Ravens' LT Eugene Monroe Released after No Trade - Retired

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ravens are so much smarter than us - that we should look to stay away and do the opposite of our impulse. They would never hire Rex Ryan.

It worked for George Costanza!

The NFL isn't scared. There are many more who wish to replace these handful of players who have taken early retirement.

Did anyone else offer him a contract?

Irrespective of the standard WEO contrary opinion, it's a trend that the NFL is likely concerned about.

Irrespective of the standard WEO contrary opinion, it's a trend that the NFL is likely concerned about.

And if they aren't, they should be. Even scarier to them is the idea that the player pipeline dries up more slowly over the years as fewer kids play the sport, kind of like boxing's slow fall 50-60 years ago.....

And if they aren't, they should be. Even scarier to them is the idea that the player pipeline dries up more slowly over the years as fewer kids play the sport, kind of like boxing's slow fall 50-60 years ago.....

Exactly to the point.

You think if he was offered a decent contract to start for another team he would have turned it down? He's been available for 5 weeks, he didn't get signed so he's retiring. Good for him I say.

As for the NFL, they may be worried about the perception that players are leaving in droves (obvious misperception), but they are not worried that the stream of NFL players will dry up. There will always be players willing to take the risk. In fact every current player is not concerned enough about CTE to retire.

Boxing is a bizarre comparison. It has (almost) been completely replaced in the public's eye with a far more violent form of fisticuffs---MMA. There seems to be no shortage of fighters for the various organizations that put on these fights.

I don't think he's retiring for the reason people think he's retiring. This likely has little to do with preserving his health. Why did the Ravens suddenly release him? He hasn't exactly been the NFL's poster boy. Quite the opposite and this is likely why teams decided against pursuing him. So, he retires.

You think if he was offered a decent contract to start for another team he would have turned it down? He's been available for 5 weeks, he didn't get signed so he's retiring. Good for him I say.

As for the NFL, they may be worried about the perception that players are leaving in droves (obvious misperception), but they are not worried that the stream of NFL players will dry up. There will always be players willing to take the risk. In fact every current player is not concerned enough about CTE to retire.

Boxing is a bizarre comparison. It has (almost) been completely replaced in the public's eye with a far more violent form of fisticuffs---MMA. There seems to be no shortage of fighters for the various organizations that put on these fights.

It's obvious that you don't get it. Many players are retiring early and the money has nothing to do with it.

It's obvious that you don't get it. Many players are retiring early and the money has nothing to do with it.

many may be a shaky term for what we have seen.

i cant speak to this player, but if he were not cut - i doubt he wouldve walked away from the contract. or if he would have been offered a monster deal day 1.

i do think there are more players that are saying "i made a lot, i may as well enjoy life" but i dont know that id qualify it as many.

many may be a shaky term for what we have seen.

i cant speak to this player, but if he were not cut - i doubt he wouldve walked away from the contract. or if he would have been offered a monster deal day 1.

i do think there are more players that are saying "i made a lot, i may as well enjoy life" but i dont know that id qualify it as many.

You want a semantic argument then put in several or whatever word suits you in place of many. The larger point remains the same.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

IMO it is amount of money he was getting before and amount of money he is offered now - it is very hard to take that pay cut.

Perhaps after a year or two of recovery his desire will return and he will try to make comeback where he can get a contract at start of season with a large signing bonus.

Many players do not know what to do with themselves post career and sometimes the leads they may think they have do not pan out.

This is a pattern for Virginia offensive linemen.

UVA recruits are pretty smart guys who have other options.

Brad Butler

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Eugene Monroe.

Do well, Play the game. Make your money. Get out.

Smart guys. Good players.

Health concerns certainly factor into some of it but I think the driving force is the RWS. The players porked themselves when they signed off on the rookie wage scale. Not only are some rookies criminally underpaid, it has affected the way teams negotiate with veterans. The reluctance to sign aging players, the unwillingness of teams to bring on a veteran and guarantee the veteran minimum etc.

The owners run the show and the players sacrifice their health for a paycheck, get paid and get out once the numbers on those checks start going downwards.

You want a semantic argument then put in several or whatever word suits you in place of many. The larger point remains the same.

ok... maybe "a few"

genuinely, i am curious about the topic and how its been effected by

1) us just paying way more attention to who retires in baltimore (or other city joe nfl fan didnt care much about in 1993)

2) simply having so much money that they dont WANT to play football all that badly when they have enough that their grand kids wont have to work if they dont want to - so why accept end of career pay decreases

3) genuine health concerns where they wouldve walked away from a major deal

It's not "semantics" when your claim is demonstrably false. A tiny fraction of players retire early, which is nothing like "many".

This guy "retired" because no team would employ him. It took him 5 weeks to realize he was concerned about his health and THAT'S why he is....retiring?

The NFL isn't worried, because training camps open next week and by September, the football watching public goes back to not paying attention to these side stories.

Count down to when Ray Rice decides he is worried about his health and "retires early".........

It's not "semantics" when your claim is demonstrably false. A tiny fraction of players retire early, which is nothing like "many".

This guy "retired" because no team would employ him. It took him 5 weeks to realize he was concerned about his health and THAT'S why he is....retiring?

The NFL isn't worried, because training camps open next week and by September, the football watching public goes back to not paying attention to these side stories.

Count down to when Ray Rice decides he is worried about his health and "retires early".........

Whatever Mr. Contrarian! 12 players under the age of 30 have recently retired. That is a new trend that cannot be ignored despite your inherent tendency to offer an opposing view. As I posted in response to another, substitute whatever word floats your argumentative boat in place of many but the larger point remains the same nonetheless.

Whatever Mr. Contrarian! 12 players under the age of 30 have recently retired. That is a new trend that cannot be ignored despite your inherent tendency to offer an opposing view. As I posted in response to another, substitute whatever word floats your argumentative boat in place of many but the larger point remains the same nonetheless.

Really, I'm not just being contrarian. You can't retire from a job you've essentially been fired from. And take away the word "many" and substitute with "a tiny fraction" and your argument about a "trend" evaporates--it doesn't stay the same.

In 2012, 12 players under 30 retired..no one really noticed. In 2013, it was 17...no one cared. It was 19 last year. A dozen this year and suddenly it's a PR disaster? Well the media certainly tells us it is. But the guys who play the game clearly disagree and have voted nearly unanimously (99.3%) that they aren't that worried (not enough to quit).

Notice only one guy (Megatron) was a star player who retired at the peak of his powers. The rest mostly consisted of guys with a couple of years and not much impact, guys who were without a contract and guys like Locker, who just didn't like playing football anymore (not that he played anyway). This is what the NFL understands and, deep down, is why they aren't very worried.