Brexit

Brexit  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will Great Britain vote to leave the EU

2. 2. Should Great Britain vote to leave the EU

3. 3. Should the new version of TSW allow animated Hypnotoad Avatars

Narrative fail............

Cl5ZuPgXEAA7TXL.jpg

Glenn Reynolds USA Today column: Britain’s forgotten voters — and ours.

Cl5WweYWQAAEPsd.jpg

Citizens of the World’? Nice Thought, But …

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/06/26/citizens-of-the-world-nice-thought-but/

Bernie Sanders: Mainstream media "far removed from the reality of where many American people are" http://hill.cm/VV4Gzlq

He's right.

At least you didnt call me a liberal!

Oh, please.

Anyone who spends any time here knows how you, yourself, came onto this board: labeling YOURSELF as a Republican who left the party.

Let that sink in long enough before you whine again with your whole "this board loves to label" crap.

As a side note, we don't call you a liberal. We call mock you as a lifelong liberal who everyone knows was never, ever, ever a Republican.

Edited by LABillzFan

Many young voters are angry that their plans to backpack through Europe and study abroad using their "free" education is in jeopardy. They're worried that the "free" benefits will be cut off, and think it's unfair that the older generation is forcing the real world onto them too soon.

It's amazing how many Europeans (of all ages) feel that the young are entitled to live incredibly pampered lives (paid for by tax payers), until they enter the work force themselves. Many are shocked that teenagers in America actually try to work and attend school at the same time.

I am in Europe often and don't find your analysis reflective of the thinking. While some Europeans are surprised that Americans push kids to college fast and workplace faster, they believe there backpacking, as you say, is a really good way to open minds.

The old voters in there UK voted Brexit mostly as a referendum on immigration.

The right had a little momentum with Mitt to win the immigration dialog in the US but has now fallen into a racist pigeonhole behind Trump. The Brexit vote follows the same rationale.

When all the old people die, these issues will self correct.

Edited by Observer

I am in Europe often and don't find your analysis reflective of the thinking. While some Europeans are surprised that Americans push kids to college fast and workplace faster, they believe there backpacking, as you say, is a really good way to open minds. Which is what I said. They want their youth to have pampered (mind-opening... lol) carefree lives.

The old voters in there UK voted Brexit mostly as a referendum on immigration.

The right had a little momentum with Mitt to win the immigration dialog in the US but has now fallen into a racist pigeonhole behind Trump. The Brexit vote follows the same rationale.

When all the old people die, these issues will self correct.

I agree that, the older generation voted (mostly)because of immigration. ... but many of the younger generation believe it was really about austerity (and senility, racism, etc). They feel that their parents spent their college fund.

The self-correcting theory has been proposed for decades, but never happens because reality smacks each generation in the face. Everyone likes the "free" stuff, until they get a job and have to pay for it.

UK STUDENTS COMPLAIN ABOUT BREXIT: “A really important decision was made for us by the older generation” . . . “Essentially people much, much older than us — and who won’t be around for the consequences — are giving us a future we don’t want.”

On Facebook, Richard Fernandez’s response is brutal:

Essentially people much older than you gave you what you now take for granted. They won World War 2, fueled the great boom, walked through the valley of the shadow of nuclear death — and had you.

You didn’t make the present, nor as you now complain, are you making the future. No children, no national defense, no love of God or country.

But that’s just it. You’ve brainwashed yourselves into thinking someone else: the old, the older, the government, the dead would always do things for you.

If you learn anything from Brexit, learn that nobody got anywhere expecting someone to do things for him.

Ouch.

And by the way, 58% of 25-34 year-olds voted Leave.................... SkyData.

are they the "old" people.

Another narrative wrong.

Edited by B-Man

If this was happening anywhere else, the past few days would probably be hilarious.

The Tories are going nuts (the 'Stop Boris' campaign is afoot), Labour are going nuts (11 resigned from the Shadow Cabinet, 1 sacked). The Remain campaigners don't want democracy because it doesn't suit them. Morons publically admitting they jokingly voted Leave (who should be shot on sight). It won't matter what happens in October, there might be nobody left by then.

Edited by Blokestradamus

UK STUDENTS COMPLAIN ABOUT BREXIT: A really important decision was made for us by the older generation . . . Essentially people much, much older than us and who wont be around for the consequences are giving us a future we dont want.

On Facebook, Richard Fernandezs response is brutal:

Essentially people much older than you gave you what you now take for granted. They won World War 2, fueled the great boom, walked through the valley of the shadow of nuclear death and had you.

You didnt make the present, nor as you now complain, are you making the future. No children, no national defense, no love of God or country.

But thats just it. Youve brainwashed yourselves into thinking someone else: the old, the older, the government, the dead would always do things for you.

If you learn anything from Brexit, learn that nobody got anywhere expecting someone to do things for him.

Ouch.

And by the way, 58% of 25-34 year-olds voted Leave.................... SkyData.

are they the "old" people.

Another narrative wrong.

The WWII "generation" didn't carry this vote. There are barely any of them left, and that is a shame, but it's also a mathmatical fact.

I see two polls showing 56 and 58% of 25-49 voted stay. Link

I see the SKy Data data too. Goes to show how crappy UK polling data is. If you look at the link, the trend is clear so I'd be surprised to see the 18-49 demo voted as Sky Data calculated.

Edited by Observer

The WWII "generation" didn't carry this vote. There are barely any of them left, and that is a shame, but it's also a mathmatical fact.

I see two polls showing 56 and 58% of 25-49 voted stay. Link

I see the SKy Data data too. Goes to show how crappy UK polling data is. If you look at the link, the trend is clear so I'd be surprised to see the 18-49 demo voted as Sky Data calculated.

ouch. the angry uk working class just screwed everyone including themselves. i get the anger but suicide is not the solution. ww2 generation would have sucked it up and pushed someone willing to buck the establishment while having an actual plan to fix the mess we are in...and it wouldn't be trump.

i rarely empathize with millennials but in this case i do:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/06/24/british-millennials-like-me-are-the-real-losers-in-the-brexit-vote/?postshare=1071466995568470&tid=ss_fb-bottom

Over the course of a single night, baby boomers have rejected expert opinion and torn apart my generation’s future. Why? Because a vague notion of making our country “great again,” combined with an infectious hysteria about immigration, was enough to convince them that things have to change. They were so convinced, in fact, that they were happy to vote for Leave without any definition of what “great” looks like, and no road map to actually achieving it.

Edited by birdog1960

ouch. the angry uk working class just screwed everyone including themselves. i get the anger but suicide is not the solution. ww2 generation would have sucked it up and pushed someone willing to buck the establishment while having an actual plan to fix the mess we are in...and it wouldn't be trump.

i rarely empathize with millennials but in this case i do:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/06/24/british-millennials-like-me-are-the-real-losers-in-the-brexit-vote/?postshare=1071466995568470&tid=ss_fb-bottom

Over the course of a single night, baby boomers have rejected expert opinion and torn apart my generation’s future. Why? Because a vague notion of making our country “great again,” combined with an infectious hysteria about immigration, was enough to convince them that things have to change. They were so convinced, in fact, that they were happy to vote for Leave without any definition of what “great” looks like, and no road map to actually achieving it.

Sounds like they have got their own infectious hysteria going around themselves.

Could the polls not really be accurate because people are afraid to answer because of the doom and gloom decreed by the remain crowd?

Also since when do we count on 18-24 year olds to have informative all knowing opinions of how the world should be run? Why isn't the story "18-24 year olds whining about how they are being overridden by 25-100 year olds"?

Edit: They also think they are the only ones who work in the global markets:

"There’s a natural divide between generations around the world: There are those of us who grew up with the Internet, and those whose lives go largely unaffected by anything digital or global in nature. We’ve grown up believing in a future that transcends national borders because we experience that world in our work, interests and social lives online. Today, the future we imagined was stolen from us."

Damn when did we raise such a condescending and whiney generation? Oh that's right, they are 18-24 years old....I see some tweets and comments saying 16-17 year olds should've been able to vote :lol:

"Decades of uncertainty and political chaos have been unleashed by a generation of voters that barely possesses the digital literacy to use a USB stick correctly'

Edit 2: Oh is it really true only half of them voted too? :lol: I don't know what choice would've turned out best in the long run, but you can't make this stuff up.

Edited by What a Tuel

Brexit Reaction: Damn the People
by John Fund
Those on the left often champion the cause of “power to the people.” That is, until the people decide to go in a direction contrary to their wishes. The decision of 52 percent of Britain’s voters to defy their political establishment has unleashed a torrent of abuse against those voters.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437158/brexit-reaction-damn-people-say-eu-supporters
Brexit and the End of International Progressive Inevitability
by David French
Britain’s Welcome Revival of Nationhood
by George Will

What better evidence do you need ?

Liberals push for democracy until the people vote conservative

Cameron was the conservative leader and he was solidly against brexit :doh: this isn't cons vs liberals. it's smart versus stupid.

It's stupid to vote out of an undemocratic union where sovereignty is completely ignored?

it's stupid to commit economic hari kari in the midst of already turbulent and precarious economic times. these people apparently think things can't get worse for them they are mistaken.

Edited by birdog1960

Cameron was the conservative leader and he was solidly against brexit :doh: this isn't cons vs liberals. it's smart versus stupid.

Comprehension please.

My comment about Liberals was clearly about the WAPO reaction, not who voted for what.