Cardale body language/ pocket presence very Jim Kelly??

Bocephuz

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

no

I agree. TT's contract is a smart deal for the Bills on its own. If, however, Jones does develop over the next two years, it certainly puts them in a great position. That kid has got tools no doubt. Great arm, poise, big and fast. He seems to be smart and motivated. He just needs to learn how to play QB at this level. I am feeling good about the "project", but that is what he is.

Why did you do that?

Was nothing against you Stony, I just felt like stirring the Kool-Aide that many on this board drink. I believe TT is a good stop gap, but he is not worth the type of money he is going to earn. Our current QB situation has been the norm for quite a few years, and while TT is better than anyone we could have picked up on the wire, he just doesn't have IT. That is just me playing armchair GM, and being frustrated along with everyone else about the current string of non-playoff years. I will gladly eat crow if he leads this team to the promised land this year.

I agree. TT's contract is a smart deal for the Bills on its own. If, however, Jones does develop over the next two years, it certainly puts them in a great position. That kid has got tools no doubt. Great arm, poise, big and fast. He seems to be smart and motivated. He just needs to learn how to play QB at this level. I am feeling good about the "project", but that is what he is.

That about sums it up.

Wentz came out of more of a pro-style offense and has started a huge amount. I think Cardale's "technical rawness" if I can create that phrase allied with his lack of experience in pro-style offenses and just in game play generally are what explains the difference between Wentz (2nd overall) and Jones (last pick of the 4th round). I think he is a project, he is two year away at least and we shouldn't let his performance against non-NFL level talent (as encouraging as it was) on Saturday kid us into believing he will be ready sooner.

I understand the "lack of experience in a pro-style offense" concern, but Wentz was operating his pro-style offense against a bunch of guys who will never even be invited to an NFL training camp. Jones, on the other hand, played the best games of his career against defenses that were loaded with NFL-caliber talent, playing for the highest possible stakes. So is Cardale really more "raw" than the guy who went number 2 overall and, at least until his injury, was probably going to be the Eagles starting QB this year? I understand the concern about how he performed this year at OSU, but it was far from an unmitigated disaster--he didn't lose a game. For some reason, that program was just in a massive funk last year. Probably a national championship hangover.

Do you think the opt outs in TT's contract had anything to do with what they feel they have in Jones?

As said up thread. No. I do think TT's contract lets them pick a QB in this year's draft once they part ways with EJ. Thats the back up battle CJ will have to win.

Edited by YattaOkasan

You know who he does remind me of Byron Leftwich.... Size, weight, pocket passer but with some mobility, same round 14 year old looking face/head, Lousy throwing mechanics, big arm...

That's still ok too.

That's actually a great comparison. Though Cardale is much more athletic. Cardale's face looks like he should be a olinemen.

As for Kelly, I need to see how he did in preseason game 1 in the 4th quarter to make a judgement.

His experience in a pro style and his accuracy. He makes some mind numbing throws (and can be wild high). He has a ton of confidence in his arm which sometimes leads to bad decisions. He hasn't had to go through progressions and get by with his mind. He's always fallen back on his immense physical talent. Urban's system is quite different from what you see in the NFL.

I believe in Cardale. I believe that he has a chance to be really good but we saw good Cardale the other night. If developed properly he has a chance to be more consistent. He's a guy (to date anyways) that has had good and bad. His peaks and valleys are higher (and lower) than many others. The trick will be to maximize the peaks and minimize the valleys.

Yolo, do you agree? Care to add anything else?

I realize that he(or anyone else) will have the accuracy of Tom Brady, But I hope he has the accuracy of TT on swing passes to our backs. It really annoys me when these little short passes go sailing over the back's head.