The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

Yes, I called eMoulds' first post about Lawson a "dick move" -- not going to shy away from it. I have my opinion about the how and why people who have inside info should share it. First and foremost, the fact they come here to share info in the first place speaks to their integrity if the information is not meant to be shared -- so why, again, should we congratulate such people?

You're a boor, and a bully at the same time. You post enough gibberish about schemes and systems that many believe you to be a guru -- in reality, you're just another slob with too much time on his hands posting on a message board.

The fact you call optimists "depressed with low self esteem" tells me a great deal about your own demeanor.

You're probably the old guy who used to sit behind me at the games bitching about every play -- in the early 90s. Miserable SOB, but I'm sure he called himself a realist as well.

Have a great day and Go Bills.

You didn't WANT that inside info on Shaq?

I think I speak for the entire board when I say, if you don't like someone posting correct inside info, please don't say anything. 99.9% of us actually appreciate the tips.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said and very accurate! Their zeal approaches a religious level. Like the members of the Church of Scientology cult's reaction to nonbelievers. If you are not a practicing member of the Holy Church of Pegula, you are obviously an evil Satanist who needs to be cut down.

Here's an idea: instead of returning fire, which in turn makes some folks look equal and opposite in their zealotry, why not engage the plentiful number of people that ARE willing to discuss the merits of the apparent "dissenting" opinion?

BREAKING: James Holmes, the guy who killed all those people at the Batman movie, used to post links 24-7 on a Broncos board.

I take back everything I said, PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME!

24-7 or not, I'll put my contributions here up against yours on any day. Like I posted earlier, you are a zero and a lightweight. Only in your bizarro world does defending a boorish bombastic bully make any sense at all when someone puts him on ignore status after he initiates a PM threatening violence because he didn't like a forum post. Sounds like a normal individual to me. :blink: Yet somehow in your feeble mind, I'm a stalker.

By interjecting yourself into the fray that you weren't involved in, you have exposed yourself to be nothing more than a sad follower.

Have a nice day.

IMO, players always trump scheme and I think the theme of drafting players to fit schemes is over done anyway. For instance, Pete Carroll uses personnel in his D that would normally be best suited for 34 concepts and has no problem using them in his 43 fronts. He places the premium on athletic "football" players. It really makes little sense to do anything else.

GO BILLS!!!

Wade Phillips made the point re Denver's D, something to the effect that if you've got great football players and you can't use them effectively in your scheme, maybe it's your scheme that's the problem. Still, there are few players who can play at their highest level in any role or situation. Even great all-around players have strengths and weaknesses.

I've been mostly staying out of this thread, but I have to comment that I think "The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity" and to a lesser degree the "Obnoxiously Obtuse Optimists" would be great names for a band.

The thing is, while some posters are whining about how horrid it is to have so much negativity or so much unfounded optimism, some of us here are just going about our business, discussing various positive and negative viewpoints with a good degree of respect and some reasoned points or data or logic behind each point of view.

The Shaq Lawson surgery has drawn so much criticism precisely because of the way the Bills, spearheaded by Whaley, presented the draft and the Lawson pick in particular. If they had presented it as "Our medical staff think he can play out the season and have surgery afterwards. We know there's a worst case where he might need surgery and miss part of the season, but we think he's a game changing talent and the chance to draft a game-changing talent at #19 was too good to pass up," few people would be fussing now.

Instead the draft was introduced with glee as "three Day 1 starters" and a speech about how Whaley has complete faith in our medical staff and they cleared Lawson to play. That's what makes the reversal draw criticism, because it sounds as though they really don't know what's o'clock. They sound either incompetent, or "playing" the long-suffering fans.

The FO deserves some criticism for how this was handled, even if Shaq's surgery is a smashing success and he's back to smashing people by October.

Edited by Hopeful

This board is all about content. People come here to read new and interesting opinions and information about the Bills (and the NFL in general). There are some incredibly well-informed and articulate contributors here; after a while, you get to know who they are and, if you are like me, you pay much closer attention to what they say because they clearly know what they are talking about and they say it in an interesting way. These posters fall on both sides of the realist/optimist divide, but for me, most are in the former camp. It bothers me to see those posters attacked or mocked because I want them to stick around and keep sharing their opinions.

As McBride said upthread, the Bills are a sick organization and have been for a long time. Although it is nice to finally have owners who are willing do what it takes to win, it's not at all clear that the Pegulas know how to do it. (I know--heresy!). The know-nothing coach reports directly to the owner, and there seems to be no clear, coherent plan in place, probably because there are too many hands on the wheel. The signs of a major turnaround are scarce, even though the team now seems to have a few more talented pieces than it did in the darkest days of the ongoing drought. Many of us still see an organization that is behind the curve in the modern NFL. Until that changes, we will continue to view everything this organization says and does with a skeptical eye. So far, we've been right a lot more than we've been wrong.

Don't you want to read a few more times that it is ok to go from 54 to 21 sacks, and then draft an injured defensive end?

You are a provocateur! Carrying a torch into the powder keg storage shed can be hazardous. :pirate:

Where is Beerball? Has the disciplinarian left the premises? It's getting nasty in here. The personal attacks from both sides of the aisle have gotten a little out of hand. Let's lower the thermostat because it is getting too hot here. What the heck. Training camp hasn't even started yet.

You are a provocateur! Carrying a torch into the powder keg storage shed can be hazardous. :pirate:

Where is Beerball? Has the disciplinarian left the premises? It's getting nasty in here. The personal attacks from both sides of the aisle have gotten a little out of hand. Let's lower the thermostat because it is getting too hot here. What the heck. Training camp hasn't even started yet.

My hope is that after this thread ends, people will resist being critical of every poster who doesn't absolutely love Rex, Whaley, etc. Maybe some will even think twice before blaming actual fans for the Bills woes, and insulting them for being unhappy with the nauseating state of affairs.

And Badol is correct. We ALL have our own set of coping mechanisms. We have to.

My hope is that after this thread ends, people will resist being critical of every poster who doesn't absolutely love Rex, Whaley, etc. Maybe some will even think twice before blaming actual fans for the Bills woes, and insulting them for being unhappy with the nauseating state of affairs.

Bill, a big part of the problem is that the vast majority of posters don't do what you're describing here, yet more than a few folks want to paint it that way.

That rankles me far, far more than most criticisms leveled at the organization

You will rarely, if ever, see a poster taken to task for having doubts about Rex/Whaley/etc and stating so in a reasonable fashion

You will, however, see an opinion questioned if it appears unjustified or is presented in an obnoxious or combative manner

Edited by thebandit27

I was also in there hating on emoulds in the Cordy Glenn thread.....just didnt want to believe it.

This time when Emoulds dropped his E bomb......I just kept my mouth shut....whoever he is he obviously is connected in some way to the team

I dont view this as the same as the Emoulds drops.....who gives specific in the know information....

nobody....NOBODY could have predicted how inflexible Rex Ryans D schemes were actually going to be to last year's defense......I dont care what anyone says....I still feel that he just got lack of buy in and needed some players to leave so that he can bring his own brand of D to the team

Will it end up being as good as Schwartz D? I have to see it to believe it....but I think it will be better then last years

why not? Why not give the same respect to posters who know enough about the game to call out what happens in the future? There were about 4 or 5 of us warning heavily about what Rex would bring to the table. We aren't looking for a pat on the back just the place it deserves in respect. Some people who present negative opinions aren't doing it just to **** on the team. They're doing it because its reality.

We will have more int's in 2016. But we will have marginally more sacks, more 4-11 yard passes against.More touchdowns against. Our linebackers will be exploited. And we will be a strong team on the cusp of the playoffs built around offensive ability faltering on lack of preparedness and defensive adaptation.

Are you a drinker?

You didn't WANT that inside info on Shaq?

I think I speak for the entire board when I say, if you don't like someone posting correct inside info, please don't say anything. 99.9% of us actually appreciate the tips.

FYI, I un-blocked you. I have come to realize that's a pretty ridiculous setting.

Yes, I get it -- people want the inside scoop. I guess I'm a little bit different. I'll ignore the inside info posts.

Believe it or not, this board is just fun for me -- a casual diversion. Most of my posts are light, sarcastic, or poor attempts at humor. But I am an optimistic person and I don't like bullies or those who are on crusades; that's when I tend to speak up.

I'm also not concerned about being labeled a "homer" or "pollyanna" -- my content speaks for itself. I look for the positives in any situation while acknowledging the reality of what has happened in the past. It's a shame there are some who believe beating optimistic fans over the head with repetitive diatribes about what has gone wrong for the past 15 years is evidence they are "realistic" fans.

You will rarely, if ever, see a poster taken to task for having doubts about Rex/Whaley/etc and stating so in a reasonable fashion

You will, however, see an opinion questioned if it appears unjustified or is presented in an obnoxious or combative manner

1000% correct.

My hope is that after this thread we'll stop seeing so much bile in this place. We get it, some posters don't like the coach or the GM, but it doesn't need to be the overriding theme of every single thread. A few posters are dragging this board down from what used to be a pretty high level of intelligent football conversation to the CNN.COM political comments section.

24-7 or not, I'll put my contributions here up against yours on any day. Like I posted earlier, you are a zero and a lightweight. Only in your bizarro world does defending a boorish bombastic bully make any sense at all when someone puts him on ignore status after he initiates a PM threatening violence because he didn't like a forum post. Sounds like a normal individual to me. :blink: Yet somehow in your feeble mind, I'm a stalker.

By interjecting yourself into the fray that you weren't involved in, you have exposed yourself to be nothing more than a sad follower.

Have a nice day.

I appreciate your links and research and posts. My only complaint against you is you constantly beat me to the punch with my finds. :thumbsup:

You're right; not the same as Emoulds's inside tip on Shaq and Cordy, but go back and read BigK's post from August 2 last year. He forecast a big drop off on D due to Rex trying to jam a square peg into a round hole and lack of buy-in from the players, using Dareus as an example. He also predicted an improved offense.

FWIW, the guy also correctly predicted the Bills would use their first three draft picks on defense this year, in an effort to salvage Rex's wreck of a defense. (Actually, they used their first four picks on defense, including the 4th they traded to move up for RR.)

its sad that because this is a message board people are discredited. Yet if Meril Hoge said it we would soak it up then flame him because he doesn't know how great Joe Thirdstring us at ILB.

Wade Phillips made the point re Denver's D, something to the effect that if you've got great football players and you can't use them effectively in your scheme, maybe it's your scheme that's the problem. Still, there are few players who can play at their highest level in any role or situation. Even great all-around players have strengths and weaknesses.

I've been mostly staying out of this thread, but I have to comment that I think "The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity" and to a lesser degree the "Obnoxiously Obtuse Optimists" would be great names for a band.

The thing is, while some posters are whining about how horrid it is to have so much negativity or so much unfounded optimism, some of us here are just going about our business, discussing various positive and negative viewpoints with a good degree of respect and some reasoned points or data or logic behind each point of view.

The Shaq Lawson surgery has drawn so much criticism precisely because of the way the Bills, spearheaded by Whaley, presented the draft and the Lawson pick in particular. If they had presented it as "Our medical staff think he can play out the season and have surgery afterwards. We know there's a worst case where he might need surgery and miss part of the season, but we think he's a game changing talent and the chance to draft a game-changing talent at #19 was too good to pass up," few people would be fussing now.

Instead the draft was introduced with glee as "three Day 1 starters" and a speech about how Whaley has complete faith in our medical staff and they cleared Lawson to play. That's what makes the reversal draw criticism, because it sounds as though they really don't know what's o'clock. They sound either incompetent, or "playing" the long-suffering fans.

The FO deserves some criticism for how this was handled, even if Shaq's surgery is a smashing success and he's back to smashing people by October.

Right on both counts. Players should fit the scheme and Whaley should have been a man about it all and told what even the casual observer sees. Lawson was getting surgery at some point and to paint or spin a scenario that suggests anyone knew exactly what would happen is not very truthful.