The equally annoying "Obnoxiously Obtuse Optimists"

You say potato, I say potato. Of course we need to build a great team. But my point is that unless we draft a magic bullet of a QB, or Brady retires or his level of play drops off severely, we're going to have a hard time getting past the Pats, who happen to have one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

Waiting for Brady or anyone else to retire is not the answer and never will be! The Seahawks went ahead and built a great team and didn't care what the 49ers were doing. Same thing with the Cardinals who took the division last year in the toughest division in the league. In 2013 in the Cards hire Bruce Arians after a 5-11 season under Whisenhunt and then go 10-6 in his first year and 11-5 the next to 13-3 last year.

Putting a top football mind at the top of the Bills org and allowing him to make all the football decisions should be the way to building a great team in Buffalo was my point.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Gunner on Shaq--I had him as a top-15 talent.

He's not a quick-twitch guy, but I actually think he'll be a very good pass rusher/EDGE guy in the NFL. I think he compares well with Terrell Suggs actually. Both were 20+ TFL guys as Seniors, both are in the 270-lb range, both played up/down/in/out, etc. They also had very similar combine numbers: both had 33" vertical and 120-inch broad. Suggs pressed 19 reps; Shaq didn't press because of the shoulder, but it would shock me if he weren't in the same realm. Suggs had a slower 40, but that's useless when evaluating front-7 guys (just ask Clowney).

If he turns out to be at the level of Suggs......Whaley has done a fine job. The thing that people dont seem to realize is that pass rushers that JUST rely on first step and speed are often nutralized if a OL gets their hands on them because they become out matched in power.....this is not the case with Shaq....he can match power with OL and knows hand placement to gain leverage....he is not JUST a speed guy which is actually a good thing

This allows the bills to also move him inside on certain defenses and not just be a outside rusher.

Does anyone else think that a fully functional 100 percent shoulder might actually make him an even BETTER player? He was already pretty good.

and what if he runs a 5-2? Rex has also used this scheme. That is why he keeps saying "multiple"

Ryan ran his 3-4, two-gap run-stopping scheme the majority of the time last season and was the reason for the lack of sacks / QB pressures. His stating that the team will be switching to mostly a 3-4 and looking at the first two players drafted this year also confirm that. Yes, he will use multiple fronts and schemes but unless he starts calling a whole lot more blitzes this season I kinda doubt anyone on the Buffalo Bills with have more then six sacks.

Edited by Nihilarian

Ryan ran his 3-4, two-gap run-stopping scheme the majority of the time last season and was the reason for the lack of sacks / QB pressures. His stating that the team will be switching to mostly a 3-4 and looking at the first two players drafted this year also confirm that. Yes, he will use multiple fronts and schemes but unless he starts calling a whole lot more blitzes this season I kinda doubt anyone on the Buffalo Bills with have more them six sacks.

I just dont want to talk in absolutes until I actually see what is put on the field.....

He didnt draft a NT.....which to me means he might not be "fully pregnanat" to the 3-4

I just dont want to talk in absolutes until I actually see what is put on the field.....

He didnt draft a NT.....which to me means he might not be "fully pregnanat" to the 3-4

I think Marcell Dareus will be the man to play NT for the Bills this year.

You gotta look at what happened last season to the league's best sacking team from the year previous. The 2015 Buffalo Bills set a 50+ year franchise low with 21 sacks under Rex Ryan and the only time a Bills team had fewer sacks was in a strike year. So, I'm not wasting my time thinking about how many sacks the 2016 Buffalo Bills might have after witnessing the debacle of the 2015 Bills defense.

Then Lawson might not even see the field for Buffalo in 2016 until mid-Oct / mid-Nov according to Schefter. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15564183/buffalo-bills-get-bad-news-shaq-lawson-sammy-watkins

I'm not sure if I'm an OOO or a NNN.

For 4 or 5 years in a row, I predicted 7-9 finishes until succumbing to the Kool-Aid last year and predicting 10-6. This year I'm waffling between 9-7 and 8-8.

Though I don't typically predict a winning record, I confess that I have in different posts defended Russ, Marv, DW and Rex - as well as almost any QB to line up under center in a Bills uni.

Truth be told, I may have even defended Dick Juaron once or twice. And, as painful as it is to admit, it's possible I embraced the hiring of St. Doug.

Fandom, it seems, can wreak havoc on objective, analytical thinking.

You gotta look at what happened last season to the league's best sacking team from the year previous. The 2015 Buffalo Bills set a 50+ year franchise low with 21 sacks under Rex Ryan and the only time a Bills team had fewer sacks was in a strike year. So, I'm not wasting my time thinking about how many sacks the 2016 Buffalo Bills might have after witnessing the debacle of the 2015 Bills defense.

Then Lawson might not even see the field for Buffalo in 2016 until mid-Oct / mid-Nov according to Schefter. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15564183/buffalo-bills-get-bad-news-shaq-lawson-sammy-watkins

That would be a colossal waste of Dareus's talent and the Pegulas' money invested in it.

That would be a waste of a 100 million dollar player

i have no doubt that Marcel will play "some" nose for the RR defense

You know...one thing that is not talked about here.....Pettine was RR's pupil......the guy that people love so much because of the huge sack year he produced 2 season's ago......schemes aside the only thing that is different between Pettine and Rex is Rex cares about stopping the run as well while Pettine could care less.

We are in year TWO of the RR defense......I want to see what is put on the field before I pass judgement

That would be a waste of a 100 million dollar player

i have no doubt that Marcel will play "some" nose for the RR defense

You know...one thing that is not talked about here.....Pettine was RR's pupil......the guy that people love so much because of the huge sack year he produced 2 season's ago......schemes aside the only thing that is different between Pettine and Rex is Rex cares about stopping the run as well while Pettine could care less.

We are in year TWO of the RR defense......I want to see what is put on the field before I pass judgement

Another difference between Pettine and Rex is that Pettine has fielded a top 10 D in the last 4 years. And it only took him one year.

?

That made absolutely no sense

He means in the last 4 seasons Pettine has had a top 10 ranked D and Rex hasn't and Petting achieved it in his first (and only) year in Buffalo. He didn't require two seasons to fit his own personnel and get everyone to be "all in".

He means in the last 4 seasons Pettine has had a top 10 ranked D and Rex hasn't and Petting achieved it in his first (and only) year in Buffalo. He didn't require two seasons to fit his own personnel and get everyone to be "all in".

One of them as a HC and one of them as a DC?

Do you not think that Rex Ryan's concern for run defense and Pettine's complete LACK of concern for run defense had anything to do with this at all?

Waiting for Brady or anyone else to retire is not the answer and never will be! The Seahawks went ahead and built a great team and didn't care what the 49ers were doing. Same thing with the Cardinals who took the division last year in the toughest division in the league. In 2013 in the Cards hire Bruce Arians after a 5-11 season under Whisenhunt and then go 10-6 in his first year and 11-5 the next to 13-3 last year.

Putting a top football mind at the top of the Bills org and allowing him to make all the football decisions should be the way to building a great team in Buffalo was my point.

Perfectly valid opinion about the value of a football czar, but our friends in Arizona and Seattle don't have to get past a QB close to Brady's talent to win the division. Until something drastically changes with the QB situation in NE and/or Buff, we're going to struggle getting past the Pats, even if we bring the ghost of Vince Lombardi to run football ops. If we find our own Brady (or Newton, or Rogers), it's a different story, and your football czar may help in that. Then again, he may not.

What? Of course it does. Pettine has fielded a top 10 D more recently that Rex, and he didn't take two years of growing pains to do it.

No, you are right 9th in points per game in 2014, and 29th in 2015. He is awesome but Rex sucks right!?

Edited by What a Tuel

I'm with Gunner on Shaq--I had him as a top-15 talent.

He's not a quick-twitch guy, but I actually think he'll be a very good pass rusher/EDGE guy in the NFL. I think he compares well with Terrell Suggs actually. Both were 20+ TFL guys as Seniors, both are in the 270-lb range, both played up/down/in/out, etc. They also had very similar combine numbers: both had 33" vertical and 120-inch broad. Suggs pressed 19 reps; Shaq didn't press because of the shoulder, but it would shock me if he weren't in the same realm. Suggs had a slower 40, but that's useless when evaluating front-7 guys (just ask Clowney).

Curious how you - and Gunner - compare Shaq with Bosa. I'll hang up and listen. Just curious, as i don't "watch film" and just "watch games."