Breaking Down Kolby Listenbee as More than a Deep Threat

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trait-based analysis of rookie WR Kolby Listenbee. I think he has the skills to potentially develop into more than *just* a deep threat. GIFs are included as always to support my thoughts, so as always, I'd love to hear yours!

http://buildingtheherd.com/scout-team/kolby-listenbee-bills/

Good read.

My favorite thing about Listenbee's game is his body control, so it was nice to see you highlight that.

I'm hopeful that he can be a chess piece that can play 10-15 snaps/game on offense and force opposing DCs to account for him in the way that Goodwin couldn't do on a consistent basis.

Good read.

My favorite thing about Listenbee's game is his body control, so it was nice to see you highlight that.

I'm hopeful that he can be a chess piece that can play 10-15 snaps/game on offense and force opposing DCs to account for him in the way that Goodwin couldn't do on a consistent basis.

well, actually being on the field is already something Glasswin couldn't do. So there's that.

trait-based analysis of rookie WR Kolby Listenbee. I think he has the skills to potentially develop into more than *just* a deep threat. GIFs are included as always to support my thoughts, so as always, I'd love to hear yours!

http://buildingtheherd.com/scout-team/kolby-listenbee-bills/

Nice job again Quinn, I enjoyed reading that and agree that he has the potential to be more, for the reasons you wrote about: the speed, being able to track the ball, ability to play off his strengths and run counter type vertical routes, and his footwork at full speed is exceptionally smooth. He certainly has things to work on like running a fuller route tree but.. .

The thing that gives me hope for him to more was illustrated in the Iowa St. gif where Listenbee runs the slant. Its not that he ran a slant, but how he ran it: he stemmed the route and pressed the CB's outside shoulder (the CB has to respect the vertical route and Listenbee plays it perfectly) and as soon as the CB opened his hips, BAM!, Listenbee plants his foot and is inside the corner wide open, shoulders perpendicular to the LOS and ready to receive the ball. To top it off, the pass is off target and Listenbee adjusts at full speed takes a quick step up field which is hard to do at full speed and catches the ball behind him, which is also incredibly hard to do. Most receivers would not make that subtle adjustment with the ball in the air and the ball would likely go through their finger tips or be just outside their reach for an incompletion. Thats an NFL route, with an NFL caliber catch.

He was a late round target of mine for the Bills, as his speed is a fantastic complement to Watkins and allows Woods to slide inside to the slot and play to his strengths as well on long passing downs and when they want to go to "11" personnel packages in general. He has developmental potential for sure and I love that he can play to his strengths early and not have to play a lot while learning to run the route tree.

Edited by P51

Those throws are ridiculous. Boykin is going to be a good backup. Wish we got him.

Listenbee needs a ton of work on route running. Hes leaning and telegraphing where he's going. He got by on pure speed. He showed good body control on some of those catches though so that's a good sign that he understands how to use his body to box out the defender. If he could watch Sammy's footwork and learn how to be a complete receiver he might be a good one. (Sammy vs Revis on that 3rd and short was absolutely bonkers)

Nice job again Quinn, I enjoyed reading that and agree that he has the potential to be more, for the reasons you wrote about: the speed, being able to track the ball, ability to play off his strengths and run counter type vertical routes, and his footwork at full speed is exceptionally smooth. He certainly has things to work on like running a fuller route tree but.. .

The thing that gives me hope for him to more was illustrated in the Iowa St. gif where Listenbee runs the slant. Its not that he ran a slant, but how he ran it: he stemmed the route and pressed the CB's outside shoulder (the CB has to respect the vertical route and Listenbee plays it perfectly) and as soon as the CB opened his hips, BAM!, Listenbee plants his foot and is inside the corner wide open, shoulders perpendicular to the LOS and ready to receive the ball. To top it off, the pass is off target and Listenbee adjusts at full speed takes a quick step up field which is hard to do at full speed and catches the ball behind him, which is also incredibly hard to do. Most receivers would not make that subtle adjustment with the ball in the air and the ball would likely go through their finger tips or be just outside their reach for an incompletion. Thats an NFL route, with an NFL caliber catch.

He was a late round target of mine for the Bills, as his speed is a fantastic complement to Watkins and allows Woods to slide inside to the slot and play to his strengths as well on long passing downs and when they want to go to "11" personnel packages in general. He has developmental potential for sure and I love that he can play to his strengths early and not have to play a lot while learning to run the route tree.

Don't forget developing his blocking--he won't see a significant number of snaps weekly until Roman feels comfortable with him blocking on running plays.

Nice job, Rob.

I'm excited but also cautious. Lots of rookies look good in their college highlight reels. How many times have we heard, for example, of young QBs who can 'make all the throws' but actually can't - not with consistency - not in the NFL.

The only thing I'm convinced about with Listenbee is that he has NFL speed, and then some. Is the rest of his skill set up to NFL standards? For me the answer is: wait and see.

I'll say publicly what I've already said in private. RQ is a great addition to TSW who brings in-depth content to give us all a greater understanding of Buffalo Bills football. :beer:

This.

Good read, OP. If he can stay healthy and improve his route running, he may prove quite useful. I just hope its not another guy to simply run straight down the field every pass play though.

Don't forget developing his blocking--he won't see a significant number of snaps weekly until Roman feels comfortable with him blocking on running plays.

:beer: Duly noted, excellent point!

He'll have a good mentor in the route running and run blocking department for at least a year, hopefully he'll benefit from it.

This.

Good read, OP. If he can stay healthy and improve his route running, he may prove quite useful. I just hope its not another guy to simply run straight down the field every pass play though.

He could be quite useful by simply running straight down the field every pass play.

:beer: Duly noted, excellent point!

He'll have a good mentor in the route running and run blocking department for at least a year, hopefully he'll benefit from it.

WR coach Sanjay Lal is a stickler for route running details so he'll be tutored very well.

What gives me hope is that he shows the potential to catch contested balls....doesn't do it consistently, but is pretty well covered in some of those clips. I am not sure that Goodwin or Graham have caught a contested ball yet.

Yeah, he's no "Stone Hands" Graham :thumbsup:

I appreciate Mr Quinns work as usual. Thank you Sir!

And then some of the commentary here. Such as yours p51.

Feel pretty strongly this Kolby is going to add value to the team. Only question for me is how soon.

Was quite delighted when the pick was announced , I think the Kid can play football !