Best Credit Cards for Points, Rewards, Airline Miles, etc.

We have two credit cards (Bank of America cash rewards) and UPromise (where you rack up points and UPromise deposits money into our kids' College 529 Plans). The money they put in to the 529 Plans is really nothing to write home about ($10 one month, $6 the next month).

I'm wondering if there are any really attractive credit cards out there that give back larger rewards, cash, airline miles, etc. I was thinking of the Bills VISA but not sure if the rewards are really that great.

What cards do you guys use. Do you have any weird combinations of numbers for your account? I bet my expiration date is later than yours...what's with the secret code on the back? Do you know your three number security code by heart?

Assuming the first 2 paragraphs of the OP were serious, see the "Quick Summary" on the first page of this very long thread:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/711457/

That's a great link. Thanks. A lot of attractive offers out there. We've had the same two cards for 15 years (we're not ones who do balance transfers every year) but it certainly looks like we missed out on some nice rewards.

That's a great link. Thanks. A lot of attractive offers out there. We've had the same two cards for 15 years (we're not ones who do balance transfers every year) but it certainly looks like we missed out on some nice rewards.

there are strategies out there where people basically never pay for travel by gaming travel etc. The POints Guy http://thepointsguy.com/prolly gets 6 new cards a year...has closed and then reopened a card as many as 8 times to get the signup bonuses.

there are strategies out there where people basically never pay for travel by gaming travel etc. The POints Guy http://thepointsguy.com/prolly gets 6 new cards a year...has closed and then reopened a card as many as 8 times to get the signup bonuses.

I know a couple people that do this. Gotta be careful to make sure you don't !@#$ up along the way. There's also the possibility of getting denied/cards cancelled if they're onto you.

I was thinking of the Bills VISA but not sure if the rewards are really that great.

It's not. Sure there are some neat team/nfl rewards, but nothing substantial enough to make it a primary card for me. I only have it to pay for my season tickets, since they offer a 0% interest for that purchase.

It's not. Sure there are some neat team/nfl rewards, but nothing substantial enough to make it a primary card for me. I only have it to pay for my season tickets, since they offer a 0% interest for that purchase.

Great idea.

i've had my discover since 1999 when i turned 18. i get the cashback on everything and i get 5% on quarterly whatevers. maybe one day i'll upgrade.

i'd like a wrangler. not that i want a jeep card. but would one of you give me a wrangler? i'll give you an !@#$ donkey.

Starwood Hotels.

We have an AMEX that gives cash rewards. Extra for groceries and gas I think.

I've seen a lot of Hampton Inns, Courtyard by Marriot and Fairfield Inns but never heard of "Starwood Hotels". Is this one of those "no tell motels" that sits along a side road in CT that Buffalo Bill frequents? How's the continental breakfast?

I've seen a lot of Hampton Inns, Courtyard by Marriot and Fairfield Inns but never heard of "Starwood Hotels". Is this one of those "no tell motels" that sits along a side road in CT that Buffalo Bill frequents? How's the continental breakfast?

Sheraton is the big one I know, but here's all their brands...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/about/index.html?categoryId=brand.ourBrands

It will be interesting to see what Marriot does with them since they bought them.

Myself, I have two primary credit cards, for work expenses I use a Delta Amex to get miles, and personal I have an IHG (Holiday Inn) card for hotel points.

Sheraton is the big one I know, but here's all their brands...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/about/index.html?categoryId=brand.ourBrands

It will be interesting to see what Marriot does with them since they bought them.

Myself, I have two primary credit cards, for work expenses I use a Delta Amex to get miles, and personal I have an IHG (Holiday Inn) card for hotel points.

Aren't Courtyard and Hampton Inn owned by Marriot? I have Hampton Inn "club card" which lets you rack up points for benefits but it's not a credit card.

Aren't Courtyard and Hampton Inn owned by Marriot? I have Hampton Inn "club card" which lets you rack up points for benefits but it's not a credit card.

Courtyard's are owned by Marriott and Hampton Inn are owned by Hilton. I have a Marriott Visa. They always wave the annual fee and the points are pretty good for free stays and upgrades at Marriott properties. I pay it off monthly, so the rate is irrelevant.

I have a Southwest Card that I have used quite a bit and I havent paid for a flight in a long time. If you want to use it for anything besides flights though, you get rooked. I like Southwest because its very accessible. I just had to cancel a flight 30 hours ahead of time and the restored all my points and the $11 security fee. They also throw me a lot of ways to get a bunch of bonus points, drink coupons for flights, etc...

I switched my primary card to a Fidelity Amex. I believe it is 2%. It converts the points to money that it deposits into a Roth IRA account.

Edited by May Day 10

I switched my primary card to a Fidelity Amex. I believe it is 2%. It converts the points to money that it deposits into a Roth IRA account.

+1 on the Fidelity cash back card - the money (2%) gets deposited to your Fidelity account which you can then transfer to brokerage accounts, 529, IRA etc.

FYI - it looks like it's transitioning from AMEX to Visa this year - just saw this

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/fidelity-shift-amex-visa-effect-cardholders/

Courtyard's are owned by Marriott and Hampton Inn are owned by Hilton. I have a Marriott Visa. They always wave the annual fee and the points are pretty good for free stays and upgrades at Marriott properties. I pay it off monthly, so the rate is irrelevant.

They waive your annual fee? I just signed up a few months ago and started using it, how do you get the fees waived?

My main card is the Citi Prestige:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card

$450 annual fee, which is steep, but it makes sense for me. Here's why:

1.) $250 airline credit (which can be used for airfare) each year.

2.) Fourth night free for all hotels booked through the Citi Prestige concierge.

3.) Lounge access to Admiral's Club when flying American Airlines.

4.) Points are worth 60% more when redeeming on American Airlines.

5.) You get a full subscription to Priority Pass (giving access to Priority Pass lounges).

6.) You get a credit to refund global entry (yay free TSA Pre-check)

While the $450 is expensive, I more than get the value out of it every year. I charge everything to my Citi cards and then pay it off every month.