Don't expect Rex or Whaley to be fired in the offseason

His team in New Jersey were undisplinced and it seemed like he didn't hold players accountable. Last year, we led the NFL in penalties. That's not learning from your mistakes.

And this is just me, but I always give credit for the coach for their specialty. I didn't think Marrone deserved credit for the defense because he was an offense coach. I don't think Rex deserves credit for the offense. And while we had some really big plays, it was hardly an efficient offense. I believe we were 2nd worse in 3 and outs. You need to do better than that. Great thing is he has another year to prove himself.

It's been proven that "discipline" (myth perpetuated by the media) and penalties are not correlated. Jets were among the least penalized teams in the NFL during Rex's tenure.

A head coach is in charge of everything. Not just his "specialty."

The only remote possibility I see Whaley and/or Rex getting fired is that the Bills finish the season between 2-14 and 5-11 with no significant injuries to key positions.

This. Especially the "with no significant injuries to key positions" part.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I'm not inclined to go back and research it for your benefit. But maybe you can tell us which coaches that were fired after two years or less have gone on to stunning success elsewhere.

Hue Jackson was fired after one year and turned into a great OC and now a second shot at a HC gig.

Mularkey is now getting his 3rd shot after 2 years and 1 year respectively. He has a decent shot with a good QB and running game to be successful

Bloke,

I know we are splitting hairs here......but I think a top 10 defense makes us a 10 win team.

Why? Because I expect our offense to be better......we actually have a QB from day 1 now.

I'm not expecting Tyrod to be better. Wonderful if he is but I think we're somewhere near his ceiling. Taking progression for granted when he's come so far from his VT days would be, for me, a little foolish. No insults meant by that.

Hopefully the 2nd year in both schemes brings some improvement. The margins in the NFL are so small between success and failure, it's only finding little bits here and there.

I think we're on the cusp of seeing something so special for this team. If it fails, I'm not sure I can stop myself from going ballistic at those in charge. I'm not an optimistic type normally but I'm absolutely buzzing for this season. As someone who's never seen a playoff game, it's about time we changed that.

Edited by Blokestradamus

With the talent on the roster, we really should be #2 behind Seattle. That is how good this team should be.

I'm saying 5-7 because that should be enough to make this a 10 win team.

I think it's funny that posters like myself, you, & others might get placed in the hater camp. But i think we both believe this team is loaded and should be much better than rally to get to 8-8.

Fans always overrate the talent of their teams. The fact of the matter is that NFL teams are pretty much equal across the board year after year from a talent standpoint. The only differences (in order):

1. Quarterback

2. Injuries/luck

3. A handful of difference-makers at the other positions (your Von Miller's, JJ Watt's, etc.)

4. Coaching

So being "#2 behind Seattle with the talent on this roster" - even if that's true (doubtful) - doesn't mean a damn thing unless you excel in one (or more) of the four factors above.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Hue Jackson was fired after one year and turned into a great OC and now a second shot at a HC gig.

Mularkey is now getting his 3rd shot after 2 years and 1 year respectively. He has a decent shot with a good QB and running game to be successful

There are lots of fired coaches who go on the become highly successful coordinators in their next gigs. No one knows if Hue Jackson will succeed as HC in Cleveland.

You aren't really suggesting that Mularkey is an example of a coach who deserved more time, are you? That hire by the Titans was probably the worst in the last three years.

Edited by mannc

Kudos to Rex for hiring Roman.

If only he had the defense up to par...

If the team goes 6-10 with a struggling confused defense brining Rex back for the sake of continuity will be asinine.

The defense took major hits with losing Kyle and Aaron Williams, on top of the fact that Mario quit on the team.

Fans always overrate the talent of their teams. The fact of the matter is that NFL teams are pretty much equal across the board year after year from a talent standpoint. The only differences (in order):

1. Quarterback

2. Injuries/luck

3. A handful of difference-makers at the other positions (your Von Miller's, JJ Watt's, etc.)

4. Coaching

So being "#2 behind Seattle with the talent on this roster" - even if that's true (doubtful) - doesn't mean a damn thing unless you excel in one (or more) of the four factors above.

Fans always overrate the talent of their teams. The fact of the matter is that NFL teams are pretty much equal from a talent standpoint. The only differences (in order):

1. Quarterback

2. Injuries

4. Coaching

So being

:thumbsup:

I'm not expecting Tyrod to be better. Wonderful if he is but I think we're somewhere near his ceiling. Taking progression for granted when he's come so far from his VT days would be, for me, a little foolish. No insults meant by that.

Hopefully the 2nd year in both schemes brings some improvement. The margins in the NFL are so small between success and failure, it's only finding little bits here and there.

I think we're on the cusp of seeing something so special for this team. If it fails, I'm not sure I can stop myself from going ballistic at those in charge. I'm not an optimistic type normally but I'm absolutely buzzing for this season. As someone who's never seen a playoff game, it's about time we changed that.

I am not going to try to change your mind......but I really dont agree on Tyrod Taylor.

I think you are going to see more interceptions because he is going to work the middle of the field....and I think your going to see more yards, completions, big plays, and touchdowns because he is going to work the middle of the field

How does a QB biuld any real consistancy in year 1 when he has to split reps in training camp and pre season with number 1s, 2, and 3s because of a legit 3 way QB competition

Tyrod makes all the things that look difficult for other QBs look easy.......his accuracy is outstanding

He struggles with some other things that dink and dunk QBs do easlily....I think that can be much easier fixed then the other way around.

Im not going to get into the Super Bowl thing.......im not going to say its a positive....I am going to say that stat was Tyrod not for a 1st year QB but for ANY starting NFL QB was statistically very good and definately can get better.

There are lots of fired coaches who go on the become highly successful coordinators in their next gigs. No one knows if Hue Jackson will succeed as HC in Cleveland.

You aren't really suggesting that Mularkey is an example of a coach who deserved more time, are you? That hire by the Titans was probably the worst in the last three years.

Not at all. Was just a few examples of the top of my head of guys that could rebound. Mularkey has better tools in Tenn than he had here or in Jacksonville

Let the Ryan clown show continue until their contracts run out.

By that time the playoff window will have closed. Tyrod

Could be in a body cast. And the Bills will be out of "quarterback purgatory."

it comes as a surprise that anyone can picture Rex with a Lombardi won as a HC.

Playoff ball is a completely different game. And sure he made it too and lost the afc

Championship game twice that was awhile ago. he routinely loses to the top coaches.

One has to wonder what questions were asked when Rex was interviewed by the "football"

People on the Bills in regards to the defensive players he was about to inherit. Not Brandon but

Football people. I would guess

His answer was close too " it is disappointing to see them finish 4th under Marrone. I will have them at #1

They are all great players in particular that front 4."

Now after his own proclamation that the Bills "won" the offseason and his vocal supporters here

Constantly saying he needs to get the right players too fit his scheme. next years offseason a whole new

Set of excuses will need to be invented. i guess maybe EL pegul learnd nothing wth the Ruff situation.

Marrone didn't have injuries because his teams had discipline and accountability. The players actually had to work in practice, they had to stay in shape because their head coach was a power tripping drill sergeant. If they didn't stay in shape they knew they would lose playing time. Now Karlos Williams bloats up and nonchalantly tells the media about it. Now the practices are reportedly much slower-paced. We also had a different strength & conditioning staff. If after 2016 the score is 2 healthy years under Marrone, 2 injury devastation years under Rex, it will be very difficult to claim its all down to chance.

Under Marrone if Hughes or Dareus started acting moronically on the field they were immediately removed from the game. Now Mario spends his time alternating between sleepwalking and rebelling against the gameplan yet he plays all year.

Coaching matters. It sets the standard that everyone knows they have to meet. This team should have been in the playoffs each of the last 2 seasons.

Edited by Aaron

C.

Mario wasnt giving us his all.....and it was easy to see that

Shaq lawson went under the knife so he WOULDNT have a bum shoulder......I am excited to see what Shaq looks like playing injury free in what.....4 years?

mario didn't give it his all in Houston and every year in Buffalo. Go back and watch his play after the annual

Mathematical elimination game with the Bills. In particular the season the team finished aganst two division rivals.

The jets and the fish he was an embarassment too watch. That should have been (the houston rumor) a buyer beware

Sign when Nix & cmpany showered him with the richest defensive contract at the tme in league history. mario never has had a reputation

As a team first guy. And in his own words said upon signng I am not a vocal leader I lead by my play. yea right 94.

mario derailed nothing last seasn. Ryan did by not benching or cutting his ass.

I absolutely love the players on this team. The interview from Shady just had me incredibly impressed. He's ready to role.

Dareus' interview had the same effect on me. He's focused and seems like he's in a good place.

I even thought Gilmore handled himself like a consummate professional.

What a terrific group of guys we have. To me blowing things up and starting over with this young team is a tremendously bad thought to even have. The rails would have to completely fall off for me to even consider that to be a good idea.