Former Bills to Open High End Steakhouse in Buffalo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite steak that I've ever had was at Keen's in Manhattan...14-oz bone-in filet they had on special.

How about Peter Luger's? Not in Manhattan but...And then there's The Palm...

This thread reminds me of Charles Grodin advising Robert DeNiro against opening a restaurant in Midnight Run.

One of the great movies of all time.

I've had few steaks out that are as good as what I can make myself at home. The best steakhouse I've been to is St. Elmo's in Indianapolis. Great cuts of beef that are cooked beautifully. I've not been to Black & Blue, but would like to try it sometime. The wife and I used to hit Jo Jo's regularly for drinks and snacking before it closed, but never made it next door.

So here's what I recommend for a perfect medium rare steak. Buy a sous vide set up. I have the Anova immersion device and cook in a cambro that I notched out a hole in the lid for the Anova. I usually make filet mignon or other tenderloin steaks. Thicker is better so I try to get pieces in the 1.5" range. I season, bag and cook for 1 hour at 130F. Meanwhile I get my charcoal grill as hot as it can go with the coals right up against the grate. When the steaks come out I pat them dry and put a little bit of fat (butter) on them and quickly sear them on the open grill. About 1-2 min per side. Keep them moving and flip as needed. The point here is to get a crust, but not cook them any more. The higher the heat the better. No need to rest with the sous vide so plate immediately on pre warmed dishes or serving dish.

You can also use a blazing hot pan instead of a charcoal grill. I do that sometimes, but I'd warn against using a gas grill. Even the infrared things don't work. Gas grills just don't get hot enough so getting a decent crust takes too long and the steaks cook. I tried it once and they came out med/medwell. Never again. If you use a pan don't try to cheat by putting oil or butter in it instead of on the meat. At the high heat needed it'll jump and spatter out. Put it on the meat. And open your windows and turn on your vent full blast. I routinely set off my smoke detectors when I pan sear. You can speed up and dial in the crusting process with a Searzall topped torch, but it isn't necessary. I usually use one for the pan, but not the grill.

I just tried sous vide this weekend. But I did it the cheapass way. Took a metal stock pot filled with water. Stuck it in a oven set to 170 degrees for an hour. Used Ziplock bags to cook in, filled with a little olive oil and seasonings. After 1 1/4 hours in the bath, I finished the filets over charcoal. The results were outstanding.

How about Peter Luger's? Not in Manhattan but...And then there's The Palm...

Haven't been to Luger's, so I can't really comment. I'm a victim of having been to Keen's once, and never having any desire to go elsewhere (not a great habit if you're visiting NYC, I admit).

One of the great movies of all time.

It was on cable yesterday :lol:

Haven't been to Luger's, so I can't really comment. I'm a victim of having been to Keen's once, and never having any desire to go elsewhere (not a great habit if you're visiting NYC, I admit).

NYC steakhouses are a dime a dozen and it's fruitless to argue about which is best. At the end, it's a personal choice and a lot will depend on the crowd you're with and your choice of wine. I like Luger's the best, but understand why others may prefer the dozens of other standbys.

I just tried sous vide this weekend. But I did it the cheapass way. Took a metal stock pot filled with water. Stuck it in a oven set to 170 degrees for an hour. Used Ziplock bags to cook in, filled with a little olive oil and seasonings. After 1 1/4 hours in the bath, I finished the filets over charcoal. The results were outstanding.

Awesome! Happy it's working out well for you. Ask away if you have any questions.

Pretty ingenuous, PTR. I may mimic this.

It just seems so unnatural.

and its French.

I remain diligent.

The rest of you are turning into to european fruit cups. all la tte da ing.

Beer and BBq as the American God intended

It just seems so unnatural.

and its French.

I remain diligent.

The rest of you are turning into to european fruit cups. all la tte da ing.

Beer and BBq as the American God intended

It's horribly unnatural! But I cooked a perfect flank steak tonight. Perfect temp and oh so tender. Didn't even need a knife. Something in the Asian marinade set the dog off like a mega-fart, though. She's never done that before. Maybe it was the fish sauce or the mirin? Sesame oil? Was she trying to warn me? THAT has never happened before! But I'll have a perfect steak again next time with a much better marinade.

It's horribly unnatural! But I cooked a perfect flank steak tonight. Perfect temp and oh so tender. Didn't even need a knife. Something in the Asian marinade set the dog off like a mega-fart, though. She's never done that before. Maybe it was the fish sauce or the mirin? Sesame oil? Was she trying to warn me? THAT has never happened before! But I'll have a perfect steak again next time with a much better marinade.

:thumbsup:

It's horribly unnatural! But I cooked a perfect flank steak tonight. Perfect temp and oh so tender. Didn't even need a knife.

Yea i think i said it earlier - i damn near feel guilty getting all the compliments because its SO easy..... but its so good, that i dont care.

Between this thread and the restaurant guide, I'm starving. Is this the food channel or TBD?

I'll play though and if you ever vacation in Tampa, there are a bunch of nice steakhouses here, but I personally like Charlie's.

A childhood friend of mine from Cheektowaga is now a high level planner at CENTCOM. Oddly, he's been both a Raiders and Bills fan since he was maybe 8 years and is still disgusted that the Bills traded away Lamonica..

He took me to Charley's a couple years ago when I was in Orlando for a conference. Good place.

Yea i think i said it earlier - i damn near feel guilty getting all the compliments because its SO easy..... but its so good, that i dont care.

You said it, and you were right! But skip the guilt. It's perfect for steaks, but I need to branch out more. Looking for what's next...

You said it, and you were right! But skip the guilt. It's perfect for steaks, but I need to branch out more. Looking for what's next...

getting outside beef ---- pork loins have treated me well, egg options are GREAT. did salmon a few times but i think i liked it more than my gf.

Edited by NoSaint

getting outside beef ---- pork loins have treated me well, egg options are GREAT. did salmon a few times but i think i liked it more than my gf.

I'll try pork loin next. For some reason my wife likes pork loin, but not a thick chop. I much prefer the big thick bone-in chop. Maybe I can convert her?

Quick aside - pork, the other white meat? NO! We have a friend who is allergic to red meat. Imagine! He carries an EpiPen with him on out of town trips. Pork can kill him. Apparently he got bit by a tick as an adult and it caused some crazy reaction in him. Beware of ticks lest you lose your red meat!!!

Do you sear after? Can't imagine getting good flavor out of steaming.

Absolutely give it a serious sear after getting meat to optimum temp. Very high temp to get quick sear without too much time to do a lot more cooking of interior. I cook a good bit, but this is still new to me. It's like black magic for getting a meat entree just right. As NoSaint said, it feels like cheating!

Do you sear after? Can't imagine getting good flavor out of steaming.

they do.

Its still unnatural zombie cooking.

perfect lacks personality.

ha.

Does the method work just as well for fatty cuts as lean?

I love to crisp the edge on a strip steak then move it to the "cool " side.

Absolutely give it a serious sear after getting meat to optimum temp. Very high temp to get quick sear without too much time to do a lot more cooking of interior. I cook a good bit, but this is still new to me. It's like black magic for getting a meat entree just right. As NoSaint said, it feels like cheating!

Welle Bellicheat seems comfortable with cheating as long as his guest have a perfect steak/ winning season

ouch I said that !!

:nana: