MMQB: Rex + Rob: The Battling (and Babbling) Buffalo Bros

yep, think I hit the nail on the head:

Simple Definition of abysmal
  • : extremely poor or bad

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

Are you sure you're thinking of the 2012 defense? Because if that's what you thought the 2015 defense was...well, let's just say I'm surprised you survived the Wannstadt debacle.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, think I hit the nail on the head:

Simple Definition of abysmal
  • : extremely poor or bad

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

The problem with that is the D was NOT extremely poor or bad.....it simply did not meet the expectations of a top 5 defense

It was middle of the pack in most areas

The problem with that is the D was NOT extremely poor or bad.....it simply did not meet the expectations of a top 5 defense

It was middle of the pack in most areas

What I'm trying to say is from the level of play we were at to how we played was extremely poor.

Are you sure you're thinking of the 2012 defense? Because if that's what you thought the 2015 defense was...well, let's just say I'm surprised you survived the Wannstadt debacle.

What are you talking about?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I'm not dismissing the possibility that Rob had some legitimate complaints how things went down in NO. But what is to be gained at this point engaging on his Saint experience when he now is employed by another team? Even if someone else brought up the topic the best response should have been that there is no benefit in discussing the past and that he is fully invested in the now and future.

I'm not suggesting that this back and forth between him and Payton is much of an issue. But he stirred up some back and forth finger pointing when if he could have just said no comment. That it would have been a more prudent response. Both brothers are more comfortable loosely talking than they are at thinking through what they intend to say.

This is what they are.

From who speaks a similar way, you might as well get used to it.

One of my Buds who i recently am working working with again after 15 years or so made some comment about my being forthright in even my social comments and confidence during work hours. With management etc.

I have one life and i am going to have fun doing what i do.

screw the non believers.

: )

Can we swim laps there?

how do you feel about Nile Crocodiles? and South American piranha fishies.

Of course you could swim laps.

just short and quick ones. at your own risk

no middle ground. there needs to be dividing lines so we know who is on what team of thought.

Edited by 3rdand12

This is what they are.

From who speaks a similar way, you might as well get used to it.

One of my Buds who i recently am working working with again after 15 years or so made some comment about my being forthright in even my social comments and confidence during work hours. With management etc.

I have one life and i am going to have fun doing what i do.

screw the non believers.

: )

no middle ground. there needs to be dividing lines so we know who is on what team of thought.

I was a nonbeliever before he came here and a more confirmed nonbeliever since he has come. The problem with Rex is that his never ending bull **** without the production to back it up is tiresome. :thumbdown:

Right. I don't believe Ryan 100% -- heck, probably not even 60% -- but there appears to be at least some truth to his comments.

The best part about Rob joining the Bills, if you're a glass-half-full kind of guy, is that he's not directly responsible for running an entire unit. He can be given specific projects upon which to focus such as game-planning and film study, and won't have the burden of being an "organizer." He's got a consultant/guru sort of role, which may wind up being very valuable to Rex.

The bottom line on the Ryans is that they really need to simply STFU and start delivering the goods.

Rex is already persona non grata by many, one more playoff-less season and no one will want him around. Adding Rob is just another move just like talking more, it means nothing unless they deliver the goods. Unfortunately for them neither has delivered the goods recently, and when Rex did he had the likes of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in their prime. All of our ILBs and Ss together don't equal those legendary two.

In fact, I don't see how anyone can possibly say that the defense has more talent now than it did last year. Oh sure, we all get the argument about Mario, but right now with Shaq out, and we will have other D injuries like every other team, we're equal at best, likely worse. McKelvin wasn't a huge loss but Bradham was, not because he's that good, he isn't, but because we have so precious little solid depth at OLB. I mean when they start talking about how Manny Lawson is going to have to have a big year it's time to worry.

I was a nonbeliever before he came here and a more confirmed nonbeliever since he has come. The problem with Rex is that his never ending bull **** without the production to back it up is tiresome. :thumbdown:

If that ain't the truth. And hiring his brother is just more of the sme bull **** in action form, not word form.

I'd put big money on that no one's going to want to see them around Buffalo in 2017. Hope I'm wrong, and last year I was as into Ryan as Kelly was, but we were wrong, Jets fans were right.

Actually, i have no idea what to expect. :thumbsup:

The bottom line on the Ryans is that they really need to simply STFU and start delivering the goods.

Rex is already persona non grata by many, one more playoff-less season and no one will want him around. Adding Rob is just another move just like talking more, it means nothing unless they deliver the goods. Unfortunately for them neither has delivered the goods recently, and when Rex did he had the likes of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in their prime. All of our ILBs and Ss together don't equal those legendary two.

In fact, I don't see how anyone can possibly say that the defense has more talent now than it did last year. Oh sure, we all get the argument about Mario, but right now with Shaq out, and we will have other D injuries like every other team, we're equal at best, likely worse. McKelvin wasn't a huge loss but Bradham was, not because he's that good, he isn't, but because we have so precious little solid depth at OLB. I mean when they start talking about how Manny Lawson is going to have to have a big year it's time to worry.

If that ain't the truth. And hiring his brother is just more of the sme bull **** in action form, not word form.

I'd put big money on that no one's going to want to see them around Buffalo in 2017. Hope I'm wrong, and last year I was as into Ryan as Kelly was, but we were wrong, Jets fans were right.

Ok, anyone who says (and truly believes) the Ryans will ever just "STFU" simply hasn't been paying attention. That's not who they are, and it's not who they'll ever be. I don't understand why folks continue to bring it up as if it will suddenly occur. Quit hoping for it -- it ain't gonna happen.

If Rex can't lead the Bills to the playoffs -- regardless of what he says or doesn't say -- he won't be retained. It's that simple. All of this blustering by fans about how he's "persona non grata" is absolutely meaningless.

Last year is a wash. Rex effed up, some of the players effed up, and there were other factors (key injuries) as well. Let's watch 2016 play out and then make our assessments...is that fair?

Actually, i have no idea what to expect. :thumbsup:

What I fear is what I expect from this blustering and blubbering HC. It's not surprising to me that the Jets took a quantum leap forward with the departure of their former loquacious HC and the addition of a more mature and focused HC. One of the most important things that a HC can do is set the tone and create the climate for the team to work in. With Rex there is always the commotion swirling around him that he revels in. His self-centered act is not only childish but it is boring to me.

What I fear is what I expect from this blustering and blubbering HC. It's not surprising to me that the Jets took a quantum leap forward with the departure of their former loquacious HC and the addition of a more mature and focused HC. One of the most important things that a HC can do is set the tone and create the climate for the team to work in. With Rex there is always the commotion swirling around him that he revels in. His self-centered act is not only childish but it is boring to me.

I think the Jets took a quantum leap forward, more for their schedule and addition of talent (Marshall, Revis, Fitz, etc.) as opposed to Todd Bowles. Bowles still made plenty of coaching gaffs and when they needed to win a game to get into the playoffs, they couldn't.

That doesn't mean Rex isn't a blustering and blubbering HC but I'm not so sure Bowles did much of anything last year. The test for the Jets will be this year with a much tougher schedule.

Rex really is an odd head coach.

Some days he has a great game plan in place which results in a great performances by his defenses.(Jets game 1 and Patriots game 2.) Other days it's as if he has no clue what's going on which makes me wonder about preparation during some weeks vs other weeks.( Games that mean more to him then others)

The thing I have observed about Rex is that he lacks discipline on and off the field. There is a charm to his spontaneity when he talks because he says what he feels. But there is a downside to being so unguarded because he lacks the filter that prevents repercussions from comments that weren't thought through.

Rex is a very prideful person and takes things personally. He is in a business that invites an inexhaustible supply of criticisms no matter what you do. What I have noticed about him is that when he is challenged/criticized he gets more focused and determined but then that focus seems to wane as time goes by. (Your observation that Rex seems to be inconsistent is a real keen observation and is a hallmark of his coaching career.)

If you want to understand who Rex is as a person then you need to know his father, Buddy Ryan. His father was loud, a braggart and fostered the image as a tough guy. When he became a HC in Philly he took it by storm by his bombast. Predictably his bark didn't match his record. You know the saying: Like father like son.

I think the Jets took a quantum leap forward, more for their schedule and addition of talent (Marshall, Revis, Fitz, etc.) as opposed to Todd Bowles. Bowles still made plenty of coaching gaffs and when they needed to win a game to get into the playoffs, they couldn't.

That doesn't mean Rex isn't a blustering and blubbering HC but I'm not so sure Bowles did much of anything last year. The test for the Jets will be this year with a much tougher schedule.

All teams add and discard players year to year. That is the nature of the system. It is often brought up that the Jets added talent so their new coach had an advantage that the old coach didn't have. That isn't the case here because when Rex came to the Bills he took over a team that had a good defense and the GM dedicated the offseason to bolstering the offense.

Overall, Rex had a losing record with the Jets culminating in a four win season before being fired. Todd Bowles may have made a lot of gaffs (in hindsight all coaches do) but there is no doubt that he created an environment of accountability and discipline that was lacking under Rex. To put it in simplistic terms: Bowles took over a descending team (4 wins previous year) and turned them into an ascending team (10 wins) while Rex took over an ascending team (improved offense with credible qbing) and had them unquestionably underachieve.

The thing I have observed about Rex is that he lacks discipline on and off the field. There is a charm to his spontaneity when he talks because he says what he feels. But there is a downside to being so unguarded because he lacks the filter that prevents repercussions from comments that weren't thought through.

Rex is a very prideful person and takes things personally. He is in a business that invites an inexhaustible supply of criticisms no matter what you do. What I have noticed about him is that when he is challenged/criticized he gets more focused and determined but then that focus seems to wane as time goes by. (Your observation that Rex seems to be inconsistent is a real keen observation and is a hallmark of his coaching career.)

If you want to understand who Rex is as a person then you need to know his father, Buddy Ryan. His father was loud, a braggart and fostered the image as a tough guy. When he became a HC in Philly he took it by storm by his bombast. Predictably his bark didn't match his record. You know the saying: Like father like son.

The first half has me hopeful that he might have a real hot streak this year still- but I don't foresee consistency long term

The first half has me hopeful that he might have a real hot streak this year still- but I don't foresee consistency long term

When you bring in a Rex you get Rex. That is what I am lamenting. It was an impetuous hire and an odd hire.

When you bring in a Rex you get Rex. That is what I am lamenting. It was an impetuous hire and an odd hire.

The first sentence is 110% true.

I will not lament it till this season plays out.

But believe me, i have no qualms with turning my back on him if the product on the field does not show signs of stability, and progress on defense.

My guess is the D will look much better.

as mentioned, will it be consistent?

The first sentence is 110% true.

I will not lament it till this season plays out.

But believe me, i have no qualms with turning my back on him if the product on the field does not show signs of stability, and progress on defense.

My guess is the D will look much better.

as mentioned, will it be consistent?

He himself is not so stable. He's frenetic. He's hyper. His teams exhibit the same qualities. If you're looking for stable I think you'll be disappointed.

He himself is not so stable. He's frenetic. He's hyper. His teams exhibit the same qualities. If you're looking for stable I think you'll be disappointed.

I was trying to get across that i have no problem watching Rex leave if he cannot settle the the defense down.

Rex's personality is another matter. Thats why head Coaches hires asst and Position Coaches. To get the X's and O's and concepts in place. Be sure they are executed.

Thats is what makes a good head Coach. Hope Rex is learning that.

He may be overwound but that does not directly equate to the team's performance does it ?

Edited by 3rdand12