Best one hit wonder?

I didn't realize that back story. very cool!

Not many people realize that it is autobiographical. The song is about Gerry trying to extract himself from his previous band stealers wheel and it took three years of legal fighting to be able to write music again. He stayed with a friend on Baker Street and this was his attempt to capture that experience (along with his struggles with alcohol).

The answer is yes if you go by common definitions. However in my examples Baker Street would be excluded because he had other songs that charted, but Layla would be included. I think Layla would be a choice that misses the spirit of the question. Baker Street is so !@#$ing epic that nothing he did in any capacity compares to that hit.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh man, another song that i absolutely love...it has such a cool sound, and Bijou Drains on bass guitar....he was such an under-appreciated musician :w00t:

Something in the air, by Thunder Clap Newman

Edited by The Poojer

cut him some slack...he's canadian

Pic that mic up, because come Monday it'll be alright, come Monday I'll be holding you tight

And I like mine w lettuce and tomato Heinz 57 and French fried potatoes.

Come on man.

cut him some slack...he's canadian

Then as an American I will offer up Tom Sawyer.

I didn't realize that back story. very cool!

If you read the lyrics through the prism of a musician who experienced immediate success, only to have an ugly band breakup, an embargo on making new music for years, fighting lawyers daily and staying in a friend's house on Baker Street - the song takes new life.

"Another year and then you'll be happy... just one more year and then you'll be happy..."

Then of course, the rebirth at the end. This was his first song post legal battles.

:lol:

Then as an American I will offer up Tom Sawyer.

If you read the lyrics through the prism of a musician who experienced immediate success, only to have an ugly band breakup, an embargo on making new music for years, fighting lawyers daily and staying in a friend's house on Baker Street - the song takes new life.

"Another year and then you'll be happy... just one more year and then you'll be happy..."

Then of course, the rebirth at the end. This was his first song post legal battles.

XM had a station on for a few months earlier this year called "onederland" with nothing but one hit wonder songs. I loved it. Unfortunately they stopped it as it was just for a short time. I think less than a month but I wish they'd bring it back. So many songs that brought back memories that you probably forgot about.