Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt they'd want to do that since they can't spread the $12M guaranteed out over 3 seasons.

Yeah. Offer 3 years they could soften the blow, but they are pinched for cap space right now and will need as much as they can for Wilkerson. They'd need to free up $9 million in cap space. No way they do that without some veteran cuts or major restructures.

Agreed. It's a smart negotiating move on Fitz's part calling out the team as they would have to move too much to clear up $12 mil, vs. a three year deal where they could do most as a signing bonus and spread out over three years.

With every day I'm more and more influenced to see the Jets squirm and cave. I should want this to go on and not sign him as a Bills fan, but I like Fitz. He proved it last year, and earned a nice last contract that is fair. 3 year $36 mil with $20 mil guaranteed, so he basically gets $12 mil a year, Jets really locked in for two years, and could walk in year three. That is very fair on both sides.

He still would be one of the lowest paid starting QB's in the league.

@mmehtanydn

Jets are not interested in giving Ryan Fitzpatrick a 1-year, $12 million deal, per sources. Will not be happening.

@statsonfire

Jets Insider @MMehtaNYDN on chance Jets may move on from Fitz: "There is, & I think its coming a lot sooner than some people might expect"

I actually think that a 1 year deal would be a mistake for the Jets. I have no confidence in Geno, Petty or Sackenberg though. The Jets should try to tie him up for 3 years with $25M guaranteed or something.

If you look at the Jets' stance based on how they have approached the contract issue what it indicates is that they don't view Fitz too highly. In the short run he is their best option but in the not too distant future they don't want to be tied to him or be encumbered by his salary after the first year.

There is no doubt that the Jets are currently in a cap bind this year. They don't want to make the necessary player cuts or salary adjustments to fit in a reasonable contract to lock in a player that they know they don't want to be married to.

Many people are trying to frame this Fitz issue in terms of being fair or not fair to a player. From the Jets standpoint fairness has little to do with the Jets calculation. They are trying to build a good roster and buy some time so when they have their preferred franchise qb the team will be in position to seriously compete.

The Jets know exactly what they have in Fitz and that is why they are currently so resolute. Buddy Nix knew exactly what he had with Fitz and that is why he took the stance he did that resulted in Fitz leaving. There is a reason why Fitz has played for six different teams. It certainly is not because the teams he played for coveted his services.

The argument is constantly made by many that the Jets desperately need Fitz. From my perspective it is more of the reverse whereby Fitz needs the Jets because what other options are on the market? The silence is deafening.

I believe a deal will get done. But in my opinion it will be structured in such a way that it will not match Fitz's original expectation.

@corryjoel

Even if Jets were open to $12M/1 year deal for Ryan Fitzpatrick, it would be hard with $3.5M of cap room. Voidable years would be necessary.

@albertbreer

If there's a 1-year compromise for Jets/Fitzpatrick, could look like this: Base ~$8M; p/t and playoff incentives that push it to/past $12M.

If you look at the Jets' stance based on how they have approached the contract issue what it indicates is that they don't view Fitz too highly. In the short run he is their best option but in the not too distant future they don't want to be tied to him or be encumbered by his salary after the first year.

There is no doubt that the Jets are currently in a cap bind this year. They don't want to make the necessary player cuts or salary adjustments to fit in a reasonable contract to lock in a player that they know they don't want to be married to.

Many people are trying to frame this Fitz issue in terms of being fair or not fair to a player. From the Jets standpoint fairness has little to do with the Jets calculation. They are trying to build a good roster and buy some time so when they have their preferred franchise qb the team will be in position to seriously compete.

The Jets know exactly what they have in Fitz and that is why they are currently so resolute. Buddy Nix knew exactly what he had with Fitz and that is why he took the stance he did that resulted in Fitz leaving. There is a reason why Fitz has played for six different teams. It certainly is not because the teams he played for coveted his services.

The argument is constantly made by many that the Jets desperately need Fitz. From my perspective it is more of the reverse whereby Fitz needs the Jets because what other options are on the market? The silence is deafening.

I believe a deal will get done. But in my opinion it will be structured in such a way that it will not match Fitz's original expectation.

There's no doubt that they need each other. The Jets need Fitz more than he needs the Jets. He's made enough money in his career that he will be okay not doing anything this year. The Jets other options are atrocious and they are a borderline playoff team with Fitz. They are MAYBE a 6 win team with those other guys. It's a 2 way street. It appears that neither side is going to crawl back to the other.

There's no doubt that they need each other. The Jets need Fitz more than he needs the Jets. He's made enough money in his career that he will be okay not doing anything this year. The Jets other options are atrocious and they are a borderline playoff team with Fitz. They are MAYBE a 6 win team with those other guys. It's a 2 way street. It appears that neither side is going to crawl back to the other.

Here's where I respectfully disagree with your general approach on this issue. I absolutely agree with you that the Jets are a borderline playoff team with Fitz in the short run. Their new GM has made it clear that is not what he is aspiring to. His strategy is to build a roster that can make a serious playoff run, not just be a fringe playoff qualifier. For the GM it would be better to risk taking a short term hit by not signing Fitz rather than signing him to a contract that will in the not too distant future would inhibit their chances from being a serious team with a more consequential qb.

My position is that Fitz is a good backup qb who happens to start. It appears that is how the Jets perceive him and are structuring their contract parameters to match how they rate him.

The Jets organization watched Fitz in his last game of the season in Buffalo that left them out of the playoffs. Without a doubt after watching that excruciating performance it must have influenced how they were going to approach their contract negotiations with Fitz. They know exactly what they are getting with him and that is how they are valuing him.

If he's unable to get a contract to his liking from the jests my guess is that he sits tight and waits for the inevitable QB injury.

When and if that happens how much will that contract be worth? He's not getting any nibbles now. So even if he is eventually brought in by someone at a very late date how much will he be paid?

@corryjoel

Even if Jets were open to $12M/1 year deal for Ryan Fitzpatrick, it would be hard with $3.5M of cap room. Voidable years would be necessary.

@albertbreer

If there's a 1-year compromise for Jets/Fitzpatrick, could look like this: Base ~$8M; p/t and playoff incentives that push it to/past $12M.

Yeah, it seems like the two sides are tracking to a 3 year deal with 2 voidable years at about $12M for the one season.

When and if that happens how much will that contract be worth? He's not getting any nibbles now. So even if he is eventually brought in by someone at a very late date how much will he be paid?

Depends on how late & what team, doesn't it? What if Romo blew out his shoulder early in TC? What if (insert contending team here) lost their QB after week 2 of the season?

If his options are to sign somewhere as a backup or bide his time I think he's better off biding his time.

Here's where I respectfully disagree with your general approach on this issue. I absolutely agree with you that the Jets are a borderline playoff team with Fitz in the short run. Their new GM has made it clear that is not what he is aspiring to. His strategy is to build a roster that can make a serious playoff run, not just be a fringe playoff qualifier. For the GM it would be better to risk taking a short term hit by not signing Fitz rather than signing him to a contract that will in the not too distant future would inhibit their chances from being a serious team with a more consequential qb.

My position is that Fitz is a good backup qb who happens to start. It appears that is how the Jets perceive him and are structuring their contract parameters to match how they rate him.

The Jets organization watched Fitz in his last game of the season in Buffalo that left them out of the playoffs. Without a doubt after watching that excruciating performance it must have influenced how they were going to approach their contract negotiations with Fitz. They know exactly what they are getting with him and that is how they are valuing him.

I just don't see how this is possible. How does signing Fitz to a 2-3 year deal inhibit their chances to find a better QB? Unless you're suggesting they tank.

The fallacy inherent in your argument is this false choice. Signing Fitz does not mean they can't find a better QB in the next 3 years. Did signing Matt Flynn prevent Seattle from finding Wilson? Did having Bledsoe on the roster prevent the Pats from finding Brady? Favre and Rodgers? Brees and Rivers? Peyton and Luck?

Edited by FireChan

Have you seen much of Petty or Hackenberg? I'm sure that you have seen Geno. What I think you are missing is how large the gap is between Fitz and those guys. There is a chasm between them. Those guys are awful, awful, awful.

To bring it around it would be like the Bills pretending they were comfortable with EJ while Tyrod sat at home. They wouldn't be fooling anybody (including Tyrod).

The last 2 years were maybe the best of Fitz's career. He completed over 60% with 48 TDs and 23 INTs. That's so much better than anyone else on that roster. Even the players know it.

I do agree that they don't want to be saddled to him long term but he even approached them about a 1 year deal. They want him for a few years. The QB of the future isn't on that roster IMO. They need 2-3 years of Fitz. They know that too which is why they won't accept his 1 year offer. In order to get 2-3 years of Fitz they are going to have to be way more reasonable than they are now. It sounds like $12M a year will be his floor. That's great value for the Jets when you look around the league. If they don't sign him they win 5-6 games and have a disgruntled Marshall and Decker. That whole thing can implode. The Jets aren't fooling anyone playing hardball. They need him desperately and he knows it.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Have you seen much of Petty or Hackenberg? I'm sure that you have seen Geno. What I think you are missing is how large the gap is between Fitz and those guys. There is a chasm between them. Those guys are awful, awful, awful.

To bring it around it would be like the Bills pretending they were comfortable with EJ while Tyrod sat at home. They wouldn't be fooling anybody (including Tyrod).

The last 2 years were maybe the best of Fitz's career. He completed over 60% with 48 TDs and 23 INTs. That's so much better than anyone else on that roster. Even the players know it.

I do agree that they don't want to be saddled to him long term but he even approached them about a 1 year deal. They want him for a few years. The QB of the future isn't on that roster IMO. They need 2-3 years of Fitz. They know that too which is why they won't accept his 1 year offer. In order to get 2-3 years of Fitz they are going to have to be way more reasonable than they are now. It sounds like $12M a year will be his floor. That's great value for the Jets when you look around the league. If they don't sign him they win 5-6 games and have a disgruntled Marshall and Decker. That whole thing can implode. The Jets aren't fooling anyone playing hardball. They need him desperately and he knows it.

This ^

Fitz isn't Brady but hes a hell of alot better than Geno, Hack or Petty. Jets playing a dangerous game.

Worst for them is they keep acting like its a done deal that Fitz returns. How does that affect the rest of the team? Geno can't feel great about it. Neither can Decker or Marshall. Even Matt Forte would be upset if they didnt get Fitz back

The Jets certainly aren't showing the desperation that you believe they should exhibit. I agree with you that if Fitz is not on the roster this year they don't currently have a credible option at qb. But that doesn't mean that they can't go out and get another pedestrian veteran who could be the reasonably priced bridge qb.

Where I differ from you and most other posters position on this issue is that even acknowledging that Fitz had a good year last year I don't think much of him as a starter. Nix was willing to allow Fritz to leave the scene and it appears to me that the Jets aren't afraid of him leaving the scene. Another example of an organization establishing a value on a qb and refusing to budge from their valuation is Denver. Elway was not afraid to lose Osweiller when their contract ceiling was established creating a void at that critical position.

Most posters are insisting that the Jets can't not sign Fitz even if it is more than what they are willing to sign him for. Their actions so far is indicating a different mind set to the conventional reasoning being offered.

The Jets certainly aren't showing the desperation that you believe they should exhibit. I agree with you that if Fitz is not on the roster this year they don't currently have a credible option at qb. But that doesn't mean that they can't go out and get another pedestrian veteran who could be the reasonably priced bridge qb.

Where I differ from you and most other posters position on this issue is that even acknowledging that Fitz had a good year last year I don't think much of him as a starter. Nix was willing to allow Fritz to leave the scene and it appears to me that the Jets aren't afraid of him leaving the scene. Another example of an organization establishing a value on a qb and refusing to budge from their valuation is Denver. Elway was not afraid to lose Osweiller when their contract ceiling was established creating a void at that critical position.

Most posters are insisting that the Jets can't not sign Fitz even if it is more than what they are willing to sign him for. Their actions so far is indicating a different mind set to the conventional reasoning being offered.

Great points in this post and many fans love to simply ignore facts when using their jumping to conclusions mats. Let's just start with the presumption that Fitz is worth somewhere in the range of $10-12 million per year for 2-3 years with some guaranteed money. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't worth that much. The Jets have a total of $3.1 million available to spend and already have lost 4 defensive starters from last year. Damon Harrison, Demario Davis, Calvin Pace and Antonio Cromartie. They have players penciled in to replace them, but Harrison and Davis will be missed on defense. How do they make room for a $10-12 million QB this year? There's simply not many guys on their roster that they could or would cut/trade to make room for an aging quarterback that isn't the future of the franchise.

Wilkerson will get you $15.7 million, but the defense immediately takes a big dump. Mangold gets you $8.6 million. Enough to do it, but now your offensive line takes a serious hit with having to start Wesley Johnson. Do you cut Eric Decker to save $3.5 million or Ryan Clady for $3.0? I'm not sure you start parting with starters to make room for the Amish Rifle. They would have to find a way to trade guys that right now would have an even worse impact on their roster if they were just cut. Buster Skrine for example is a $7.75 million cap hit for them in 2016. Cutting him would add another $2.5 million to that hit. Who is going to trade for a player that's performing under their pay grade with a guaranteed contract? Their actions as you say (sort of) are following conventional reasoning that they're somewhat handcuffed in their situation of having a ton of dead money on their roster.

Who on the market is capable of 4,000 yards and 31 TDs and taking $8M or less? There is nobody that will do that. If they are going to trade for someone capable of that it will cost them a 2nd at least. In terms of Osweiler Elway did the right thing. He didn't pay $18M+ for a guy that many don't think is very good. If Elway was offering him $8M and he drew the line at $12M people would be crucifying Elway like they are the Jets.

The Jets are super desperate. They thought that hardball would work and it hasn't. The Jets know that they have to have him. Fitz has shown ZERO inclination of taking some $8M a year offer. Again, they need him way more than he needs them. He has made $40M in his career on the field, with a Harvard education. Sportrac calculates his market value at $13.2M and 4 years at $53M (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/ryan-fitzpatrick/market-value/). They have 3 AWFUL options behind him. If the Jets aren't paying him at least $12M he isn't playing there.

The Jets need their starting QB much more than Ryan Fitzpatrick needs the lowball offer. The Jets are backed into the corner, not Fitz. He can wait until training camp if he wants and to see if someone gets hurt. He can sit the year out. The leverage belongs to FItz. Even if we say that he is only the 25th best QB in the league (for example) the next guys that the have wouldn't crack the top 50. It isn't like they have an option 1A. If they did hardball may work.

I tried to use the Bills example earlier because I think that it is the same situation. If Tyrod was holding out and the Bills were telling you that they were comfortable with EJ as their starter would you believe them? Would anyone? Of course not!! They thought that they could bully Fitz into a lowball offer but he is smart enough to know that they have no choice. The market is what it is and they will be forced to cave. Even in caving they will get him below his market value which they should consider a win. They just aren't getting him at 1/2 off.

Great points in this post and many fans love to simply ignore facts when using their jumping to conclusions mats. Let's just start with the presumption that Fitz is worth somewhere in the range of $10-12 million per year for 2-3 years with some guaranteed money. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't worth that much. The Jets have a total of $3.1 million available to spend and already have lost 4 defensive starters from last year. Damon Harrison, Demario Davis, Calvin Pace and Antonio Cromartie. They have players penciled in to replace them, but Harrison and Davis will be missed on defense. How do they make room for a $10-12 million QB this year? There's simply not many guys on their roster that they could or would cut/trade to make room for an aging quarterback that isn't the future of the franchise.

Wilkerson will get you $15.7 million, but the defense immediately takes a big dump. Mangold gets you $8.6 million. Enough to do it, but now your offensive line takes a serious hit with having to start Wesley Johnson. Do you cut Eric Decker to save $3.5 million or Ryan Clady for $3.0? I'm not sure you start parting with starters to make room for the Amish Rifle. They would have to find a way to trade guys that right now would have an even worse impact on their roster if they were just cut. Buster Skrine for example is a $7.75 million cap hit for them in 2016. Cutting him would add another $2.5 million to that hit. Who is going to trade for a player that's performing under their pay grade with a guaranteed contract? Their actions as you say (sort of) are following conventional reasoning that they're somewhat handcuffed in their situation of having a ton of dead money on their roster.

Every team in the league makes the room for their QB. They come first. They can extend Wilkerson and lower his cap hit by $6M. Brent Ginacomini saves you $5M. That puts you at $14M+ in cap space which is plenty to fit a $12M a year into. Kenbrell Thompkins saves you another $1.6M. The cap space isn't even a little concern. The Jets are complete idiots. You can play hardball with a lot of different positions and minimize the drop off. It isn't like they have McCarron or someone like that on the roster that can fill in. The guys behind Fitz are atrocious.

Edited by Kirby Jackson