RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardale's ceiling is as high as any QB in this draft (including Goff and Wentz). His floor is pretty low as well. With such a low percentage of QBs actually making it, why not take the guy who could be great? The pick made total sense in the 4th round.

With that being said, we need to be patient with him. He is raw and inexperienced. He is different than the last raw QB though because that guy had 40 something starts in college. I've seen every snap that Cardale has taken and he can do it all. He is a long, long way from playing though IMO. I'd say a minimum of 2 years.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

one had to move to wide out, one is still there and when he finishes he also will have to move to wide out, and then there is jones

Barrett is too slow to play WR IMO. If he has a good last 2 seasons he may get a try out as a udfa QB. Jmo

The OSU QB turned WR who is going to be an absolute stud is Torrance Gibson.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Cardale's ceiling is as high as any QB in this draft (including Goff and Wentz). His floor is pretty low as well. With such a low percentage of QBs actually making it, why not take the guy who could be great? The pick made total sense in the 4th round.

With that being said, we need to be patient with him. He is raw and inexperienced. He is different than the last raw QB though because that guy had 40 something starts in college. I've seen every snap that Cardale has take and he can do it all. He is a long, long way from playing though IMO. I'd say a minimum of 2 years.

I really wish we could just pin this comment to the top of the board for the next couple of years.

I was born and raised in Ohio and have been a lifelong Buckeye fan. With that said, I've had the opportunity to watch quite a few of his games.

Here are some of my observations:

• The guy has moxy. He's humbly confident, but not overly arrogant.
  • He's even keel. He does not seem to get easily shaken when things go wrong.
  • He's an easy going jokester. He definitely comes from the Rex Ryan "family tree"
  • He's still a little bit immature (which is not surprising for a young guy). With that said, it's not difficult to see the Urban Meyer influence. He knows how to carry himself and is also well aware of what to say and what not to say to the press.
  • The dude has a rocket for an arm. It is elite.
  • He throws a pretty good deep ball and has an affinity for the big plays.
  • He's not quick, but he's not slow. He's like a bowling bowl barreling down the lane. He doesn't go down easily. Reminds me a little bit of Roethlisberger.
  • He's inconsistent. The offense would stall, largely due to his inconsistent (in)accuracy.
  • He's a roller coaster to follow. One minute you love him for his guts and big play ability. Another minute, you want him benched for missing a wide open wide receiver.
  • He's built for more of a pro style offense than an Urban Meyer offense. Meyer likes a legitimate dual threat QB. Cardale can run if he has to but is not a dual threat QB.
  • He can lead, but comparatively, is not the natural born leader that J.T. Barrett is. His teammates seemed to rally around J.T. more than Cardale.
Edited by ohioandy

Loved our top 3 picks. This Cardale pick was a waste of a pick. Any QB outside Wentz and possibly Lynch was a waste of a pick. John Theus, Joe Dahl, Joe Haeg, all would've been a better pick than Cardale. We already had a Cardale Jones on our roster. Now we have 2 QBs "that look the part."

How is it the CJ spends the off-season working with a QB coach - George Whitfield - who instructed him on how to step back from under center, then he gets to mini-camp and David Lee tells him that that's all wrong, he should step back another way. I don't know which coach is right, but I would have thought there would be some agreement as to a basic QB skill such as this. Now CJ has to unlearn a technique he just learned - and, I assume - he was doing yet a 3rd technique while under center at OSU.

So I'm confused, does anyone get this?

Loved our top 3 picks. This Cardale pick was a waste of a pick. Any QB outside Wentz and possibly Lynch was a waste of a pick. John Theus, Joe Dahl, Joe Haeg, all would've been a better pick than Cardale. We already had a Cardale Jones on our roster. Now we have 2 QBs "that look the part."

He didn't win a national championship or anything like that. He's just an ej clone !

Lame.

How is it the CJ spends the off-season working with a QB coach - George Whitfield - who instructed him on how to step back from under center, then he gets to mini-camp and David Lee tells him that that's all wrong, he should step back another way. I don't know which coach is right, but I would have thought there would be some agreement as to a basic QB skill such as this. Now CJ has to unlearn a technique he just learned - and, I assume - he was doing yet a 3rd technique while under center at OSU.

So I'm confused, does anyone get this?

David Lee made fitz worse iirc.

Even if all Cardale amounts to is an EJ clone he was worth the pick. EJ is not under contract after this season, and he's not worth a new contract.

One guy had 40 something college starts, the other was 11-0 (or 12-0 cant remember) with a national championship. They were both raw coming out but the experience level is different.

It is decided then. Kid sucks & will never amount to anything. (You've seen one you've seen 'em all)

One guy had 40 something college starts, the other was 11-0 (or 12-0 cant remember) with a national championship. They were both raw coming out but the experience level is different.

What the organization did with the drafting of Cardale is do what they should have been doing in past drafts i.e. regularly select qb prospects (wherever in the draft) so that the quantity of qb prospects will from a statistical standpoint give you a better chance to find a good prospect. The most successful franchise in modern era, the Pats, takes that approach. If a qb prospect doesn't progress then they move on to the next prospect. They certainly are not debilitated because a qb doesn't work out. They just move on with their constant quest of searching for another qb to work with. The Packers also do that. They regularly draft qbs. If some of them show promise and they can't play them because they have Aaron Rogers then they trade the enticing prospect (asset) for a draft pick higher than where they selected the player.

It's obvious that Cardale Jones has physical tools. It's also obvious that he is a raw prospect. By bringing him in the fold the coaching staff will have a good grasp as to whether he is capable of developing into a franchise qb. If not, then do what the Pats and other teams do, bring in more prospects.

I not only liked the drafting of Cardale Jones but I especially liked where he was drafted. Whaley not only had a good draft but he also had a smart draft.