or getting someone to do it for you?

Or, don't listen to me because my automotive knowledge is very similar to Mitch Hedberg's........

"If my car breaks down and the gas tank does not say "E", I'm f***ed."

In a lot of areas local news eats up stories like this if you're willing to go that far.

A lot of in your corner type segments on the news.

Yeah, if I can ever get this manager to actually talk to me I'm going to spell it out very simply for him. Either you so right by me or I'm taking this higher. I need to research a bit what higher would be, but that's my plan. Having me in unsafe tires for a year and then expecting me to pay anything to replace them is ridiculous. I know the tires are useless to them now, but that's not my problem.

Yeah, if I can ever get this manager to actually talk to me I'm going to spell it out very simply for him. Either you so right by me or I'm taking this higher. I need to research a bit what higher would be, but that's my plan. Having me in unsafe tires for a year and then expecting me to pay anything to replace them is ridiculous. I know the tires are useless to them now, but that's not my problem.

Thay is every dealer's tactic, duck and become unavailable... Until you cool off and in a better mood.

Good luck.

Honestly, it is more than expected. The specs are just that. I think... THINK they are only held to putting what size is on your door plate.

What is the weight of the vehicle. Is it more than the tire rating that they put on? Again, I believe they didn't do anything truly unsafe... They just cheaped out on you. Like that is a shock. Like substituting "heavy duty" batteries for "alkaline" batteries... If that is even good analogy?

Once again... Good luck. I would cut bait and run from that dealer... Don't give a dime to their business. They make out if you do, even at 50%!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I've been focusing on the load index but they also low balled me on the aspect ratio, which seems to be a bigger deal. I talked to my mechanic about it today (found this place 6 or so months after I bought the tires). Once he saw how different the tires were from the door label, he said I absolutely shouldn't have to pay a dime. The aspect ratio can apparently mess with the gas mileage, so he was giving me little lines like "hey, didn't VW have some kind of gas mileage issue" to throw out there randomly. He essentially told me that they screwed this one up royally.

I did talk sit down for a face to face with the service manager today and he refused to budge even after the threat of taking it higher up the ladder. He said there was no safety issue whatsoever, even though tire centers beg to differ. So the second I walked out, I got on the phone and filed the complaint with Hyundai. Obviously that's going to take a couple days, but we'll see where this goes.

I've been focusing on the load index but they also low balled me on the aspect ratio, which seems to be a bigger deal. I talked to my mechanic about it today (found this place 6 or so months after I bought the tires). Once he saw how different the tires were from the door label, he said I absolutely shouldn't have to pay a dime. The aspect ratio can apparently mess with the gas mileage, so he was giving me little lines like "hey, didn't VW have some kind of gas mileage issue" to throw out there randomly. He essentially told me that they screwed this one up royally.

I did talk sit down for a face to face with the service manager today and he refused to budge even after the threat of taking it higher up the ladder. He said there was no safety issue whatsoever, even though tire centers beg to differ. So the second I walked out, I got on the phone and filed the complaint with Hyundai. Obviously that's going to take a couple days, but we'll see where this goes.

Wow! I must have missed them messing w/aspect ratio... That is kinda major. Sorry for just focusing on load rating. You got a totally different tire that came with car... :-( I take, like you said, it is the low end of the specs? Basic? Well, I hope!

Is it AWD? That could get messy if they didn't keep same diameter.

From what I learned, the ratio is sidewall height to tread width. If it is AWD, it is critical to keep OEM diameter... Some manufacturers are less tolerant than other's designs. Even extreme treadwear on one tire can mess with the system. Places like TireRack, I think, will actually shave (wear down) a tire to match tread depth of others... For AWD systems.

Wow! I must have missed them messing w/aspect ratio... That is kinda major. Sorry for just focusing on load rating. You got a totally different tire that came with car... :-( I take, like you said, it is the low end of the specs? Basic? Well, I hope!

Is it AWD? That could get messy if they didn't keep same diameter.

From what I learned, the ratio is sidewall height to tread width. If it is AWD, it is critical to keep OEM diameter... Some manufacturers are less tolerant than other's designs. Even extreme treadwear on one tire can mess with the system. Places like TireRack, I think, will actually shave (wear down) a tire to match tread depth of others... For AWD systems.

The load ratio thing was my fault. That was the number that initially stuck in my head so I was mentioning it here. But anyway...

Checkmate. It's amazing how quickly things move once you get the phone number for the owner's secretary. This is one of those automotive groups that owns a bunch of dealerships. One phone call to corporate and they quickly handed me over to her. So we're all set now. The only money leaving my wallet is when I have my mechanic check it out to make sure they didn't screw anything up.

Edit: and no, I'm not AWD

Edited by shrader