Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

If we don't resign him now Tyrod plays for $3M this season. If he plays lights out we give him the franchise tag (if unable to workout a long term deal) for about $21 or $22 million. So bills have Tyrod for 2 years $25M as it stands now, with the ability to not commit one dollar more if he plays terribly this year.

If they decide to rip up this deal and replace it with 2 years $30M they are not only giving him $5M extra but they are locking into next year before seeing this year's results. It makes absolutely no sense. The only way a deal like this becomes favorable for the Bills is to add a team option 3rd year to the deal that is totally unguaranteed. And that 3rd year would need to be south of $18M for me to want to do it.

Now you have Tyrod for let's say:

$12M in '16

$18M in "17

$18M in '18

Total 3 years $48M

As opposed to:

$3M in '16

$21M in '17 (franchise tag)

$25.5M in '18 (franchise tag)

Total 3 years $49.5M

At least in this scenario the Bills are saving $1.5 M, but even with that, I personally wouldn't want to do that deal because I'm not protected against Tyrod totally imploding, as the Bills currently are. I really think they should let this season play out.

it gives them some gilmore flexibility. and i guess shuts up his agent next year (though probably not, but at least avoids hold out maybe?). is that worth a $5m raise, and promising next year? maybe.

on the flip side TT gets some guarantees - but would be at the very bottom of the vet starters pay grade. is that worth giving up the shorter path to his monster deal? maybe?

theres some good on both sides but thats kind of what i was saying about not being sure there is enough positive for both sides to convince me they would each be coming to the table for this specific set of numbers.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@salsports

One thing to remember with Bills/Taylor: team has him "under their control" for essentially 32 more games as-is right now b/c of tag...

...They could say "we don't have to do anything here for 2 more seasons." That's what plays in their favor. But no one really wants that..

Bills need to protect themselves if Tyrod plays average to great. When it comes time to renegotiate the Bills will have nothing to stand on other than the franchise tag. The tag is a nice card to have in your pocket but that virtually guarantees he doesn't stay for year 3. Plus 21M is hard to carry under the cap.

@salsports

One thing to remember with Bills/Taylor: team has him "under their control" for essentially 32 more games as-is right now b/c of tag...

...They could say "we don't have to do anything here for 2 more seasons." That's what plays in their favor. But no one really wants that..

On the same side of that....

Tyrod and his agent probably know that the bills might want to use that Tag on Gilmore.......

It only works if they believe the bills would be willing to move on from Gilmore if they cant come to terms with him

Bills need to protect themselves if Tyrod plays average to great. When it comes time to renegotiate the Bills will have nothing to stand on other than the franchise tag. The tag is a nice card to have in your pocket but that virtually guarantees he doesn't stay for year 3. Plus 21M is hard to carry under the cap.

I agree that it'd be nice for the Bills to have a deal in place for 2-3 more years (effectively) and not to worry about using a tag on him next season. But I disagree that using it means he's gone the following year. I doubt Taylor would sign it. He'd force a long term deal or trade. $21M isn't that far out of line for a top half of the league QB and it's a great deal if you got him for $3M the previous season. That's a $12M per year average.

On the same side of that....

Tyrod and his agent probably know that the bills might want to use that Tag on Gilmore.......

It only works if they believe the bills would be willing to move on from Gilmore if they cant come to terms with him

It doesn't matter really...all the Bills have to do is make it clear that--in the event neither is signed, they'll use the tag on Taylor.

virtually guarantees is a pretty over the top phrase here.

Or score 20 points instead of doing a Trenative impression.

Pretty sure when Fitz did it the Defense got 4 picks. Tends to help as well.

EDIT: Double checked, yeah 4 INT's, one for a TD and we still only won by 3 points.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Interesting

@johnTWCnews

Tyrod Taylor says he's blocking out all the noise regarding his contract situation. Says hasn't talked to agent since camp started. #Bills

Nah, Im sure he told his agent what he wants so there is no need for him to talk to him until the contract offer has been met

CBF

Interesting

@johnTWCnews

Tyrod Taylor says he's blocking out all the noise regarding his contract situation. Says hasn't talked to agent since camp started. #Bills

if he gave his agent a set of parameters - theres no reason to chat on any and every offer. just big curveballs and when agent thinks its VERY close to the best he can get.