Chargers finally sign Bosa: Who blinked?

I agree with both of you.

Both sides are silly. Neither side has any business expressing confidence in themselves if they're hung up on offsets.

honestly, i think thats a bit of BS. both sides should try to structure deals to benefit themselves most, even in a worst case scenario. but one side is trying to push an offer that is unusual, while the other is simply asking for standard practice.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I understand it, the team were the ones that drove the wedge first and now they're both being stubborn for the sake of not conceding ground. Obviously, neither side is telling the absolute truth so statements should be taken with a pinch of salt.

No issue with a player standing up for their rights in most circumstances. Under the new CBA, I'm fairly sure I could get these deals done.

Yes, yes you could.

Cash flow and offsets are the only negotiating terms; everything else is basically already set.

I see absolutely no reason--on either side--that a holdout should happen these days.

Well if he "doesnt need the money" doesnt that contradict his entire reason for the hold out?

i think at this point its the principle of it. would you want to work for someone that was trying to force a non-industry standard contract on you in what should be a very easy negotiation?

Yes, yes you could.

Cash flow and offsets are the only negotiating terms; everything else is basically already set.

I see absolutely no reason--on either side--that a holdout should happen these days.

and even those are only in play at certain ranges where you are on the edge between where guys have/have not gotten it in years past. its really only about 10-20 contracts that see any negotiation and his shouldnt have been one.

honestly, i think thats a bit of BS. both sides should try to structure deals to benefit themselves most, even in a worst case scenario. but one side is trying to push an offer that is unusual, while the other is simply asking for standard practice.

The team is asking for standard practice; Jameis Winston's deal had offsets and $6M in deferred money (got paid in March of '16).

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/09/joey-bosa-san-diego-chargers-contract-holdout-nfl-training-camp

"For what it’s worth, last year’s top overall pick, Jameis Winston, had offset languageand $6 million of his signing bonus deferred into the subsequent March."

Perhaps I'm over-simplifying, but if the #1 (and #2) overall pick in the previous draft can have both offsets and deferred bonus money, what's Bosa's problem?

Why should the 3rd pick accept a deal that no other players selected before him or for who knows how many picks after was forced to accept, which is the offset language. I'm glad he's holding out and the Chargers can waste their third overall pick and get nothing for it. That's why they are perennial losers. If he was good enough to draft third, you should have zero worries about having to pay the offset. If you are that concerned about offset language, above fielding the best team, then trade down as far as you can to a pick where you won't have to provide it. See how that works out competitively.

If he can sit out and re-enter, let him. I am sure the NFLPA will support him and it would be awesome to see the Chargers lose the player altogether over a few millions dollars in offset language. Morons, complete and total morons.

The next CBA is going to be an absolute war and I hope the players take the teams and league to the bank. They risk everything, owners risk zero because they get handouts and subsidies left and right from a system and machine that prints its own money.

Yes, yes you could.

I watched the Chargers press conference after the draft. McCoy and Telesco were delighted to have him. So effusive with their praise for his game that it nearly made me gag.

How it got from that to this, I'll never know.

Why should the 3rd pick accept a deal that no other players selected before him or for who knows how many picks after was forced to accept, which is the offset language.

Carson Wentz has offset language:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/12/carson-wentz-signs-contract-that-includes-offset-language/

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Wentz is signing the four-year deal presently. The Eagles secured a verbal understanding from Wentz and Jared Goff before making the trade to No. 2 in the draft that either player would agree to offset language if they become Philadelphia’s pick. Both players indicated that they would accept that term."

The team is asking for standard practice; Jameis Winston's deal had offsets and $6M in deferred money (got paid in March of '16).

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/09/joey-bosa-san-diego-chargers-contract-holdout-nfl-training-camp

"For what its worth, last years top overall pick, Jameis Winston, had offset languageand $6 million of his signing bonus deferred into the subsequent March."

Perhaps I'm over-simplifying, but if the #1 (and #2) overall pick in the previous draft can have both offsets and deferred bonus money, what's Bosa's problem?

that softens me on it a bit.i know jameis had his baggage, but if #2 this year also had it, its less solidified as standard practice than what i had previously seen.

The Chargers released a statement that still has the Word grammar correction squiggles. iPhone notes app? Common man.

Spanos is cheap.

You cant take 2 seconds to print to PDF?!?!? :lol:

What a bush-league organization.

Edited by DrDareustein

Why should the 3rd pick accept a deal that no other players selected before him or for who knows how many picks after was forced to accept, which is the offset language. I'm glad he's holding out and the Chargers can waste their third overall pick and get nothing for it. That's why they are perennial losers. If he was good enough to draft third, you should have zero worries about having to pay the offset. If you are that concerned about offset language, above fielding the best team, then trade down as far as you can to a pick where you won't have to provide it. See how that works out competitively.

If he can sit out and re-enter, let him. I am sure the NFLPA will support him and it would be awesome to see the Chargers lose the player altogether over a few millions dollars in offset language. Morons, complete and total morons.

The next CBA is going to be an absolute war and I hope the players take the teams and league to the bank. They risk everything, owners risk zero because they get handouts and subsidies left and right from a system and machine that prints its own money.

Yup and I'm sure players think about this when looking for a team. Chargers setting a bad precedent and now they have alienated their top pick to the world. Good luck getting over that in the future