Bears release Matt Slauson -Signed w/ San Diego

JM57

If they only have the money to add 1 player, it should be a RT.

I put RT #2 on the priority list. WR is #1. Not that a RG isn't 3rd. Slauson would have been a nice addition. I'll be interested to see what he's getting paid in Sandy-A-Go. There's no guarantee that a quality player at any position of need will become available so it'd have been nice to cross off one of my top 3.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure the Bills are looking for help at G, considering they wanted Slauson to play T. Too bad we missed out on Slauson.....he def. woud've upgraded the line probably for a fairly reasonable price too.

Whaley doesn't typically bring in competition for his higher draft picks until it's blatantly obvious those players won't work out. Perhaps they weren't as interested in Slauson as SD, but I wouldn't expect the Bills to sign someone who'd likely put John Miller off his back and onto the bench.

Whaley doesn't typically bring in competition for his higher draft picks until it's blatantly obvious those players won't work out. Perhaps they weren't as interested in Slauson as SD, but I wouldn't expect the Bills to sign someone who'd likely put John Miller off his back and onto the bench.

:lol: You're hilarious.

Dude just completed the 3rd draft of his GM career.

Who are all these draft picks that needed competition right away to set this trend? Sammy Watkins? Ronald Darby?

I guess you'll say Kujo, but then I could point out that he picked competition in that same draft with Henderson. And they even brought in some FAs to try as well.

You talk about Miller, but we just signed veteran G and previous starter Fernando Velasco. And have been in the OG market for the past 2 seasons.

For the sake of the argument, I'll even give you the 2013 draft. But wait, he signed Kolb along with "his" EJ pick, and then numerous vet QBs since then.

Your statement simply isnt true. But keep the crusade going.

:lol: You're hilarious.

Dude just completed the 3rd draft of his GM career.

Who are all these draft picks that needed competition right away to set this trend? Sammy Watkins? Ronald Darby?

I guess you'll say Kujo, but then I could point out that he picked competition in that same draft with Henderson. And they even brought in some FAs to try as well.

You talk about Miller, but we just signed veteran G and previous starter Fernando Velasco. And have been in the OG market for the past 2 seasons.

For the sake of the argument, I'll even give you the 2013 draft. But wait, he signed Kolb along with "his" EJ pick, and then numerous vet QBs since then.

Your statement simply isnt true. But keep the crusade going.

this is no place for facts.

I agree to an extent. Although the Percy Harvin signing contradicts this point.

They showed good initiative in signing Harvin, who represented someone to take coverage away from Watkins. I think he was actually leading the team in receiving before the injury last season and probably took time from Woods. But you need 3 WRs in the modern NFL and targets were limited because TT wasn't throwing over the middle as much.

Slauson probably didn't want to play RT and they weren't looking at him as a starter at RG. For a team that's now in year 3 of "win now" looking at Slauson as strictly a RT to ensure a draft pick continues to play is perplexing. If Miller doesn't show improvement, particularly in pass blocking, it'll be another move second guessed.

They showed good initiative in signing Harvin, who represented someone to take coverage away from Watkins. I think he was actually leading the team in receiving before the injury last season and probably took time from Woods. But you need 3 WRs in the modern NFL and targets were limited because TT wasn't throwing over the middle as much.

Slauson probably didn't want to play RT and they weren't looking at him as a starter at RG. For a team that's now in year 3 of "win now" looking at Slauson as strictly a RT to ensure a draft pick continues to play is perplexing. If Miller doesn't show improvement, particularly in pass blocking, it'll be another move second guessed.

The problem is that you're assuming the reason they looked at Slauson for the RT role is to preserve Miller's role in the offense.

I'm not sure why.

For me, it's plainly obvious that they don't want to spend FA dollars on the guard position after giving Richie his contract. If they're going to spend FA money on the OL, they want it to be at tackle--the more premium position.

Clearly they feel that RT is a bigger weakness--as well they should IMO; Miller was solid as a run blocker, but needs to improve in pass protection. They also have a reliable backup with experience in Velasco. That they're deciding between Henderson, Mills, and Kouandjio at RT is a much bigger concern, though not nearly as dire as some here make it seem.

• 2 weeks later...