Dennis Thurman, the invisible DC

I'm sure they are trying to keep him away from the media. Last year he admitted he didn't know what was going on. Priceless.

doesnt seem like they are trying to keep him away from the media. He just talked to the media Thursday.

http://m.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Thurman-My-Role-Doesnt-Change/4ffc8800-a18b-4318-bf6a-e3f544d4a819

Edited by YoloinOhio

It just strikes that Rob Ryan seems to have the most visible role working with the team. We all assumed Rob was the defacto DC, even if Thurman held the title. And like I said before, Thurman doesn't look like he gets invited out with the Ryan's and Ed Reed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It just strikes that Rob Ryan seems to have the most visible role working with the team. We all assumed Rob was the defacto DC, even if Thurman held the title. And like I said before, Thurman doesn't look like he gets invited out with the Ryan's and Ed Reed.

I think Thurman is in the public eye as much as he wants to be.

I think the media, and posters to this board, talk about Rob more often because he's more interesting. Rob's got a bigger personality, he's Rex's brother (with shades of nepotism creeping into the picture), he's got a poorly defined job, and he's new to Buffalo.

Thurman has been very clear: he's got the same role this year that he had last year and I believe him. Rob's a special projects guy.

And from the Ryan family perspective, this may make a lot of sense. Rob's probably hoping to be a DC somewhere else next year. So it would be disruptive to take DC responsibilities away from Thurman this year only to give them back last year. It's better to put Rob into a special projects role where he won't be missed if he gets a DC offer.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I don't doubt that brothers spend a lot of time

But I also don't doubt that the media is far more excited to show that than they are about Dennis Thurman

I think Thurman is in the public eye as much as he wants to be.

I think the media, and posters to this board, talk about Rob more often because he's more interesting. Rob's got a bigger personality, he's Rex's brother (with shades of nepotism creeping into the picture), he's got a poorly defined job, and he's new to Buffalo.

Thurman has been very clear: he's got the same role this year that he had last year and I believe him. Rob's a special projects guy.

And from the Ryan family perspective, this may make a lot of sense. Rob's probably hoping to be a DC somewhere else next year. So it would be disruptive to take DC responsibilities away from Thurman this year only to give them back last year. It's better to put Rob into a special projects role where he won't be missed if he gets a DC offer.

agreed on all points.

In Thurman's media session , he was exactly as he was last year.

Quietly succinct and looking to get it over with.

But he did make a joke and laugh a couple times !

DT= Curtis Modkins. A top level assistant that gets the title of coordinator even though the head coach is the real coordinator, because someone has to have it. A coordinator who doesn't call plays because that's the head coach's specialty.

Uh, yea bud. I know.

Why did they do an unfiltered interview with Greg Roman and not him?

what is an "unfiltered interview"?

I loved Thurman's interviews last year as well. That man speaks methodically. Roman has a lot more personality than I expected.

Rex has always taken media pressure of his team's and handled it. Thurman seems to do interviews as little as HE can.

what is an "unfiltered interview"?

I loved Thurman's interviews last year as well. That man speaks methodically. Roman has a lot more personality than I expected.

Rex has always taken media pressure of his team's and handled it. Thurman seems to do interviews as little as HE can.

and for the most part, DCs are usually pretty invisible at least to me. I live in an area where the bengals and Browns are covered pretty heavily and I've no idea who their DC is. I only know who the Browns DC is because he is newly hired, but don't recall him being interviewed much if at all. Edited by YoloinOhio

doesnt seem like they are trying to keep him away from the media. He just talked to the media Thursday.

http://m.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Thurman-My-Role-Doesnt-Change/4ffc8800-a18b-4318-bf6a-e3f544d4a819

A media presser with Thurman is about as interesting as watching paint dry. So, it shouldn't be any surprise that the media hasn't focused too much on him.

Still, that was a pretty weird presser. Not, for anything Thurman said, but for his body language. He's fidgeting so uncomfortably, that it almost looks like he has Parkinson's. If I were one to read too deeply into things, I might say that there was a lot of subtext in his body language.

A media presser with Thurman is about as interesting as watching paint dry. So, it shouldn't be any surprise that the media hasn't focused too much on him.

Still, that was a pretty weird presser. Not, for anything Thurman said, but for his body language. He's fidgeting so uncomfortably, that it almost looks like he has Parkinson's. If I were one to read too deeply into things, I might say that there was a lot of subtext in his body language.

I didn't get that read. I'll watch again.

He's not a guy who like to praise guys that much... Witch made the Ed Reed question so funny to me... Thurman said somthing like: he's right next to me, i feel wierd talking him up.. or somthing like that. That to me is his personality. Also when asked if his role changed with Rob in the building he said no, and made a WTF face.

I have valued his presser more than any coach on our staff. He strikes as a very smart guy who keeps his card close to the vest and doesn't BS.

I'd work for him.