Ed Reed Saw Confusion and Lack of Effort in 2015 Film

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same amount of sacks as Mario, who apparently wasn't trying. Some of Hughes' 15 yard penalties were killers that keep drives alive.

C'mon, C.B. Hughes had a very good season last year and his metrics in every category but sacks were above average. He was in the backfield a LOT.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jerryhughes/496796/profile

He was also 25th in qb pressures. Mario? 77th. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2015/

You've gotta stop making excuses for that malingering deadbeat. He was horrible last season. Watch the Washington game again. He literally didn't try. I presume you know how much money he made last season. Check out his pathetic tackle stats too.

Defending Mario's 2015 season at this point brings to mind those GIs in Vietnam near the end of the war who asked, "Who wants to die for a mistake?"

Edited by dave mcbride

C'mon, C.B. Hughes had a very good season last year and his metrics in every category but sacks were above average. He was in the backfield a LOT.

He was also 25th in qb pressures. Mario? 77th. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2015/

You've gotta stop making excuses for that malingering deadbeat. He was horrible last season. Watch the Washington game again. He literally didn't try. I presume you know how much money he made last season. Check out his pathetic tackle stats too.

Defending Mario's 2015 season at this point brings to mind those GIs in Vietnam near the end of the war who asked, "Who wants to die for a mistake?"

All things considered, especially the aspect of him playing a new position with his hand off the ground much of the time, I think Hughes had a helluva year. Effort wise, we'd be lucky to have 10 other Hughes' out there on defense; the man was relentless. When I contrast that to Mario's effort, well. It's a shame Mario mailed it in like he did because he has the ability to excel in the scheme.

GO BILLS!!!

haha, Arthur Moats with the same amount of pressures as Mario, awesome...

Thank you. I knew I couldn't be the only one. :beer: for you and me!

oh yeah. I remember mentioning it at the time but all the Coughlin apologists (who's team had a worse record than the Bills) made excuses for his team's discipline issues. His Game management was atrocious as well. Thanks for the beer! Edited by YoloinOhio

That is a fair point.....although its not a common demoniator of RR teams

They are usually not high in the penalty department

Although it IS a common denominator for this player group. They were poor with Marrone at the helm as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Let's for the sake of argument assume that Rex is an intelligent man. As such, I'm sure he observed problems with his D last year and identified some changes he needed to make. So...

* with DW's cooperation, he made some modifications to the defensive roster;

* he made some changes to the coaching staff;

* he's making some schematic changes;

* he's probably making some other changes to how he approaches the season.

I don't think Rex is an idiot and I don't think any of these changes are whimsical. Whether he's assessed the actual ailments and the right cures remains to be seen but I doubt if there's anything haphazard about what Rex is doing.

I suspect Ed Reed was brought in for more than his positional expertise. My guess is that Rex hopes Reed helps with earning credibility for the whole defensive coaching staff, gaining player buy-in, improving player communication and effort, etc.

Probably all true. But don't confuse activity with achievement. The defense lost talent from last season, so he'll need to make that up and more to show improvement. We'll see how it all looks when the season starts.

Probably all true. But don't confuse activity with achievement. The defense lost talent from last season, so he'll need to make that up and more to show improvement. We'll see how it all looks when the season starts.

In this D it's more important to have a player who knows and plays the team system than a more talented player who does not. Losing a talented Mario, in this case, is addition by subtraction. Adding Ragland in place of bradham will be an improvement too. The most important positions that can't mask talent are the CBs, which they have. The biggest concern I gave is depth.

In this D it's more important to have a player who knows and plays the team system than a more talented player who does not. Losing a talented Mario, in this case, is addition by subtraction. Adding Ragland in place of bradham will be an improvement too. The most important positions that can't mask talent are the CBs, which they have. The biggest concern I gave is depth.

I'm concerned about the front seven. Mario is replaced by Manny Lawson (and then maybe a rookie for the second half of the season). Bradham is replaced by a rookie. Kyle Williams is a year older and is coming off a major injury. Plus, Dareus still appears to be the NT, which is not his natural position. I think that there are issues up front which will need to be overcome.

Edited by vincec

This is a scheme that, before last year, finished at worst #11 during his coaching career. It's not impossible to implement.

I do believe that he also finished no worse than 11th in sacks too. Yet the Bills with the best and most talented defensive line in the league finished dead last in QB pressures and 31st in sacks under Ryan in 2015.

It is a passing league and not getting pressure on opposing QB's is what caused the Bills to give Mario 100 million in the first place. I can recall Buddy Nix crying that even the worst QB's are playing like all pros because the Bills couldn't muster a pass rush worth a damn. So the Bills sign Mario and get super lucky that the Dumb F GM in Indy wanted Bill Polian's last first rounder at linebacker out of Indy and traded Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard. Combined with KW and the Manster the Bills have the best pass rush in the league for two seasons.

The Bills lost their best pass rusher to a division opponent and most Bills fans seem blissfully happy with this idea because they think Mario is now a useless malcontent. All I can say to allow fans to understand what transpired last season. Imagine how pissed off Bills HoF DE Bruce Smith would have been with him attempting to reach the sack total title as a goal before he retires and a new DC tells him he can't rush the passer anymore! Now he must stay in position to control gaps and the OT so the linebackers behind him can make the plays / sacks. The last thing on earth a 260 lb DE wants to do all game is wrestle a 300+ lb OT. I can only think that the man would be livid and ask to be traded.

At one point in Bruce Smith's career in the huddle against Tampa bay, he told his fellow defenders that "if anyone makes a tackle they will answer to me" and by the next game the HC was fired and replaced.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bills fans will see the same vocal dislike about the scheme this year if Ryan has Marcell Dareus playing NT in a two gap scheme which he will hate doing. Besides the Bills didn't give the man a 100 million to be a gap controlling NT.

I have a few conspiracy theories as to why Ryan chose to run mostly a two gap run-stopping scheme when a one gap scheme would have allowed those D-linemen to rush the passer instead of sitting back and controlling gaps. One involves Russ Brandon asking Ryan to make Mario look bad so the fans will hate him because the team really can't afford him...kinda based on a 100+ page thread that fans went nuts about signing the guy. Another is that Ryan simply didn't care to put the effort into a lot of the game plans. Lastly is that Ryan didn't care to compete with Schwartz for the sack title and didn't mind looking bad this year so he can be a hero next year when the team starts leading the league in sacks again.

I do believe that he also finished no worse than 11th in sacks too. Yet the Bills with the best and most talented defensive line in the league finished dead last in QB pressures and 31st in sacks under Ryan in 2015.

It is a passing league and not getting pressure on opposing QB's is what caused the Bills to give Mario 100 million in the first place. I can recall Buddy Nix crying that even the worst QB's are playing like all pros because the Bills couldn't muster a pass rush worth a damn. So the Bills sign Mario and get super lucky that the Dumb F GM in Indy wanted Bill Polian's last first rounder at linebacker out of Indy and traded Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard. Combined with KW and the Manster the Bills have the best pass rush in the league for two seasons.

The Bills lost their best pass rusher to a division opponent and most Bills fans seem blissfully happy with this idea because they think Mario is now a useless malcontent. All I can say to allow fans to understand what transpired last season. Imagine how pissed off Bills HoF DE Bruce Smith would have been with him attempting to reach the sack total title as a goal before he retires and a new DC tells him he can't rush the passer anymore! Now he must stay in position to control gaps and the OT so the linebackers behind him can make the plays / sacks. The last thing on earth a 260 lb DE wants to do all game is wrestle a 300+ lb OT. I can only think that the man would be livid and ask to be traded.

At one point in Bruce Smith's career in the huddle against Tampa bay, he told his fellow defenders that "if anyone makes a tackle they will answer to me" and by the next game the HC was fired and replaced.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bills fans will see the same vocal dislike about the scheme this year if Ryan has Marcell Dareus playing NT in a two gap scheme which he will hate doing. Besides the Bills didn't give the man a 100 million to be a gap controlling NT.

I have a few conspiracy theories as to why Ryan chose to run mostly a two gap run-stopping scheme when a one gap scheme would have allowed those D-linemen to rush the passer instead of sitting back and controlling gaps. One involves Russ Brandon asking Ryan to make Mario look bad so the fans will hate him because the team really can't afford him...kinda based on a 100+ page thread that fans went nuts about signing the guy. Another is that Ryan simply didn't care to put the effort into a lot of the game plans. Lastly is that Ryan didn't care to compete with Schwartz for the sack title and didn't mind looking bad this year so he can be a hero next year when the team starts leading the league in sacks again.

your conspiracy theories are pretty decent.

If Bills run MD in two gap as a NT the majority of the time i will accept that Rex is done and washed up.

But your orbit is becoming elliptical with this post.

Strawberry moon perhaps ?

: )

cheese and rice... HIS defence got MARK SANCHEZ to the playoffs....twice.... before Mike Tannenbaum's wonderful GM skills did wonders for the Jets talent pool. Oh, yea forget his defense WON a super bowl with Trent Dillfer at QB...

I'm not view anything in a vacuum. There's extenuating circumstances for good and bad years he's had... but his good years have LITERALLY BEEN RECORD SETTING.

so go away.

P.S. they started looking like a Rex Ryan D after the bye last year. I cant wait to see what it looks like without malcontents and personal understanding a complex scheme for real now.

Who do you think built that team before Ryan even got to NY? Mike Tannenbaum built that team from the get-go as he was hired to the team in 1997 and promoted to GM in 2006. His first two picks in his first draft were LT Brick Fergurson and C Nick Mangold who are both two all pro studs since being drafted. His next draft was Darrelle Revis and David Harris. Revis was arguably the best CB in the league for years. Great picks before Ryan got to NY.

That 2008 Jets team went 9-7 under Mangini before Ryan even got to NY and then went 9-7 under Ryan in 2009. The talent was already there on defense when Rex took over, Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, Revis, Harris. Already there! Then after Rex Ryan was hired the team brought in Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard.

I can only think that Rex Ryan had a lot of input into who he wanted the team to draft for the next six years so I don't know that anyone can lay the entire blame on the GM. The 2010 first round pick DB Kyle Wilson, in 2012 first round pick DE Quinton Coples and how much input did Ryan have in finding these men? Then Tannenbaum was fired after the 2012 season so for Ryan's next two years with the Jets he had John Idzik as his GM. First-round picks DB Dee Milliner (9th overall) and S Calvin Prior (18th overall)? More bums, so was it just the GM?

Literally record setting? 2011 NY Jets defense was 20th in points allowed. 2012 NY Jets defense was 20th in points allowed. 2013 NY Jets defense was 19th in points allowed. 2014 NY Jets defense was 24th in points allowed.

That Washington Redskin game was after the Bills bye week and the team looked incredibly incompetent on defense that week. In actuality, about the only QB the Bills beat all season that was worth a damn was in week one against Andrew Luck and he finished the season 2-5. If the Bills faced even an average QB they lost. Losses to Sam Bradford, Blake Bortles, Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Eli Manning, Andy Dalton and the goat 2x. Wins against Fitz 2x, Tallywhacker 2x, Andy Luck, Kellen Moore, Marcus Mariota, Brian Hoyer.

As far as conspiracy theories go, it could just be that Rex Ryan is nowhere near as good a defensive minded coach as the one who took control over the 2009 NY Jets. Then after the first two years, teams learned how to defeat his scheme. Ryan's offenses in his six-year reign as the NY Jets head coach never cracked the top ten and were mostly in the bottom third in that time. As a head coach, he is responsible for all three phases of the team and the overall win record.

An interesting note, the Buffalo Bills haven't been first in the division since 1995! And since then have been in the bottom more often than not. 2014 saw them 2 of 4 and 2015 saw them move back to 3 of 4.

+1. whether we like it or not , this is a system defense.

If the name "Negative Man" was not copyrighted you should change your name to it. Bruce would have kicked his ass for loafing like that!

I'm concerned about the front seven. Mario is replaced by Manny Lawson (and then maybe a rookie for the second half of the season). Bradham is replaced by a rookie. Kyle Williams is a year older and is coming off a major injury. Plus, Dareus still appears to be the NT, which is not his natural position. I think that there are issues up front which will need to be overcome.

certainly valid concerns. All conjecture until we see them in a game that matters. Despite what appears a loss of talent though, this whole D should be greater than the some of its parts.