Chargers finally sign Bosa: Who blinked?

No, he's slated to make less money immediately. The entire contract is guaranteed; it's all about when he gets the money.

His camp is saying that they want a greater portion of the cash flow now, so that he can start earning interest that will help him carry the burden of the state tax he has to pay on his income.

Now I believe that the team is being unnecessarily frugal here--they're the ones that picked him No. 3 overall. That said, both sides are being silly. There are two issues at play: offsets and cash flow. Each side compromise on one and let's move on.

^ You could practically craft the guy's biography from cradle-to-grave based on that--good point :rolleyes:

What did I leave out? Rich kid who's (only?) job has been to be president of his father's team?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that--as I said in my post, I think the team is being unnecessarily frugal. He is not, however, going to make less money overall. He's going to make less money this year. He's going to make more money than Jalen Ramsey from their respective first contracts.

IMO offset language is a stupid fight for both teams--to me, it's like the team saying they think they could've made a mistake, and the player saying that he thinks he may not play well enough to get his 5th year option.

If I'm the team, and I'm looking to make a concession, I'd give in and say "okay, no offsets". That way, you get the contract done and you probably get the player to defer at least a portion of his upfront cash.

Ok, so we agree.

Correct. Which is a pretty big deal for a rookie.

Other teams, like Jacksonville, have structured it to be player friendly.

Where is he or any rookie going to earn enough interest to offset state taxes at that level?

I don't blame him for wanting as much as he can get. Not for a second. I also admit to leaning toward the employer over the employee for most cases. That may be different from what some others here think. The employer has a billion plus invested in his business. He can move on without the employee and hardly miss a beat. (Yes, Bosa won't change what they are by much.) Bosa has more to lose, so why give up the position of power?

HR guy here so I side with the employer in most cases. I can't here though.

Bosa is asking for nothing special. He is asking for exactly what other people in his position have been given. This is a bad look for the Chargers and I fell that the effects could be far reaching. This will have a negative effect on FA signings, draft pick negotiations in the future, and possibly the vote for a new stadium. Bosa has a year of earning to lose but to escape SD it may be worth it. If he re-enters the draft next year he likely is still a top 20 pick.

That said, both sides are being silly. There are two issues at play: offsets and cash flow. Each side compromise on one and let's move on.

I may be mistaken but Bosa has offered this. He will concede on either one but not both. The team refuses to budge on either.

No, he's slated to make less money immediately. The entire contract is guaranteed; it's all about when he gets the money.

His camp is saying that they want a greater portion of the cash flow now, so that he can start earning interest that will help him carry the burden of the state tax he has to pay on his income.

Now I believe that the team is being unnecessarily frugal here--they're the ones that picked him No. 3 overall. That said, both sides are being silly. There are two issues at play: offsets and cash flow. Each side compromise on one and let's move on.

^ You could practically craft the guy's biography from cradle-to-grave based on that--good point :rolleyes:

bosa's side reportedly has said they were open to one or the other - not demanding both anymore. That was 12 days ago.

I'm not a fan of the player's mom saying they should have pulled an Eli because that's overall harmful to players and the league in the interest of 1 rookie who may or may not do anything, but I don't get why this is the hill the Chargers have chosen to die on. These contracts have been well tread since the rookie cap. There's no reason to have a major impasse with any rookie. It's utterly ridiculous for the chargers to be fighting this fight.

As for Spanos, his charity efforts don't necessarily mean anything without knowing how much of it he writes off...or how much it is compared to others who have a similar amount of wealth. If I donate 10% of my worth and he donates 10% of his worth...well, news stories will get written about Spanos.

Ok, so we agree.

Appears so!

I may be mistaken but Bosa has offered this. He will concede on either one but not both. The team refuses to budge on either.

Well then the team is being ridiculous in not simply caving on the offset--it's a no-brainer since the cash is the bigger issue.

bosa's side reportedly has said they were open to one or the other - not demanding both anymore. That was 12 days ago.

See above

As for Spanos, his charity efforts don't necessarily mean anything without knowing how much of it he writes off...or how much it is compared to others who have a similar amount of wealth. If I donate 10% of my worth and he donates 10% of his worth...well, news stories will get written about Spanos.

Sorry, but I don't agree at all.

Tell the recipients of the money that it's only being provided for tax benefits--they don't care one iota. As to the comparative amounts (your 10% vs someone else's), yes, every little bit matters. The reason that his 10% is more noteworthy is obvious to both you and me: it goes further.

Something more to this story, Cowherd predicted that Bosa was worth watching and expressed concern over his parents involvement before he even got picked by SD. Not sure who he got that info from but this situation probably shouldn't be judged from the outside. I'm guilty for kicking dirt at the Chargers.

Apparently his dad is a former NFL player and the parents have a reputation of being "helicopter parents" FWIW.

Edited by Commonsense

Something more to this story, Cowherd predicted that Bosa was worth watching and expressed concern over his parents involvement before he even got picked by SD. Not sure who he got that info from but this situation probably shouldn't be judged from the outside. I'm guilty for kicking dirt at the Chargers.

Apparently his dad is a former NFL player and the parents have a reputation of being "helicopter parents" FWIW.

all of that is true

The chargers, however, knew all of that before they drafted him. The only one who is not at fault in all of this is the player himself. IMO.

His mom should not have made the Eli manning comment. It doesn't help negotiations, and it is a hot button for the fan base. You don't bring up Eli, Leaf, or Stan Kroenke.

But they are going to make sure he gets every penny that they believe should be coming to him. They are an affluent family though and he doesn't need the money immediately, so they are willing to pull the strings of the agent to allow the holdout.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sorry, but I don't agree at all.

Tell the recipients of the money that it's only being provided for tax benefits--they don't care one iota. As to the comparative amounts (your 10% vs someone else's), yes, every little bit matters. The reason that his 10% is more noteworthy is obvious to both you and me: it goes further.

You're certainly welcome to disagree, but I don't give credit for "charity" that gets written off. He's not the one "giving" that charity when he's using it to not pay taxes.

You're certainly welcome to disagree, but I don't give credit for "charity" that gets written off. He's not the one "giving" that charity when he's using it to not pay taxes.

To be fair, isn't he simply opting to have say in where the money goes, as opposed to letting the government choose for him?

Besides, the overarching point I'm making is that the donation does the same amount of good regardless of the intention

all of that is true

The chargers, however, knew all of that before they drafted him. The only one who is not at fault in all of this is the player himself. IMO.

His mom should not have made the Eli manning comment. It doesn't help negotiations, and it is a hot button for the fan base. You don't bring up Eli, Leaf, or Stan Kroenke.

But they are going to make sure he gets every penny that they believe should be coming to him. They are an affluent family though and he doesn't need the money immediately, so they are willing to pull the strings of the agent to allow the holdout.

Good stuff, I agree Bosa is caught in the middle. The fans impression of him will be affected, couple that with missing TC and his career that hasn't even started yet is rolling down a hill.

Isn't Bosa the guy whose parents made him live off campus during his final year at Ohio State to try and ensure that he wouldn't get into trouble (and thereby screw up his pre-draft ranking)?

yes. Because he was living with Zeke. Zeke likes partying. Edited by YoloinOhio